Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 14-Jan-2006, 18:19
Montjuic

Full bellypan on 748?

I would like to fit a full bellypan to my 748 to give it that full race look and also keep some of the road crud off the pipes and engine underside. I've done a search but most of the posts seem to date to 2003 and wondered if any recommendations had changed. So would I have to get new panels as well in order for it to fit, previous posts seem to suggest this. Is there provision for the sidestand in the fairings or would they have to be modified. Has anyone recently done this and does anyone have any recommendations?
Old 14-Jan-2006, 18:35
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
I think some people have cut there original panels to take a belly pan.
Carl the oxford region organiser for one I believe ? send him a U2U.
otherwise its new side panels and belly pan. then of cores there is the road or race version (for side stand or not)
Old 14-Jan-2006, 19:42
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
or replace the bottom panels with a 1 piece race one. Bit more awkward to get on and off tho.
Old 14-Jan-2006, 19:42
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
oh forgot to say I think Skidlids has one for sale....
Old 15-Jan-2006, 20:23
Montjuic

Thanks Keefer... not sure as I fancy cutting the originals though as my idea is to keep this bike come what may and in years to come would like to be able to have the original ones to hand. Bradders, think that I'd prefer a separate bellypan for ease of draining oil etc or is that being pedantic? Would definitely need provision for a sidestand tho. Any further thoughts on who makes the best?
Old 16-Jan-2006, 14:30
Mille

I fitted an original Duc. perf. M.S. production carbon undertray to my 996S when I bought it. Slightly nerve racking cutting up the brand new panels!
It's easier said than done if you want a decent looking job. The problem area is at the front where you'll need to thin the return on the fairing to clear the belly pan, as the original plastics are thicker than the carbon that it's designed to fit.
Then all you've got to do is make up the brackets - ho hum! I borrowed some original brkts. to copy, but the fit was crap, so I made my own, didn't take too many hours!
If you're interested I've got a new pair of 1 piece fairing sides in white finish g.r.p. that I was planning to use, but I'm now considering carbon instead.
It's definitely worth doing though, looks a treat when it's on the bike, not that too many people will notice. Apart from the dealers doing the servicing, which usually gets favourable comments.
Old 16-Jan-2006, 15:04
Mille
Bikes: 748

Mood: C'est la vie...
Afetr having been unceremoniously dumped on the ground by a myopic car driver, I had a fibreglass 998 style 'race' fairing fitted to my 748 (2 x 1-piece side panels, & full belly pan): No significant modification required (from memory), & your original fairings can be safely kept in the garage. Will smell of fibreglass for the first few outings, but they have lasted 18 months without any problems.

You need to get up close & personal to see that they are not original Ducati fairings...... well worth a look if you are not worried about keeping the 'exact' original appearance.

And, if memory serves, Tony at Two Four Performance (previously Two Four Italia), said that the race fairings were also available in 748 pattern with the full belly pan........

http://www.two-four-italia.co.uk/
Old 20-Jan-2006, 22:11

Got mine off ebay so not sure what make but are the 2 side panels / 1 belly pan combo. I think they look great to be honest, only close inspection shows they're not orig parts. The belly pan is a fiddly bugger to get on and off though. The fasteners aren't as tight as they should be, hence gaffa in this pic...
Old 21-Jan-2006, 09:25
Montjuic

Looks good Pav. Think I'll be giving Vimori a phone call - didn't realise they were based in Halifax! It was the good old Yorkshire sounding name that threw me.