Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-May-2006, 20:06
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Quote:

if you are over 150lbs you'll need a heavier spring

Last time I was a 150lb I was 14 years old guess I either need a good diet or another spring
Old 23-May-2006, 20:07
Big Twin

Mood: r
jack straw mate, just went on spec. two chaps did it in 5 mins. best ring them first before 300 749s show up though
Old 23-May-2006, 20:12
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Will give them a call first. I'm only 25 mile or so from K-tech so will give them a try when it's stops raining.
Old 23-May-2006, 20:19
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by Carbon749
Will give them a call first. I'm only 25 mile or so from K-tech so will give them a try when it's stops raining.

A new ohlins spring is about £70, K tech do their own version, its just as good i think. its only 4 bolts to drop the shock out once its jacked up. they'll set the tie rod at the same time, they have setup data for most bikes, its always worth taking tie rod apart and coppa slipping the threads on the adjustors, the ball joint near the end of the tie rod with a ring going round is left hand thread, this usually goes at the bottom near the swingarm.
Old 23-May-2006, 20:37
Big Twin

Mood: r
i found i didnt need any new parts, just set up correctly.
Old 24-May-2006, 06:27
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by couchcommando
I was happy with my 999 till I rode my TLR race bike.
The 999 now seems impossible to turn, so to remedy this I've raised the rear 25mm.

What set-up are you running ?
There was a pretty good set up printed in MCN a while ago.I'll see if I can dig it out.
When I had the 999bip,I found the rear shock was damn near perfect for me as std.I just added some ride height.After some experimenting,I settled for 2.5 turns of the ride height adjuster.
The front end had some preload taken out,...I have it written down somewhere,will look for it later.
Old 24-May-2006, 07:59
Mille

Mood: I started life with nothing and still have most of it left
I have the Section 8 settings but only in print. If you need these give me a U2U with your fax number
G
Old 24-May-2006, 09:52
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Couple of points, there are numerous rockers available across the ducati range, let alone stuff used for race.

There are also different stroke length rear shocks, even between a bp and mono.

The 749r rocker and tie rod was fitted as it is indeed the better track focussed set up, because of tougher homologation rules.
If you look in the ducati catalogue, this is now also sold as an upgrade kit, including the shorter stroke shock!

rather than talking about tie rod lengths, we should concentrate on using the datum tool, that is the only real way of making a comparison between bikes.

Incidentally every time we adjust a chain, blow a tyre up it has the potential to alter the ride height.............best get checking!
Old 24-May-2006, 09:53
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
I'm running standard setup on my '04 749S but I've dropped the forks one ring.

Works for me on the road...
Old 24-May-2006, 12:05
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
Couple of points, there are numerous rockers available across the ducati range, let alone stuff used for race.

There are also different stroke length rear shocks, even between a bp and mono.

The 749r rocker and tie rod was fitted as it is indeed the better track focussed set up, because of tougher homologation rules.
If you look in the ducati catalogue, this is now also sold as an upgrade kit, including the shorter stroke shock!

rather than talking about tie rod lengths, we should concentrate on using the datum tool, that is the only real way of making a comparison between bikes.

Incidentally every time we adjust a chain, blow a tyre up it has the potential to alter the ride height.............best get checking!

Rear ride height is usually used to alter head angle so for really accurate settings I'd suggest using a fork angle gauge, we do this for our DH race bikes, means you can allow for any changes in sag, front/rear ride height tyres etc and get an accurate setting with rider on bike although only at standstill. A datum tool isn't that much use , it was needed on the single sided bikes but has little relevance on the 999 where the height doesn't alter by the same amounts when the chain is adjusted, adjusting the chain on a 999 slightly alters the amount of rear wheel travel and the leverage ratio as well . The relationship between tie bar length and actual ride height remains constant (bar the small variation for that) 1 turn equates to 1.5mm and at about 1.8:1 giving or taking the small variations in progression means you'll alter rear ride height by approx 2.7mm for every turn. Accurate enough for me anyway given that wearing different clothes is going to cause 1 or 2mm more or less sag.

I wasn't aware of any different stroke lengths between mono and bip, wonder which models and by how much?? i thought they all ran 71mm stroke shocks (bar 749R) and the spring weight varied??

the 749R also has a completely different pivot point and has sheer bolts to limit wheelbase length it has a 56mm stroke shock, different rocker much higher leverage ratio and is more linear which is why it ran that different linkage and tie ba. most designs aim to keep a lower ratio as it involves more shaft travel for a given bump size which is easier to control , it would be a track thing as you don't get the same variations in road surface or conditions as road.