Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 09-Oct-2009, 13:31
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 999 / Kawasaki Z1000

Cadwell Park Report... The final round.

Dedicated to Andy.... Hopefully itll keep you entertained mate. Get well soon.

After my highside at Pembrey i was of the opinion... i just want the season over now! i limped about all week fortunatly only having to do 1 days work and managed to get through it without picking up any more injuries.

When i got to Cadwell and heard the 600's screaming around the track my opinion changed.... i wanna race! So set about preping the bike on saturday, realised id put my forks back together wrong so had to change the spacers and srpings round then my battery was totally flat! brilliant. Had a couple of drinks with Shane then got out of the van to use the lav, then used the phone and watched the fireworks. Un beknown to me that Shane hadnt figured out how to get out of the van and was frantically banging the glass in the hope of being released... he was eventually released from captivity by Paul Cox. F@+cking funny!

Some of you may have noticed me fashioning a rather sporting left trainer and leathers as i limped about the paddock, badly damaged my achilles tendon at pembrey and only through the use of painkillers, deep heat, iboprofen gel and adrenalin did i manage to ride the damn bike.

Race 1
My ambition this weekend.... not to crash! something ive struggled to do this year. qualified in 14th in class which is as per usual really but as i lined up on the grid, notice some oil on my left fork! Bo@#cks! tried to discreetly wipe it off but thought ill just "take it steady" yeah right. Took my start really steady 7 bikes overtook me! great! i was now second to last. I managed to claw a few places at charlies and park then the pack started to spread out and i found myself back behind my nemesis.... Skidlids! ive raced him so many times this year and crashed in front of him at pembrey. I remembered where i passed him 5 times last time we were at cadwell... the hairpin. So i did it again, i felt it was a bit harsh, i had to slow right down. Sorry kev. Anyway had a good battle with Steve Klee and then set about trying to catch James Thompson. then the final lap flag, a flag which i know associate with crashing! i tried to ease off tried to remember my forks leaking but couldnt. Round the first bend up to charlies and gained slightly on James, thought i could do him... then he leant the bike over and i rememebr thinking "he's got that bike at some lean" then the sparks as the bike lowsided! my heart jumped into my mouth. Anyway Steve was a few seconds back so just brought the battlescared 117 home in 11th!

Race 2

Tried to fix my fork but ended up just putting some tissue under a cable tie to absorb the leak. Got a reasonabley better start, only lost 5 places this time. Much of the same as race one until i caught the back of Craig and Steve Hands infront of Steve Klee and Phil Wilcock. Had a cracking dual with all 4 but especially Phil. after nudging in front at a bend i cant remember the name, before the gooseneck Phil blasted past me on the start finish straight! unreal pace on the machine, i somehow clawed back past him but in fear he was gonna fly straight past me again. Some brilliant close racing, great ride Phil. Managed to finish 10th in class and survived the weekend. Was going to do a burnout but bottled it, didnt want to upset anyone at the track, but then again i did that anyway by recording the race so maybe i should have gone all out.

I knew id got second in the novice championship and congratualtions to Matt Lawson for a terrific season and a worthy winner, but i was delighted with second and when i was awarded a quite magnificent trophy by Andy it just made my year. Its got a special place in the living room and i was delighted.

Just want to say thanks to everyone this year that given me advice, offered me spares after another fall. Dom for fixing my bike, even if he sometimes fails to tighten bolts properly and Shane for getting me to race in the first place. Special thanks to my parents, been amazing having them follow me at every race this year.

The DD paddock really is an incredible place, friendly and everyone wants to help each other. Met some amazing people this year and i cant wait to have another go next year. I want to finish one race on the podium and get into the top ten next year. Always nice to have an aim.

Congrates to Andy and Sam for wining their respective championships. See you all next year.
Old 09-Oct-2009, 15:15
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Nice one Dean, I was waiting all race one for you to bomb past but I was having a good one that race., You made it up in race two by flying past me really early. Always scares the **** out of me when you come past as you have the most bizare hang it off the bike style.

Craig
Old 09-Oct-2009, 17:25
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Nice to read Dean, I'm sure we will have some more battles a lot closer too, I just need to get my corner speed confidence up.

Or maybe you could just lose a bit of it, that would be most beneficial.
Old 09-Oct-2009, 18:11
GTL

Mood: Faster!!!
Nice work Dean......and it was all going so well! BTW had I made it round that corner you wouldnt have seen me for dust ......at one or other of the corners anyway!

See you next year and thanks for the footage.

Have a good winter

Jimbers
Old 09-Oct-2009, 19:18
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
Nice dedication to that champ.

Great first year Deano....lots of crashing, but kept coming back for more, which sadly means you're addicted in a worse fashion than a crack *****!!

never mind eh!! I have you down for a top 3 championship position if you sort the bike a bit. I reckon that's all that's needed mate.
Old 09-Oct-2009, 19:28
500SD

Mood: ready to race
well done dean your a good rider mate podiums shouldent be a problem for you just need to sort your bike and im sure your be a winner top riding this year
Old 10-Oct-2009, 00:22
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
Aim high fella, or you'll pee on your foot

Well done for stopping on and I'm with you on the foot hastles....

Thanks for the report & see you out there next year

Andy