Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Jul-2005, 15:39
Mille
Bikes: 998Bip

Mood: Carbonara
Twins Track Comparison

Hello Peeps,

I've just got back from 2 days on track at Val de Vienne/La Vigeant, which was the first opportunity to try the 998 out after the various mods/additions, at a track I am familiar with.

The bits and bobs done include:

R cams
996R ecu (with 3/4 system)
4 pad calipers
3/5 spoke magnesium Dymags
SCI/2 SuperCorsa with 180 rear (down from 190)
247mm rear ride height (thanks Harvey!)

The bike steers well and very quickly, and is super accurate.

But what was interesting was the speed relative to other twins on the 2 proper straights at Val.

All models of Aprillia Mille were easy to catch in a straight line and pass. This is most satisfying.

There were 2 Honda SP2s there, both with full Akro systems, Power Commanders and airbox mods. One of these was dynoed at 131 rwbhp. The 998 was able to reel these in on the longer of the 2 straights, without the need for manic braking at the end.

Now I haven't had mine dynoed or properly set up yet (PC111 USB/dyno planned), but I figure it must be making reasonable power. Only 1 twin came past me in 2 days, 1 of the SP2s when I made a complete horlicks of a very sharp hairpin (several I4s did though, including an infuriating CBR6 - cheers Chris).

Also, there was a new ZX10R there which could leave me on the straights like it had JATO.

And, my mate Rob and his stock '02 R1 could annihilate me any time he chose, but that's more to do with him than his bike.

All good fun - post some pices when they come down.

Spinoli