Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 25-Jul-2011, 23:52
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
In search of Dallas's Missing ponies

Had a quick look at Dallas's bike earlier today, he had taken the plugs out for a compression test and found the front plug was very much of the white insulator variaty, so looks to be running rather week still, dispite being on its 2nd set of injectors and 3rd ECU already this season

Ran the compression check and came out with about 120psi on each cylinder using the tester I bought 30 years ago
I then ran a leak down test on both cylinders and both cylinders were very good, loosing a couple of % at most

Had a look at the cambelts and timing marks, all lined up ok but the front cylinder belt was extra slack going on the allen key method between the roller and the belt I could have easily fitted a 10mm allen key if not a 12mm one, so retensioned the belt for him

Still a lot to do over the next few weeks but hoping to get it up from its 54 ish bhp back nearer to the 64 ish it started the season with, then hopefully he will be able to mix it with Neil, Andy C and Matt
That is Providing its dry and he gets out and does some quallifying so that he doesn't have to start from the back of the grid

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 26-Jul-2011, 07:04
Big Twin

Don't know if it helps Kev but the rear cylinder on mine always seems to run hotter than the front . Thats with either the brown or white injectors (to be honest the white injectors made no difference at all) and a different ECU. The ventilation is I think is as good as the front even more so now without the airbox. Go figure eh.

Speak to Angry about it as well cos at Pembrey he had a temp sensor directly onto the rear cylinder.
Old 26-Jul-2011, 10:40
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
That's why I ran an offset map with a slightly richer mixture to compensate for the rear cylinder being hotter. It's a well-known ducati thang.

Still only made 59bhp though!

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 26-Jul-2011, 13:14
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
I always ran cold air ducts to the rear cylinder.
Old 26-Jul-2011, 17:21
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz
I always ran cold air ducts to the rear cylinder.

Wasn't that to keep the 800 pot cool?

PS For the avoidance of doubt given other recent threads I AM ONLY JOKING. Chaz is a top bloke who put good riders on well put together bikes*, and also provided good food and company through the years. (Are you still coming to Cadwell so I can bring the cheese and wine?)

* PPS they were ok until their new owners kept binning them

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 26-Jul-2011, 18:50
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by paynep
Wasn't that to keep the 800 pot cool? :devil

PS For the avoidance of doubt given other recent threads I AM ONLY JOKING. Chaz is a top bloke who put good riders on well put together bikes*, and also provided good food and company through the years. (Are you still coming to Cadwell so I can bring the cheese and wine?)

* PPS they were ok until their new owners kept binning them

Ha Ha! it was the only DD bike to be proven legal

Yepp should be at cadwell that's the plan anyway.

ps you better bring loads of wine & cheese Lord Rattler will be there:

Last edited by Chaz : 26-Jul-2011 at 21:25.
Old 26-Jul-2011, 22:09
MotoGP God

Thing is guys at the start of the season it had a healthy output in the 64bhp area and then it lost nearly 20% of that and dispite Dallas spending out quite a bit to try and get it sorted its still not back to where it was.

As I said the bike is going through a bit of a re-hash at the moment and one of the things Dallas is hoping to do is to loose the Airbox.
Made a bit easier by Chaz having already repositioned the Battery under the seat.

Old 26-Jul-2011, 22:39
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Thing is guys at the start of the season it had a healthy output in the 64bhp area and then it lost nearly 20% of that and dispite Dallas spending out quite a bit to try and get it sorted its still not back to where it was.

As I said the bike is going through a bit of a re-hash at the moment and one of the things Dallas is hoping to do is to loose the Airbox.
Made a bit easier by Chaz having already repositioned the Battery under the seat.

Just a thought Kev its got adjustable pulleys, yes the marks line up but it doesn't tell you where the cam actually is. So You really need to go thro' that loop either work out at full lift or opening at 1mm lift. But needs veryfying.
He was still .....just faster than me at Pembrey.
Old 26-Jul-2011, 22:49
MotoGP God

Nope Phil, it was all setup at the start of the season by Baines Racing using the non adjustable cam pulleys just as they did with his 2010 engine, went straight from Baines to have the power commander setup and came out of there with 64 and a bit BHP

Old 26-Jul-2011, 23:08
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Nope Phil, it was all setup at the start of the season by Baines Racing using the non adjustable cam pulleys just as they did with his 2010 engine, went straight from Baines to have the power commander setup and came out of there with 64 and a bit BHP

Oh F<>k thats that scenario quashed. The Karl foggy lookaike at Pembrey was saying he had 150 psi on his compression. I thought gosh thats good, a lot better than mine. Then I put my trusty snap on guage on his and it read the same as mine 125psi.

So if comp and valve timing are good, then its fuelling or ecu or ignition advance.

Glad I've only got carbs. Good luck Kev, I know Dallas is p....eed off with his outlay and nothing to show for it.