Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Jan-2005, 14:04
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

Paul,
That is what I thought the problem was originally until I looked in the hole and saw the miserable condition of the threads.

Know anything about the mirrors perchance??
Old 01-Jan-2005, 15:38
Ducati Corse

No i'm afraid i dont know about the mirrors. All four mirrors on both of my ST's have had cracks on the undderside of the stalk bit but they never actually fell off.

Re the exhausts, maybe someone has tried to get the bolt in but not managed it and ended up butchering he thread. As a last resort a nut and longer bolt would do the trick.
Old 02-Jan-2005, 06:46
500SD

take it to the dealer tomorrow. They must have put on the pannier and botched it. Probably a misalignment and they just forced it. Will see what they say. Took it out today after the roads became ice free. Pannier on one side, pipe up on the other side, one mirror. Got some strange looks! Good fun though.
Old 02-Jan-2005, 12:08
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Mirrors..... mine is an '01 and only has one spring in each.
Silencers/pipes.....the silencer brackets should have slotted holes where the bracket joins the cans. Try loosening the two mounting bolts off a bit to allow some fore & aft movement then offering your pipe up to the higher mount position - you may find it fits.
I have also known the pipes not to line up properly if the cruciform pipe where the headers join is not aligned correctly.
Cheers
Andy

[Edited on 2-1-2005 by Rushjob]
Old 02-Jan-2005, 18:04
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
The 'spitting back' thing is due probably to the throttle position sensor not being correctly set-they should sort it out on the first service. Heavy clutch-'they're all like that sir'.
Exhaust misalinement-as Andy says slacken off the bolt holding the bracket onto the can and you will find they line up no problem.

John
Old 03-Jan-2005, 00:34
500SD

Thnks for the info. Dealer will take care of spitting problem at 1000km check (not too far away, even with snow on the ground) and I will look at the bracket today after things warm up a bit. Still need to get the mirror taken care of. Wonder how the thing fits together if there is only one spring??
Old 03-Jan-2005, 08:42
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog Bianchi
Still need to get the mirror taken care of. Wonder how the thing fits together if there is only one spring??

It just so happens that I have my right hand mirror on my desk in front of me while I wait for it's fresh paint to harden.

There is only one spring. If the mirror popped off it's spring while it was still on the bike, you'll most likely still have the mirror mount bolted onto the bike. You'll need to take bits of the inner fairing off to get to the bolts, undo them and take it off.

You should now be holding a small casting that fits inside the plastic mirror stalk, it has a square hole with a bar going across it. The spring runs down the inside of the forward facing 'leg' of the mirror stalk, so basically you need to push the casting back into the mirror stalk and persuade the end of the spring back over that bar. If you double a piece of string or a thin bit of wire through the spring hook then through the hole in the casting before you fit the casting back into the mirror, you should just be able to pull the string and pop the spring back into place. Since you won't need to tie the string through the spring hook, just letting go of one end of it should let you pull the string out leaving you with a mirror that's all ready to bolt back on the bike.
Old 04-Jan-2005, 02:48
500SD

Excellent Jools,

I will get on it right away. A very detailed description....very kind of you Sir!
Old 04-Jan-2005, 05:06
500SD

Well,
That was sweet. A lot of hassle to get to the mirror bracket, but pretty straightforward. The spring went in easily and I did the whole job in less than an hour. Thankfully, no fairing alignment problems.
THanks again Jools!