Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.
View Poll Results: Where do you sleep on a race weekend
Tent 6 24.00%
Van 16 64.00%
B&B 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-Jan-2012, 09:28
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconmaker72
If you want to avoid the emissions charge why not get a trailer big enough to sleep in an drag it round with your car?

Damn you! I have enough options running through my head without you adding another!?

Have looked at T4/T5 vans but they seem quite expensive? I can get a newer Sprinter in most cases which give much more room for internal kitting out.

Maybe a Voyager or similar would work? No low emissions charge as it's a car, and insurance might also be cheaper than a van as I have never owned a van before (not sure if no claims carries over from a car?). Back to autotrader... I spend more time on that site than with my missus!!!
Old 08-Jan-2012, 12:55
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

I can add another option..... http://www.moto-trek.co.uk/trailers/cyclone-100/
Old 08-Jan-2012, 16:55
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconmaker72

If you want to avoid the emissions charge why not get a trailer big enough to sleep in an drag it round with your car?

That's what I did last year and will this year too. Although I intend to add some insulation and darken the roof a little for comfort.
Old 09-Jan-2012, 00:42
DSC Club Member
500SD
Bikes: Badger DD A #50, Multistrada 1200s, Aprilia Tuono 1100rr

Mood: More chilled than a polar bear's d**k
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevvvooo
Maybe a Voyager or similar would work? No low emissions charge as it's a car, and insurance might also be cheaper than a van as I have never owned a van before (not sure if no claims carries over from a car?).

I went from car to van and yes it did carry over.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog.
Scott #50
Old 09-Jan-2012, 08:59
Mille

I did B&B and hire van last year for a couple of reasons. First I sleep like crap, a good nights sleep for me is 4-5 hours, so figure would get lot less in a tent and be a liability on race day (well more of one!!).
Second is that as far as my business is concerned I coincidentally had business meetings at the same place and time as each race meeting so the hotels were kindly set as an expense along with the transport by way of a zipvan.
Lastly, I didn't have room for a trailer and can't get another residents permit for a van, so thought hire van would be best.

BUT by mid way through the year after a number of breakdowns with the vans I wished I had just bought one. FAR less hassle and the years hire would almost buy one. Also staying in a B&B is a little unsocial and you miss some of the banter!

Last edited by Simps : 09-Jan-2012 at 15:42.
Old 09-Jan-2012, 13:08
Mille
Bikes: DD class B, Street Triple, Tiger 1050

1st race for me will be Snetterton, £62.50 for 3 nights in Travel Logde or a Tent? I'll miss out on some of the banter to get a decent nights kip thankyou!
Old 26-Jan-2012, 18:31
Mille
Bikes: Super Twin 800; DD B; S2R 1000

Mood: DD class B
genny

Looking at various options, including doing some basic insulation in the van, came to the conclusion that roof insulation, foldable bed plank and electric blanket should assure a reasonably comfortable night in paddock.
The problem now is power source and the only viable option is to get a generator.

Looking at the market, for example at http://www.justgenerators.co.uk/page...i-hy2000Si.htm
for a quiet petrol generator you need to cough ~ 4-500

For those who have it, what do you use or suggest?

Thanx

A
Old 26-Jan-2012, 19:03
500SD
Bikes: Class A 620ssie #71 - 853 R/RS Dry - 748sp Wet

Mood: Green with envy
I use a van which is ply lined and and floor carpeted. Chilly nights are abated with the use of a good quality blow up double matress, a couple of sleeping bags and a duvet. All the sleeping gear lives ablove the driving compartment. I do use a genny to warm the van up a bit prior to kip time. An oil filled 1kw radiator combined with a 1kw blower heater does a grand job. Once and snuggled up, theres no need to run the genny and pee others off.

Another alternative (and one i have done in the past) is to use a caravan. Cut a door shaped hole in the back, trim the edges and put locks on inside. Use the cut out section to make a door, trimmed again to fit in the hole. Sealing gap with window trim type stuff or duct tape! Bolt type locks great and with use of padlock they are secure.

I mounted ties down points in sound areas of the caravan. The bike was parked on paddock stands in centre over axle on paddock stands. It was stable and added only a small % to the weight of the van. Great for the weekend and the awning acts as a store /paddock workshop/party space. if I had the space on the drive I would do it again. As it is my car is not suitable for towing (yes, it does have the power) and a van, car and caravan will not all fit on drive.

Last edited by Cranker V2 : 26-Jan-2012 at 19:15.
Old 26-Jan-2012, 19:13
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: 848 Evo ‘Pikes Peak’, 748S, 200 Single

I used a ply lined van with a fold down bed fitted.

It also had power fitted so I could hook up at circuits (where available) or plug into my generator.

It even had a microwave!!

Coincidentally, it is now for sale.

Should anyone be looking...
Old 28-Jan-2012, 08:53
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
Motor home

I've tried sleeping in a tent, then thought that the van would be better, then went back to the tent, then bought a caravan then bought a motorhome.

if you can't justify the cost of a caravan or motorhome or a properly converted race van, I'd go for the tent.

I've stayed in a travel inn a few times but I don't like leaving everything and everyone and then I've been late back in the morning as well. I sleep better in a tent.

Matt