Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 23-Aug-2011, 23:47
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: 848 Evo ‘Pikes Peak’, 748S, 200 Single

Thanks and Apologies

My only previous visit to Cadwell was last year after a motorbike accident left me with a broken shoulder. Then to top that my bike, that I had lent to a friend, managed to eject him and try its best to destroy itself at the gooseneck!

I arrived Thursday evening at about 9.30, unloaded my van and went to bed. Can't beat a nice early evening before a days testing on a new track.

Friday morning and it turns out that my late entry sent to new era with £99 for the test day, hasn't reached Hottrax and they are fully booked! No testing for me.

So the first thanks go to Alan (Sorted #21) for giving me his afternoon on track so I could learn left from right.

Free practice seemed to go ok. I got the impression from talking to people that my pace would probably get me in the top 5 or 6 so with a bit of effort could bring a trophy.

Qualifying however was the first sign that things weren't going smoothly. After 5 laps of traffic, I managed to find my first clear lap and felt it was going well until the exit of Barn when there was a familiar loss of power as my fuel pump decided to retire! (I thought losing a fuel pump at snetterton was a one off)

Second thanks go to Ron (Jolley #2) for letting me borrow his spare fuel pump.

After a 4th and a 5th in the first 2 races, Sunday was not looking like it was going to offer much improvement. After sorting out my excessively stiff throttle with the aid of some WD-40 ( thanks to the preparedness of Hugh #4) I set off to line up on the 5th row resigned to another 5th place.

A couple of laps in however I found myself looking at the back of the leading pack just ahead of me on the track. (not always a pretty sight!) Only another couple of laps in, and I had joined the back of them in 5th place having watched Bradders ride through the group and off into the sunset! I sat there for a lap or so and found myself overtaking Phil (Ghost #61) and Ron (Jolley #2) and now sitting in 3rd behind Kev Palmer (Senna#3).

Things were starting to look up... or so I thought!

As I exited the gooseneck, on what became the last lap of the race... I found myself halfway past Kev on the inside, just about as far as you can get without being seen! I SHOULD have braked a bit harder and let him turn across in front of me none the wiser, but unfortunately the Motogp wannabe in me decided to let off the brake and pass him. Now it appeared at this point to have worked, because I turned in neatly ahead of Kev albeit on a wide exiting line. The problem came when I applied my newly lubricated and free turning throttle and put all of my 47bhp through the edge of my tire. Those who were following / trying to avoid me will probably tell it better, but I'm pretty sure my bike was about as sideways as they go. I can only guess that I must have let off the throttle at this point because the next thing I know I was flying, and was pretty sure it was going to hurt!

So the first apology must go to Kev Palmer (Senna #3) for putting my bike sideways in front of him and giving him nowhere to go but over it. I hope you weren't hurt at all, and I hope I didn't do too much damage to your beautifully prepared bike.

Second apology then goes to Ron (Jolley #2) for almost the same reason, but it wasn't my bike that caused him to crash, but running over my ribcage! Glad to hear that I didn't damage your new alloy tank.

So that was pretty much the end of my weekend. Except of course for the visit to the medical centre, trip in an ambulance, and 5 hours in casualty to be told I had a broken collar bone, and a broken foot!

So the third and greatest thanks have to go to Dean (#14), Jason and Lara for loading my van, waiting in Grimsby hospital for 3 hours and then driving me home! Without them I would probably still be trying to thumb a lift back to Cadwell to get my van!!

I guess i owe an apology to everyone on the grid who wanted to do all 10 laps and not my shortened race distance... Sorry!
Old 24-Aug-2011, 00:44
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Nice appology Neal, liked the reference to a motoGP Wannabe
good to see you can at least type
Hope you make a speedy recovery,

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 24-Aug-2011, 06:26
Big Twin

The true grit Northerner award is now yours. See if you had a fat bike like mine this sort of thing wouldn't happen

GWS oh goatie one.
Old 24-Aug-2011, 06:38
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
I had a grandstand view Neil. You were 90 deg to the track. I just missed your spinning bike as it came across the circuit. Get well soon mate and nice riding from your grid position.
Old 24-Aug-2011, 06:54
Mille
Bikes: Super Twin 800; DD B; S2R 1000

Mood: DD class B
GWS Neil. I cannot avoid to remember few weeks ago at Castle you or Ron commenting that is almost impossible to highside a 583
Old 24-Aug-2011, 07:08
500SD

Ouch, guess Cadwell is not going to be your favourate track.

GWS
Mark
Old 24-Aug-2011, 07:46
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 1098R Bayliss Rep

Mood: Find people who share your values, and you'll conquer the world together.
I came round mansfield to a flurry of red flags and marshals running all over the shop and what seemed to be a train wreck on the track just before the hairpin, i always hate to see a bike down but to see three always fills me dread. caught a glimps of Senna (Kev) on his feet so knew at least one of you was OK and standing, so i was glad to hear that Ron was also on his feet when i stopped back on the grid and later to hear you had only sufferd a broken ankle and collar bone was also a relief.

Hope you heal fast m8 and we see you back on the grid.

Paul
Old 24-Aug-2011, 10:57
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

No hard feelings from me mate, as you already know. It wasn't a malicious or dangerous move. You were already past, and Kev and I were cracking on with it.... unfortunately just a little too close to you when you came unstuck. I was actually making a run on Kev through Mansfield to outbrake him into the chicane, keen to follow you on the chase to Bradders.... so I was gaining on Kev, when, as Phil said, you went completelty 90 degrees to the direction of travel, with your left foot already visible over Kevs head... the perfect roadblock! Kev had nowhere to go, and once there were 4 obstacles sliding down in front of me, I had even less options but to try to slow as much as possible. I thought a gap was opening, but just at the last minute you came tumbling under my front wheel (I didn't aim for you, honest!). I actually felt pretty sick as I hit you square in the ribs, so was quite relieved when I saw you make your way up the grass bank under your own steam. Funny how we haven't actually raced eachother head-to-head in 2 years of racing, and the weekend we do I end up running you over.

I have to second the big thanks to Hugh for finding where they had taken you (even though at first they were convinced you hadn't even been in the Med Centre!), and also to Dean, his missus, and his mate who helped load your kit and get you home.

You are the current Championship leader, and there is little doubt in my mind you would have taken the Class B Championship this year. I will do my best to win it for you!

By the way, you can keep the pump.... I noticed it was thrown from the bike in the off, so is probably past its best

Oh... and the Marshalls were commenting on the impressively thick Black line you left on the track!!
Old 24-Aug-2011, 13:20
500SD

Mood: ready to race
No hard feelings here either neil was a perficly good and safe move buy you bikes are repairible so dont worry yourself m8 thats racing its tough at the sharp end lol hope you mend soon and hope to see you hobbling around the paddock soon sorry about ya foot i guess it must have been me i tried to miss your bike wich was spinning around there seemed to be a gap between your bike and you so i tried to aim for it i dident have time to brake but suddenly your bike seemed to grip and move were i was going and i hit it sending it flying the opposite way to you and i flew over the top of my bike landing on my front think my front wheel caught your foot oops sorry .i must appologize for shouting thanks for that neil at you it was all in the heat of the moment you probly dont remember you were in so much pain .like i said no bad feelings gws m8

ps i blame ron hes leeding the championship he should be banned
Old 24-Aug-2011, 16:14
Mille

Really sorry to hear the diagnosis about your foot and your collar bone mate.

After your Motogp reference I think I have to ask whether you are going to be a Colin Edwards and get that collar bone and foot plated and be back on the podium at Castle Combe or are you going to do a Danni Pedrosa and wait out the next few races and come back and win at the start of next year?

I have to admit that this championship has more than its fair share of ups and downs! I cant believe that you and I were joint 1st (after 2 dropped) going into Cadwell Pk and now neither has a chance to win!

I also realised that even though my boots have been on the podium several times this year I even cant win the Novice Championship either (unless I ram the Dentist off the track )

Anyway no matter how down I felt about my weekend I know yours was far worse. Really gutted for you mate GWS!