Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 23-Jul-2011, 12:54
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
aerodynamics - much of an impact?

So what are the thoughts; will having a full fairing, large one like a desmo one I can mostly get behind, give me any mph increase on the likes of park and other straight, particularly uphill?
Old 23-Jul-2011, 19:30
Mille
Bikes: DD 620, 998 Matrix, 500 Pantah, Honda 350 K4, Drixton 500 Honda, Triumph 1050.

Mood: Depends on how many crashes I have!!!!!
Bradders,

This is one that has been talked about alot with classic bikes, not sure on facts and figures, but basically at top speeds for prolonged periods a fairing helps, but without a fiaring there is less weight and therefore the bike picks up quicker out of the corner and so long as the straight isn't massive will not have much of a difference. Some of the old guys used to take the fairings off for short circuits, and put on for long ones and road circuits.
I fell off a few years ago at Snetterton, and had to junk the fairing, but did lap any slower.
Also I find my DD bike with only the nose cone does not get effected by side winds as much as having the full fairing.

Not very technical, but my experiance

Steve
Old 23-Jul-2011, 19:48
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
From what I keep hearing Kev P has one of the faster class B bikes out there and that is only half faired, obviously the ability to tuck in and not leave your arms and legs stuck out in the wind is going to make a difference

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 23-Jul-2011, 21:51
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
From what I keep hearing Kev P has one of the faster class B bikes out there and that is only half faired, obviously the ability to tuck in and not leave your arms and legs stuck out in the wind is going to make a difference

Yep and 56 BHP helps Funny how those Brands dyno results disappeared?

Last edited by dunlop0_1 : 23-Jul-2011 at 21:57.
Old 23-Jul-2011, 23:16
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlop0_1
Yep and 56 BHP helps Funny how those Brands dyno results disappeared?

I'm sure they are about somewhere but Bernie who is a FIM cheif Technical officer wasn't happy with there accuracy and I;m not suprised as I have a Dyno run here from brands for my 583 that shows it giving just over 76lbs/ft of torque

But if we want to discuss legality of bikes

1.6.16 Fuel System

Fuel Injection

The number of injectors must remain as originally fitted to the 620 models, the type of injectors allowed are the 620s original Magneti Marelli IWP043 Brown band Pico injectors or the Magneti Marelli IW031 green injectors as found on the ST2/750SSie/900SSie

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 24-Jul-2011, 06:55
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
I'm sure they are about somewhere but Bernie who is a FIM cheif Technical officer wasn't happy with there accuracy and I;m not suprised as I have a Dyno run here from brands for my 583 that shows it giving just over 76lbs/ft of torque

But if we want to discuss legality of bikes

1.6.16 Fuel System

Fuel Injection

The number of injectors must remain as originally fitted to the 620 models, the type of injectors allowed are the 620s original Magneti Marelli IWP043 Brown band Pico injectors or the Magneti Marelli IW031 green injectors as found on the ST2/750SSie/900SSie

Hey Kev if it makes you happy I'll change them back today. Rules is rules and I don't want you loosing any sleep over it sweetheart.
We can't have anything illegal can we.

Last edited by dunlop0_1 : 24-Jul-2011 at 07:17.
Old 24-Jul-2011, 10:01
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
have a look here...

http://www.tonyfoale.com/Articles/Aerodynamics/AERO.htm

seems that the difference in acceleration can be affected, positively, by better streaming. Also says that with a bike, being so short, a square back end causes less turbulence than a classic slim tail.

There is an article in Bike this month (as said by a poster on Ducatisti) that compares a yamaha for this too and the results are pretty stark, so one to buy later

Anglesey without any fairing made loads of difference as I'd expect, and I know Senna runs a half fairing as does Ghost but they both have large frontal areas rather than my 998 slim front

think I'm taking all this too seriously now...
Old 24-Jul-2011, 18:37
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

If a square back end is so good, why dont all the MotoGP/Moto2 boys have one?

Awesome said his Desmo fairing was a few kph faster than his 996 ones.

I dont think we really go fast enough (120mph+) for it to make a massive amount of difference.
Old 24-Jul-2011, 22:03
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse SE, Evoluzione 2 ....

Mood: Dementor hunted by Foggy :)
I've been saying all week how great it is to be a spectator in the paddock this year, just like the original early days DD, friendly banter, good racing and no bollotics. Sandra and I have been to every round this year and will be going to all the rest, so how about we keep it the same atmosphere for the rest of the season...! Senna is as straight as a die and Sandra and I have been proud to be one of his sponsors.....stick at it Kev, it's your year M8

Hants - Meet Popham Airfield every 2nd Sunday of the Month @ 1pm

Ducati Snells of Alton : >>
848 Corse SE Evoluzione 2 : >>
Dementor Site :>>
Sponsor of DD Riders
Old 24-Jul-2011, 22:04
Big Twin

Kev.
I feel you've misunderstood any comments that I've made.
I've never even considered that anyone in DD has taken things to the extreme of having an illegal advantage over anyone else. Anything I have said is purely meant as banter and light hearted fun.
I do apologise if the comments I've made have upset you in any way and hope that you see this as nothing personel and continue to give your best at Cadwell.

Northern humour and all that.