Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Jan-2005, 10:59
Mille

Unashamed plug for Go Promotions

I recieved a letter from Gareth and Owen at GO promotions yesterday, they are arranging open pit lane track days at Estoril and the Hungering in april and may. Due to desmo Due comitments I cannot make iether but these guys are the business, plenty of track time. Virtually empty track, good hotels, and the food at lunch at jerez would have shamed a west end restraunt. thier prices are very reasonable, all you need to get is your flights and transfer to the hotel.

The best bit was they will be offering a couple of days at Mugello later this year.

dave

contact number 01342892015
web sit www.gopromotions.co.uk
[Edited on 18-1-2005 by DAVE HARRIS]

[Edited on 19-1-2005 by DAVE HARRIS]
Old 18-Jan-2005, 13:20
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Looked into doing one of their events a while ago as the "open pitlane" is hugely appealing. Sadly, so far, I haven't managed to convince the wife that it would make for a great family holiday. Must try harder.

Mugello...hmmm...biggest temptation yet. Damn!
Old 20-Jan-2005, 14:35
Mille

Mood: Meditating
I am undecided how good open pit lane track days are, they certainly rely heavily upon the riders judgement about being tired and coming in for a rest.

Anyone who rides the track regularly will know a good level of fitness is required, and fatigue sets-in quite rapidly.

The idea of having 20 – 25 minutes on track and then and enforced rest of 1 hour is primarily for safety reasons. Indeed, Motor Sport Vision expressly forbids open pit lanes for motorcycles for these reasons of safety.

Or maybe British circuits are overprotective.
Old 20-Jan-2005, 20:09
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
Open pit lane is fantastic, so much more relaxed, come and go as you please. I agree it needs the rider to realise when they're tired, but most of us know when we've had enough and the thing is, you're not tempted to go out in the 'last session' etc to get you're money's worth. There's no need to stay out until you're too tired, just come in and go back out again, simple. No Limits foreign days are all open pit lane. Mort and I are off to Jerez next week. Last year I went out as the track opens at 10 and did a few laps, again at lunchtime when nobody was out and then before they close at 6, again when it was quiet. Totally relaxed, able to chat and fettle and go for a wander watching others in your shorts & shades and then come back and go out with your mates, no pressure at all, time to build up speed without the clock ticking on your normal 15 minutes on track in normal UK 3 groups. I really love it.

So, my new CBR600RR is being loaded up into the truck on Friday night with my spares, tools, tyres and kit for the trip to the sun....I'll see it and a load of other bikes on Wednesday as I help to unload them all and put them in the gargares reading for the punters arriving on Thursday. Excited, me???

WeeJohnyB
Old 20-Jan-2005, 20:16
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Yup, that's the way I feel as well, WJB. In addition, you have plenty of time to improve bike setup where you go out for a few laps, come back to the pits, fettle the suspension or whatever it is your testing, and go straight back out. No worries about your session ending.

Wishing I was going...
Old 09-Feb-2005, 18:35

Mood: Want some knee down action
Quote:
Originally posted by WeeJohnyB
Open pit lane is fantastic, so much more relaxed, come and go as you please. I agree it needs the rider to realise when they're tired, but most of us know when we've had enough and the thing is, you're not tempted to go out in the 'last session' etc to get you're money's worth. There's no need to stay out until you're too tired, just come in and go back out again, simple. No Limits foreign days are all open pit lane. Mort and I are off to Jerez next week. Last year I went out as the track opens at 10 and did a few laps, again at lunchtime when nobody was out and then before they close at 6, again when it was quiet. Totally relaxed, able to chat and fettle and go for a wander watching others in your shorts & shades and then come back and go out with your mates, no pressure at all, time to build up speed without the clock ticking on your normal 15 minutes on track in normal UK 3 groups. I really love it.

So, my new CBR600RR is being loaded up into the truck on Friday night with my spares, tools, tyres and kit for the trip to the sun....I'll see it and a load of other bikes on Wednesday as I help to unload them all and put them in the gargares reading for the punters arriving on Thursday. Excited, me???

WeeJohnyB

Yep I agree with all of the above. I did the Estoril event with Go last year and for me it was the best track day I ever had. That simple. The presure is really off, there's no need to rush into the track when you are not in the mood, I even had time to adjust the height of the pressure plates from my slipper clutch I was using for the first time... has for being tired, I think we are all grown up here and when you feel that you are starting to loose concentration and start to make mistakes, then is time to come out.

I really really recommend these events.

PC
Old 20-Feb-2005, 01:17
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
mmm sounds very tempting to me, mugello does sound good but probably not much fun on a 748 on that straight away

biker14 whats wrong with getting your knee down this time of year, ive been out scraping tarmac today quite safely. you cant beat that feeling of passing your mate on the outside and then diving inside with your knee dwon, well unless it happens to be the bloke that you teach cbt's for but thats another story
Old 24-Feb-2005, 21:49

Mood: Want some knee down action
Quote:
Originally posted by deej
mmm sounds very tempting to me, mugello does sound good but probably not much fun on a 748 on that straight away

biker14 whats wrong with getting your knee down this time of year, ive been out scraping tarmac today quite safely. you cant beat that feeling of passing your mate on the outside and then diving inside with your knee dwon, well unless it happens to be the bloke that you teach cbt's for but thats another story

well, I really hate having to do it on open public roads, near me I don't have that much good, clear roads I can do it with some safety, so I prefer to keep it for the track. Unfortunately here in Portugal track time is something that is very very limited, I'm lucky to get 3 or 4 events per year at Estoril

PC