Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Feb-2006, 17:17
Mille

Mood: childish
998 battery on a 916?

want to relocate the battery on my 916 and have found the 998/999 battery is a fair bit smaller dimension wise.

would i be ok to fit the smaller battery? if it starts a 998/9 shouldnt it be ok?

just wanted to check.

cheers rus
Old 19-Feb-2006, 18:31
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
They also fitted the smaller battery to the later 996s using a spacer in the battery box.
I am led to believe that to allow for the smaller battery they changed the starter system so that it put less load on the battery.
Old 19-Feb-2006, 18:31
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Thought about this on my 748, but was informed that the newer smaller batteries have a lower amp rating, sticking with my larger more ooomph one.

Chris.

[Edited on 19-2-2006 by chris.p]
Old 19-Feb-2006, 19:33
Mille

Mood: childish
cheers for that. gonna try one anyway. if it aint got the oomph i'll think of somthing else ( 2 smaller ones in parallel maybe?)
Old 19-Feb-2006, 20:56
Ducati Dealer
GTL

Mood: Just fallen in love with road riding again!
You should be ok with the smaller battery.

The 998 has a shorter stroke crank, so, like the 748, its easier to turn over (less piston travel per rev) the smaller batteries are ok on 748/916/998 but 996 and 996 S / SPS can be a bugger to push over tdc with a power station hooked up to them, let alone the small battery.

You can buy the adaptor from any Duc dealer (most should keep them in stock) dont quote me but i think they're under £10. no doubt i'll be put right if they are more
Old 26-Feb-2006, 00:18
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Quote:
Originally posted by wilf
You should be ok with the smaller battery.

The 998 has a shorter stroke crank, so, like the 748, its easier to turn over (less piston travel per rev) the smaller batteries are ok on 748/916/998 but 996 and 996 S / SPS can be a bugger to push over tdc with a power station hooked up to them, let alone the small battery.

You can buy the adaptor from any Duc dealer (most should keep them in stock) dont quote me but i think they're under £10. no doubt i'll be put right if they are more

Interesting that you say that Wilf, my brother was complaining today that h's had to go out and get a new battery for his 916sps. The bike still wouldn't fire up and he got concerned when the battery leads started to smoke

Any ideas
Old 26-Feb-2006, 03:58
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Not a good idea. The newer bikes that came with the smaller batteries have a different starter motor gearing to accomodate the lower available starting current.
Old 28-Feb-2006, 15:36
Big Twin
Bikes: 916SPS Ratbike + 749R Shed

Mood: Ugly girls (749) are more dirty.....
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon
Quote:
but 996 and 996 S / SPS can be a bugger to push over tdc with a power station hooked up to them, let alone the small battery.

Interesting that you say that Wilf, my brother was complaining today that h's had to go out and get a new battery for his 916sps. The bike still wouldn't fire up and he got concerned when the battery leads started to smoke

Any ideas

My 916SPS did this the other day when I tried to turn it over for its monthly garage run.
Needless to say - it didn't start.
I find it handy to have a fire extinguisher nearby - to put out the flames caused by blood-boiling-frustration!
This is also known as "character" and is why we love these machines that cause to jump up and down in frustration!

RX
Old 28-Feb-2006, 20:48
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Quote:
Originally posted by RickyX
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon
Quote:
but 996 and 996 S / SPS can be a bugger to push over tdc with a power station hooked up to them, let alone the small battery.

Any ideas

My 916SPS did this the other day when I tried to turn it over for its monthly garage run.
Needless to say - it didn't start.
I find it handy to have a fire extinguisher nearby - to put out the flames caused by blood-boiling-frustration!
This is also known as "character" and is why we love these machines that cause to jump up and down in frustration!

RX

Spoke to my brother the day after to find that she had fired up after spell on the optimate. He did confess to holding the starter button down for a tad longet than he should heve.
Old 01-Mar-2006, 20:11
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Im running a 998 battery on my 888 (which runs the same standard battery as the 916) with no problems. The ducati adaptor part number 82912701A I think and lists at £6.24 and tidies it all up nicely !

Nat