Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Nov-2006, 00:19
Mille

Mood: Ride with me, Ground Shaking comes as standard..
How do you ride yours?

I'm really missing being able to gof for a nice dry hoon around.

After owning the bike for 18 months, i still do not appear to have settled into a particular style and quite often attempt at reviewing my riding "style" see if i can do anything different, say more efficient/quicker/smoother. Yet i've still to get into a natural rythm. Despite having covered about 8k miles on this particular bike.

I attended 2 trackdays this year both at Mallory, on the 2 occasions i found myself riding differently the second time i was trying to vary my style too much and was making mistakes and barely getting away with some. Other than more and more practice, i'm not sure how to find my best suited technique. (perhaps go to an advanced riding school)

I have wondered in the past if it is the nature of the bike that means a slightly different approach is warranted. I regularly ride with 1 particular mate and both of us have progrssed somewhat, however he is riding a Triumph 650daytona, and on more oten than not quicker than i. Partly due to him not being quite as cautious, i do avoid taking as many "risks". He does seem to be able to throw the bike about a bit more, and having loaded both into vans previously the weight difference is particularly noticeable.

I have often wondered if there is a particular knack to getting it right on the 749 (or twins in general)? Slow in fast out? hold a steady speed and power out early, keep it slower and tighter in the real tight stuff? i know there isnt an exact science but ....

Does anyone have any theories towards this or is it just etting more practice/confidence?
Old 23-Nov-2006, 03:51
Mille

it's the wrong time of year to find you limits, the traction is 80% of what itis in the summer, and so inconsistent.
It's fast in and max lean and on the gas on tha apex, thats what ducats do best,
to be fast you have to feel the bike and tyres and know what it will do and what it wont and that means feeling and finding out the hard way, the best racer in the word still falls off to find out when it wont,
I know I fell of a few times to get where I am now,
Old 23-Nov-2006, 08:18
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike mad
it's the wrong time of year to find you limits, the traction is 80% of what itis in the summer, and so inconsistent.
It's fast in and max lean and on the gas on tha apex, thats what ducats do best,
to be fast you have to feel the bike and tyres and know what it will do and what it wont and that means feeling and finding out the hard way, the best racer in the word still falls off to find out when it wont,
I know I fell of a few times to get where I am now,

just goes to show how different people are. i would disagree with most of the above. not because its wrong just because i have a different style.

i dont think fast in is the way, for me better to go in slightly slower under total control and try to power on as early as possible before the apex generally speaking. if you are on max lean then there is no margin for error or correction if needed for any reason. i also dont think you need to crash to find your limits. you can explore and push your limits gradually without the risk of smashing either yourself or your bike up. IMHO

as for riding 'style' really just go for what you feel comfortable with. if you look at the top motogp riders there is a huge variation in riding styles, some of them really 'poor' according to the 'experts' bt they get round a track ok!

Last edited by dickieducati : 23-Nov-2006 at 08:40.
Old 23-Nov-2006, 08:20
BSB Star

also winter trackdays are a great way to get the feel of your bike. yes it will have less traction, but its a good way to experience and understand how much difference rider input can make. and they are chirpy cheap too.
Old 23-Nov-2006, 13:08
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Thumbs up

It's coming up to the best time of year for learning about limits (yours and the bikes). So long as it's not sheet ice and freezing temperatures the road surfaces will have enough grip for you to practice, especially if you can get yourself a mid-size "rat-bike" you won't worry too much about, then just wrap up warm and ride through the winter for the experience
Old 23-Nov-2006, 14:30
Mille

Mood: Ride with me, Ground Shaking comes as standard..
Don't get me wrong, i've done a lot of riding in the most adverse conditions.

I was in france last year with the torrential downpours and have ridden in the 2 winters i have had my licence, and like you say unless it's sheet ice then its not really a problem, but i dont really get enjoyment riding in wet conditions, it used to be a lot "easier" on my sv650 with its relaxed riding position, but in supersport mode it aint great fun. I was considering maybe getting a 'strada for scratching in all conditions.

What i was really meaning in my post was getting the most from the bike itself more than the differing weather riding.

I wonder if i would be quicker or find it easier on something like a tuono, or a lighter 4 cyl bike.

But i don't want one of them, i want my Ducati but i want to ride it well and with style
Old 23-Nov-2006, 19:53
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieducati
just goes to show how different people are. i would disagree with most of the above. not because its wrong just because i have a different style.

i dont think fast in is the way, for me better to go in slightly slower under total control and try to power on as early as possible before the apex generally speaking. if you are on max lean then there is no margin for error or correction if needed for any reason. i also dont think you need to crash to find your limits. you can explore and push your limits gradually without the risk of smashing either yourself or your bike up. IMHO

as for riding 'style' really just go for what you feel comfortable with. if you look at the top motogp riders there is a huge variation in riding styles, some of them really 'poor' according to the 'experts' bt they get round a track ok!
the way I see it you brake too much, so are too slow going into the corner and then have to make up your speed on the exit, you cant put full power down on full lean, so you won't catch up, I used to ride my XZ12R like that,
but like you say if it works for you then it's right for you.
as for this time of year it's not good to ride on cold tyers and it takes me 20 to 30 mins to get them up to temp and you still dont have that grip like in the summer,
as for your margin for eroer I leave that in the line I take, and the fact I dont brake close to the corner,
that way if I want to go to the limit I just take the racing line and brake a bit later, thats much easier to do than suddenly learn the feel of the tyers,
Old 23-Nov-2006, 20:00
Ducati Corse

How do you ride yours?

I'm not at the moment

wet leaves + damp roads + iffy me = bit of a prob at the mo

roll on a couple of weeks or so time

C

ps: Xmas day is a good time to get out in the mid morning, well away from churches tho!
Old 23-Nov-2006, 20:16
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK

ps: Xmas day is a good time to get out in the mid morning, well away from churches tho!

too right! i went out last xmas day for a quick blat. absolutely superb.
Old 24-Nov-2006, 15:50
888 at Last !!!

Mood: On the up
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieducati

Spot on - what's right for you might not be right for others. Each to their own, give or take some good basic advice. Thereafter, up to you, as long as you're safe and enjoying it...