Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-May-2005, 19:26

Hello - and clutch question

Hello. I bought a 2001 996 bp back in February and I've been lurking on your site for a couple of months now. Y'all seem to have the best info and livliest discussions, so figured I'd sign up. Hope you don't mind another Yank crashing the party. Actually, being from Texas, I'm not likely to claim most of the Yanks either.

My first question - how do you recommend cleaning the clutch plates? I've done a couple of searches and read quite a few threads about the various clutch issues. My clutch is EXTREMELY grabby and produces a pronounced stumble/shudder no matter how careful I am with the clutch lever. I'm concerned that it's more serious than just dust, but I want to start with just giving the insides a good inspection and cleaning. Is it just a matter of opening it all up and blowing out the dust? Or can you go further with somehow actually cleaning the clutch plates? Anything else to do or check while I'm in there? Bike has 7300 miles and seems to have been babied by the one previous owner. Stock clutch cover up till now, but a vented billet one is on the way from Casoli. Doesn't slip in the least, but has serious, almost dangerous, lack of smoothness from a stop. THANKS!
Old 20-May-2005, 19:49
Bevel Head

Sounds a bit like mine was, more like an ON/OFF switch than a clutch sometimes - probably best just getting a new set of plates maybe ? made a huge difference to mine as they were pretty much worn out.

I have noticed Duc clutches dont seem that smooth or progressive compared to cable ones on Jap bikes, so it does take a bit of getting used to.

Worth the effort though, new clutch plates and an uprated slave cylinder and the bike is transformed for town riding.
Old 20-May-2005, 20:11
Big Twin

Hi Nathan and welcome - I'm sure some of the experts will be along soon to give full info on clutch overhauls, but you should also check the clutch basket slots for notches worn by the plates, which will cause grabbing.
Old 20-May-2005, 20:12
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Fed up...
Does it squeal as well? You could check the wear on the plates and give them a rub down with emory paper.
Old 20-May-2005, 20:31

There is a slight groan as it engages. Not a high pitched squeal, but rather a low pitched moan as the bike shudders into motion.

I had the clutch slave cylinder replaced with a new Ducati piece during the 6000 mile service. I know the shop owner and he said that mine had never been replaced and since there was a service bulletin on that part, he could replace it for no charge even though mine didn't specifically show signs of leaking. Don't know if the new clutch slave unit is re-designed/better than the old one, or simply a new one, but my bike had the problem to some extent both before and after that trip to the shop.
Old 20-May-2005, 22:11
Big Twin

Round about that time Ducati changed the slave cylinder to the larger "cotton bobbin" shape. The first of the new shape were subject to a recall to drill a release hole, otherwise if the seal failed, they could "hydraulic lock". I expect this is what your dealer is talking about.

Desn't sound like that's your problem, though. Like Brent says, I'd take the plates out and examine the outer drum for notching. If it's not too bad you can squeeze a bit more life out of it by carefully dressing the notches smooth with a file. Don't go mad, though.
And removing built-up dust in the clutch doesn't hurt, either.
Old 20-May-2005, 22:59
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
Clean out the dust and give the metal plates a good seeing to with wet and dry and chances are you'll be good to go.

Darren
Old 20-May-2005, 23:59
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
only other thing it could be is the outer basket which may have ridges in it.
sounds like it needs a strip down, good clean and maybe take some pics for us to further examine
Old 21-May-2005, 00:13
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Nathan, you're describing the same symptoms I had last summer... very grabby on the take-off but no sign of slipping once engaged, and a deep 'groan' type noise when engaging.

Turned out that both the plate tangs and the outer basket were grooved to buggery. Material on the plates still had plenty of life, and there was no issue with dust build-up cos I've got a very vented cover. New plates and outer basket (48t STM) and all is fine and dandy again.

Wip the cover off and have a nose down the contact points of plates/basket and you should see if it's notching, but the heaviest wear was on the bottom of the stack so the true extent couldn't be seen without taking the plates out.

n
Old 20-Jun-2005, 18:00

FOLLOWUP

So, I took the clutch apart this weekend. Many thanks to my friend Uwe for welding up the hub holding tool and giving a hand. Definitely need new plates. The tangs are pretty banged up and the friction material is almost gone on some plates. I would think a new basket is in order as well. But, you guys have seen a lot more of these than I have. So, take a look at the pics and tell me what you think. New basket?

I mentioned the possibility of going to an ST4S clutch (as I have read about here) to a friend with an ST4. He thought that was funny as all the ST4S guys he knows have gone to aftermarket. He said one of the most highly rated ones on the ST board is by Pro Cutting, or is often called "Charlie's Clutch".

Info here: http://sky.prohosting.com/ssnyder/product4.htm

I couldn't care less about quiet, but I would like long lasting and the less it's rattling around in there, the less damage it's doing. So, anyone familiar with this option?