Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 22-Aug-2011, 14:05
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Bradwell Park

I haven’t done any reports for a while, but after this weekend I felt I had too! So tried to keep it short…

Having only decided Thursday I would risk doing it post back injections, and try and ignore the pain, I set off Friday. Went a little like this….

5 ½ hour journey with no stops to Cadwell
Tent up and ready to go, bed broken and crisps and jammie dodgers for dinner with Craig & Manda supplying a beer and coffees to keep me going
Woken to sunshine, entered, scrut’d, signed on and raring to go
Practice – feeling good and laptimer showing a 51 already – my aim for the weekend was 52 so already pleased
Rear tyre changed (courtesy of Tom Roberts, my new tyre sponsor ) and out for qualifying – 1’50.04 yeehar POLE
R1: Good start, about 8 th into first corner, held off a few challenges, got past a few and think I led at the end of lap one, managed to bring it home in first
R2: Start much like the first, took 2 laps to get in front (I thin, maybe 3) then settled in and got a little lead…ran out of steam and led after 10 laps and was 4th by the 11th! Crashed trying top get back my lack of speed on the straight (maybe an oil cooler is needed) when front brake seized on at the end of park and took me down – ouch!
Feeling pretty peeved off and ready to go home, spirits lifted by those who came to check I was ok, although bit upset some others didn’t, then Ghost dragged me for a pint and lifted my mood
Woke up Sun, fairly sore but not too bad, ready tp go again!
Fixed bike, start same as before couple of laps to get a lead then held off til it was stopped – another first!

I couldn’t have dreamed of winning this year. My aspirations were simple; top 10 (or 50% of grid), top 5 was the moon target and beat all last years laptimes…oh and take £50 off Craig and Phil and win the Hants kitty

So, pole, fastest lap of the weekend and 2 big trophies…plus a reminder of the spirit that resides even with those who would benefit from you not getting back out there. I could nearly say I owned Cadwell Park

Had a few scares, got some big lumps and bumps, got a rollicking from Dementor as well as the missus! But very humbling knowing I have way over-achieved what I thought I could do this year or ever, and that others are genuinely happy for me to do it.

Massive well done to Dave J –awesome ride all weekend, and Paul Pullen as he too took loads off his times from last year

Hopefully see most of you at Doom – title run-in looking very interesting!!
Old 22-Aug-2011, 14:29
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

I thought I was about to correct you about the fastest lap. I thought mine from the first race was the fastest, but didn't realise quite how fast your qualifying time was. We rarely ever have the qualifying time as the fastest of the weekend! I hate to think how fast you could go round there if you had Kev P's speed on the straights!
Old 22-Aug-2011, 14:38
MotoGP God

thx, I found the limits of the chassis a few times in the corners expecially bottom of the mountain! But if you dont push, you dont know where to stop

and considering going back to twin disc....
Old 22-Aug-2011, 15:06
500SD

Glad you are ok. Watched the first race and was surprised to see you leading by quite a fair margin. Had to leave after the forst race so missed all the incidents.

Two more Pots, you are going to have to get a bigger cabinet. From the sidelines Dave J looked to be very swift and Paul P did well to hang on the back of a not so slow class A.

Mark.
Old 22-Aug-2011, 20:06
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolley
I hate to think how fast you could go round there if you had Kev P's speed on the straights!

Agreed! Well you certainly looked hungry enough! Start of race 1 up in first left im behind you and Ron. Ron is just ahead, tips it in but you're now up on his inside, and I couldn't help crack a smile in my visor as you threw an elbow to keep him off you. Yep I saw that one Then up the straight into the right and again Ron tips in but your on his inside and Ron is nearly off grass tracking, he hits the brakes and I nearly ram him! Must admit I am growing fond of your unique style.

Sorry about the off and the hole (ouch) but I am sure you must feel a great deal better leaving the weekend with two 1st and a fastest lap!

Top result! With your consistent form i only have one question: Are you doing A or B next year? Just wondering which to dodge to give me a better chance!

Last edited by Simps : 22-Aug-2011 at 20:15.
Old 22-Aug-2011, 20:18
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955SP
Agreed! Well you certainly looked hungry enough! Start of race 1 up in first left im behind you and Ron. Ron is just ahead, tips it in but you're now up on his inside, and I couldn't help crack a smile in my visor as you threw an elbow to keep him off you. Yep I saw that one Then up the straight into the right and again Ron tips in but your on his inside and Ron is nearly off grass tracking, he hits the brakes and I nearly ram him! Must admit I am growing fond of your unique style.

Sorry about the off and the hole (ouch) but I am sure you must feel a great deal better leaving the weekend with two 1st and a fastest lap!

Top result! With your consistent form i only have one question: Are you doing A or B next year? Just wondering which to dodge to give me a better chance!

Send him to class A, or supersport 600 and mix it with those.
Old 22-Aug-2011, 21:26
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 1098R Bayliss Rep

Mood: Find people who share your values, and you'll conquer the world together.
Cant think of anyone more deserving than you to take two wins this weekend Paul, your spirit to get the bike sorted and back on the grid with a shagged rear was and then to take your second first of the weekend was fantastic.

I just need to get infront of a few of these slower class A bikes off the line so i can hopefully be mixing it with the front class B runners.

Looking forward to the next two meetings with the points as close as they are now for the championship should see some good racing from my position bringing up the rear
Old 23-Aug-2011, 00:54
MotoGP God

cheers guys - I think

not sure my style is unique; I have learned most of it from watching Senna over the years and mixing it with Scott and Mike mid pack last year. If there's a gap, and I don't run into anyone, I just enter the gap I can understand the point on cutting back in front at a hairpin, but never think I do any unsafe (more than any other) passes

Talking of next year, anyone thinking of moving up? I'd be interested if the likes of ghost, neils, ron, senna did...or I'll just get mine proper sorted and stay B next year, seems great plan to me
Old 23-Aug-2011, 00:58
MotoGP God

oh and don't please start sticking me down for the championship, this year or next, cant believe I have won 4 this year (or 3 for those less gracious ) and sure its all a fluke

I personally shall keep doing what I'm doing; staying within my limits (mostly) and enjoying that racing feeling
Old 23-Aug-2011, 10:15
MotoGP God

Oh yeah. Forgot but I got pulled again for a dyon; 47hp and 40 torq tops, which was down on pete coppers who's was on before me by a bit, so some scope yet...15% more power to bfind for a start!!