Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Jun-2009, 10:17
Montjuic

Re-packing Exhausts....

Morning Chaps,

Just in the middle of repacking my Carbon Termi's, whilst taking the old packing out I noticed that the packing material had been wrapped in tape. Now, either this tape has been used to keep the matting in place whilst inserting the material into the carbon sleeve, or has been used to provide some sort of heat protection for the carbon.

Does anyone have any ideas? I wouldn't want to rebuild the exhausts only to have the carbon discolour because of inadequate heat protection.....

If the tape is there for heat protection, does anyone know what type of tape it is?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-Jun-2009, 10:27
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
Hi Rapid,

Having looked at many different webforums about can-packing (nned to do it myself soon) I'd be very confident in saying that the tape has been used purely to keep the packing material tightly bound as the sleeves are slipped back on.

The packing is what keeps the heat away from the outer shell of the exhaust (as well as dampening sound levels) so the tape really has the one purpose.

Most people use wire to hold the packing in place so tape to me, is just another option. The fact it hasn't burnt away is more likely to be testament to the packing material's heat dispersion than it being NASA spec fire proof tape .

Guy

www.copeimages.com

WeeJohnyB, Best instructor out there http://www.nolimitstrackdays.com/
Old 15-Jun-2009, 21:49
Big Twin

Mood: Avatar what Avatar
Rapidomoto how did you get on? where did you get the packing from as I need to do my Arrows not had them on since I got done. I want to refit them but need to quieten them down a bit.
Old 15-Jun-2009, 22:19
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Runner
Rapidomoto how did you get on? where did you get the packing from as I need to do my Arrows not had them on since I got done. I want to refit them but need to quieten them down a bit.
I got a big roll of it from Ebay.More than enough for two cans.Cost about £12.Do a search for exhaust packing.
Old 24-Jun-2009, 14:23
Mille

One thing to consider when repacking if you want to quieten them, don't pack them too tight, as that turns the can into a straight through pipe effectivelly.
Old 24-Jun-2009, 19:12
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeefyB
I got a big roll of it from Ebay.More than enough for two cans.Cost about £12.Do a search for exhaust packing.
That sounds like a good price. I think I will be having a quick search
Old 24-Jun-2009, 19:14
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete A
One thing to consider when repacking if you want to quieten them, don't pack them too tight, as that turns the can into a straight through pipe effectivelly.
Definitely, but not too loose either.
For best satisfaction you need it neither loose nor tight

What ?
I'm talking about making sure it sounds right
Old 13-Jul-2009, 17:53
Montjuic

Sorry for the delay in replying Roadrunner.

I bought three rolls of exhaust packing off Ebay from simmiperformance, came to about 20 pounds including P+P. Ended up being just under a roll for each can.

I drilled off the rivets from both ends of the can, careful not to enlarge the hole in the carbon. Pulled off each end and removed the packing. To be honest the packing looked in very good condition but as I had already started!....

I wrapped the wadding around the perforatted tube, just over a layer and a half deep, ontop of which I wrapped one layer of "Rock Wool" (this was obtained from work so couldn't give you a price or availibility!) The Rock Wool is supposed to offer a little more protection from heat to the carbon sleeve.

This was all then taped down with some high temp resistant tape (again acquired from work....!) and inserted back into the can. Ends where then riveted back onto the exhausts using 4.8mm x 13mm Pop Rivets.

Expecting the bike to sound alot quieter I was a little disapointed to find out it sounded the same, the previous packing had been there since I bought the bike which was nine years and 15K miles ago!

I did keep a eye on the cans for the first few rides after just to check there was no harm being done to the carbon...
Old 13-Jul-2009, 23:19
Big Twin

Mood: Avatar what Avatar
Thanks for the info I realy need to quieten my Arrows down before I refit them I am running the standard cans at the moment. I will have a go at repacking them, to don't want another fine. The old bill are a bit hot on loud cans in Surrey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidomoto
Sorry for the delay in replying Roadrunner.

I bought three rolls of exhaust packing off Ebay from simmiperformance, came to about 20 pounds including P+P. Ended up being just under a roll for each can.

I drilled off the rivets from both ends of the can, careful not to enlarge the hole in the carbon. Pulled off each end and removed the packing. To be honest the packing looked in very good condition but as I had already started!....

I wrapped the wadding around the perforatted tube, just over a layer and a half deep, ontop of which I wrapped one layer of "Rock Wool" (this was obtained from work so couldn't give you a price or availibility!) The Rock Wool is supposed to offer a little more protection from heat to the carbon sleeve.

This was all then taped down with some high temp resistant tape (again acquired from work....!) and inserted back into the can. Ends where then riveted back onto the exhausts using 4.8mm x 13mm Pop Rivets.

Expecting the bike to sound alot quieter I was a little disapointed to find out it sounded the same, the previous packing had been there since I bought the bike which was nine years and 15K miles ago!

I did keep a eye on the cans for the first few rides after just to check there was no harm being done to the carbon...
Old 15-Jul-2009, 23:48
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Mood: I like my bike
spoke to moto rapido. They reckoned that any kind of roof insulation would be find. One thing I'm finding is that the rivets I got from them and fleebay have an aluminium pin or at least soft metal and using a stanley pop riveter. Every second rivet the stem gets stuck after having been pulled from the rivet. Anyone else seen this.