Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 19-Dec-2009, 13:55
Bevel Head

Mood: Like the English weather happy go free Beep! Beep!
Front Forks

Howdo!!!
I have a 1994 Superlight that I have be modding for what seems a life time (Its a sickness) I decided to upgrade the front end, got myself a set of showa radial forks n calipers from monster S4/S4R. I dropped them off with Steve at Peak Performance in Exeter back in Sept, due to me being away I only got chance to phone Steve this week. A previous owner has bodged the internals I need to find out what should be inside and if I can source them. The forks themselves are 50mm at the top and 54mm further down and slotted straight into the Superlight yokes (Which is one reason I wanted to stick with them, another is I just got a Ti spindle and a 2nd hand set off BSTs winging its way over from the states).
Are the internals inter-changable between other models? Would a set from another model fit? I think they are 53mm at the top and 53/54/56 at the mid-section. Im going on monday to see the forks and just need to get as much info as possible to see which path to take?????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S4R Radial Forks and Brembo Calipers.JPG (317.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 19-Dec-2009, 14:08
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
I would have thought Steve would have known if they were the same as the 748/916 fork as I remember him riding a very well sorted 718 at Pembrey several years ago.
Forks that use the same external dimensions and are adjustable can be found in bikes like the ST range and other water cooled Monsters

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 19-Dec-2009, 22:31
GTL
Bikes: SS 1000ds

Mood: crashed
Why don't you swap the internals with a new cartridge kit??
Old 21-Dec-2009, 14:50
Bevel Head

Howdo!!!
How's it going Engakats? Just been to look at the inside of the forks! F$%king hell I don't know how somebody could have done that and tried to sell them on. The top adjuster has 3 pins on the inside these were missing or bent and loctited in position,some of the unit is completely missing - best till last the spring is liquid metal/loctited to the inner spacer/sleeve!!!!!! Will stick some pics up. The forks are useless - its cheaper to get another set. Only problem being the other forks are wider, so spoke to Promach who can knock up a new top yoke.........more delay.......more expense........
Bidding on a new set of forks on flea bay (showas from a 848 - nearly went for a shiny set of ohlins R&T forks they are Very Shiny!)
Well dig deep not long now! This bike will get finished!!!

Cheers Pablo.....and I will need a new set of handle bars....bum!
Old 21-Dec-2009, 16:35
GTL
Bikes: SS 1000ds

Mood: crashed

Have you spoken to the seller since?
Old 21-Dec-2009, 22:16
Bevel Head

Howdo!!
Yep got hold off the seller and he's just as shocked and has agreed to repay the money Just had to keep me visa card locked away as there was a nice set of Ohlins R&Ts shiny!!!
Sourced a set of 848 forks and found someone who can machine the yokes so the new forks will fit
Just means everything has delayed everything else, wanted to get the front end sorted before the final strip down and sorting the engine out. One day I won't have anything to tweek, have to ride it then

Cheers Pablo