Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 31-Oct-2011, 13:41
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

Jolley Good Season (2011 Review)

Right, it is about time I recorded a few things for posterity. A few people had tipped Neal or myself as 2011 Class B Champion, but I maintained that Kev P, Phil, Alan and Hugh would all be contenders if things went their way. Firstly a personal summary of how those original contenders did:

Neal: It was just as well I ran him over at Cadwell. If I hadn’t, I have no doubt he would have won the championship. When he got back into the racing frame of mind (around Snetterton) after his big off last year, he seemed able to reel almost anyone in at will (apart from a slight grumpy fit at Anglesey!). Effortlessly fast, similar in many ways to the way Alan rode.

Phil: Well, he won in triumphant form with back to back wins at the final round (the only way he could win). He had similar bad luck to me mechanically, although his was at the first round and could really have got him down. He got his head down, worked through a couple of bad rounds at Snetterton and Castle Combe… and was close enough when it mattered. He may have a dubious set of bike scales, but his determination at Oulton was clear for all to see.

Kev P: Mr consistency. In fact, apart from helping me run over Neal at Cadwell, I think Kev only fell at Oulton in the very last race of the year (when half the Class B field went down). Had a cracking fast bike and knew just how to use it to keep his position of those lightening starts, and was as brave as anyone in some of the faster corners.

Alan: Smooth, calm, and very fast (on a very quick bike). His win at Castle Combe was controlled and calculated (and brave in the last lap with a detached fairing!!). I think Alan was guilty of just having too much fun and being too friendly, and 20 or 30 years ago would probably have demolished the lot of us and walked off with the title.

Hugh: It was no surprise to me that Hugh can be devastatingly quick. What I didn’t realise is just how brave/stupid he can be when he doesn’t even know where the next corner goes! On his day, round a track he knows, he can be unstoppable (a win in his first race and a new course record at Pembrey proved that). So next year, with a little experience under his belt, watch out!

Me: Strangely, I had more demons at the start of the season than I do at the end. My only wins in 2010 came in the wet. I knew I had the skill, but I didn’t quite have the bike to do me justice in the dry. I had the bike rebuilt over winter, and despite not being quite as quick or light as some of the other bikes, it would be enough to get me closer to the fight. Despite this, I obviously worried that my wins were a fluke and I might never win another race (not everyone can win, so who says I should). These demons were put to rest in the first qualifying session, and I didn’t look back.

Many may assume I am gutted about not winning the Championship, but you have to consider I only passed my test in 2007 and this was only my second season racing. I gained 4 Pole positions, 4 wins, 5 additional podiums, set a new Anglesey course record, finished 2nd in the Championship, and only lost by falling from a 20 second lead. If someone had offered me that at the beginning of the year I probably would have taken it…. I am sure plenty of people reading this would love similar success. So, life is good, and I finished Racing rather than accumulating points (as an Awesome friend pointed out, Ron could stand for Race Or Nothing). I came racing to prove I was quick, I am happy that I proved that point.

Brief season summary:

Brands Hatch 12th March
The Bad: Getting stuck behind Jimbo with a detached exhaust for 2 laps, then not realising that when Hugh came past he was not unlapping himself, but was actually beating me!!
The Good: Some good racing with Kev/Jimbo and the realisation that even at a track I am not so quick around, I can still win…. and I can win when it is dry (my 2 Championship wins in my first season were at a very wet Cadwell Park). Also the reminder that DD is a friendly place, with Kev P helping me fix my clutch after it failed in the first race.
The Results: Qualified: 1st. Race 2nd and 1st. Leaving Brands with a Joint lead in the Championship.

Mallory Park 16th April
The Bad: Having my Big ends fail in qualifying and having to sit out both races.
The Good: another reminder of the friendly DD paddock when Kev E offered to lend ma a class B bike to pick up some points.
The Results: Qualified 2nd, Race: DNS. Still managing (with dropped rounds) to leave Mallory with a joint championship lead.

Anglesey Coastal 28th May
The Bad: Breaking a finger in a Motorcross accident 2 weeks before the race. Also, handing Phil a healthy lead in the championship by falling from a comfortable 2nd place trying to take the win from Phil.
The Good: Almost everything. Another pole, a 1st, and a new course record taken from the not too slow Sam West.
The Results: Qualified 1st, Race: 1st and DNF. Left 20 points in arrears of Phil in the Championship.

Snetterton 300 18th/19th July
The Bad: Getting stuck in a tussle with Alan and Kev who had much quicker bikes in a straight line. I managed to get ahead of both of them by the final lap, only to have Kev outdrag me up the hill to the chequered flag.
The Good: Battling with the leading Class A bikes on the restart to Race 1 in torrential conditions, and regaining the Championship lead. Also getting away with a Jump start in the second race when it was Red-flagged for another restart.
The Results: Qualified: 5th. Race: 1st and 4th. Switched my position with Phil having a bad weekend, leaving with a small championship lead (2 rounds dropped).

Pembrey 16th/17th July
The Bad: Being taken out by another bike on the Friday practice day, flipping the bike at 110mph, breaking another finger, needing stitches in my elbow, and wrecking the bike, my leathers, boots, and confidence.
The Good: Well, the bike was fixable and I could just about move. My leathers were patched up with gaffer tape, and I at least got out on track to salvage some championship points.
The Results: Qualified: 4th. Race: 3rd and 8th, leaving pembrey 3 points off the lead (behind Hugh and Neal, who I knew would be very hard to catch).

Cadwell Park 20th/21st August
The Bad: Finishing the final race of the weekend sat in the middle of the track, having used the championship leader as a ramp after he high-sided in front of me whilst in 2nd place.
The Good: Fortunately the bike and I survived, and the last race was not going to count towards the championship. Also back up to pace after the Pembrey disaster, being within half a second of the lap record.
The Results: Qualified: 2nd. Race: 2nd and 5th, leaving Cadwell with a 1 point lead in the Championship.

Castle Combe 3rd September
The Bad: Only finishing second in the first race (I had led until the last lap, and not realising it was the last lap, I was waiting until the next lap to re-pass!! … rookie error!)
The Good: Pole position, a win, and lapping 2 seconds a lap faster than everyone else in the second race. Oh, and some prize money and trophy presentation from Carl Fogarty.
The Results: Qualified: 1st. Race: 2nd and 1st, leaving Castle Combe with a 19 point lead in the Championship

Oulton Park 17th September
The Bad: Losing the Championship by falling from a 20 second lead, when I only had to finish the race.
The Good: Being on the pace at a new track to me, 5 seconds/lap quicker than everyone in the wet second race (I know I fell, but I fell having fun and make no apologies for that). Also, qualifying on the front row, with only 1 Class A bike quicker than me (but he is Awesome!). Seeing Paul Kennedy and Jules riding so well (Wet and dry), and Jules getting a closely fought 2nd place.
The Results: Qualified 1st. Race: 2nd and DNF. Finishing 2nd overall in the Championship.
Old 31-Oct-2011, 14:26
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 1098R Bayliss Rep

Mood: Find people who share your values, and you'll conquer the world together.
Excelent summary Ron,

Last edited by Bionicle : 31-Oct-2011 at 16:00.
Old 31-Oct-2011, 14:53
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

BTW, no offence to anyone not directly mentioned (Bradders and Mr Jenkins spring to mind). My little essay was long enough despite trying to limit myself, and I could easily have written 4 times as much. I decided to keep it to those that I was worried about pre-season. I have no doubt that the two of you could easily win Class B next year if you decided to.... but the two poncey Marketing men could give you a run for your money if they put their minds to it
Old 31-Oct-2011, 20:46
DSC Club Member
Mille

an excellent and honest resume of a fantastic season,for you,the protagonists and the club in general,in fact i cant think of anyone on the grid that has let himself down and not improved in one way or another,but i meant what i said ,it was an honour to be able to get to the front and watch you guys go for it,you cant explain it unless you were there!,well done ron and phil and on and on !,now back to my grammer lessons.
ps did you know the people in afghanistan dont watch the flintstones but the people in abu dabi do .,
Old 02-Nov-2011, 18:21
Mille

Thanks for the mention and the kind words Ron. You did a great job this season and it is cruel twist that it was the racer in you that let you down in the end! Thanks especially to you (and many others) for the advice throughout the season and for help keeping my bike going after I threw it down the road so many times.

I am over the moon that I set a lap record (all be it by 10000th of a second or whatever it was), got some fastest laps and some silverware. However, it wasnt without issue, recent checkup found I cracked my collar bone at some point and it has healed badly and now has a dodgy bone growth, I managed a compression fracture to a finger tip at Oulton and my back is a bit dodgy. Long story short.... next season I need a take a page from Alan's book and try to master the smooth effortless riding!

It would probably be the sensible move for me to stay on in Class B another season as this seems to be the usual format but seeing everyone I was closely racing with this year (with the exception of Dave J and a few others) are in moving on to Class A, well you left me with no choice!! However at present I have both my old bike and a road 620ss so who knows....
Old 03-Nov-2011, 09:17
Mille
Bikes: 916SPS and DD #21

Mood: Optimistic
Aww thanks for the kind words Ron and Hugh, they're much appreciated

Ron you're right my mindset was to Ride as quickly, smoothly and safely as I could and 'have fun'. As I said many times 'kinda like a trackday with mates that you're trying to beat' but as long as I was enjoying it and felt I'd given it a good shot, that was all that mattered.
If at the end I was in the top 3 or mid pack didn't matter (too much) Lol. I was happy with my overall performance and ironically without the 'drop 2' rule would have finished 3rd overall, just 1 point ahead of Kev but hey...

You guys Ron and Hugh particularly, always had a racer mindset and winning was almost all that mattered (sometimes to your detriment), as at Oulton and Anglesey but I guess that's how you get to win championships. Being fast, smooth and consistent (never out of the top 5) with no crashes is just too steady eddie to to be a champ .
Well done to EVERYONE it was fun and will I miss it next year??? Nah starting at 59 and racing to just over 60yrs old is enough and I shall look forward to watching some races next year for a change
Old 03-Nov-2011, 21:11
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionicle
Excelent summary Ron,

Ditto
An enjoyable read

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 04-Nov-2011, 10:33
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
Well done mate, I'm glad your not too upset about it all, there's no harder place than 2nd, first of the loosers! ha ha!

matt