Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-May-2006, 00:01
500SD

Mood: YELLOW!!!
Are 749/999 Clutch Parts Interchangeable With 748/9**?

Just wondering, as if that broken stud can't be extracted from the spring post, I'll need a new clutch drum (I don't want to redrill and re-tap).

I'm watching a few 999 bits on eBay including a clutch drum.

Are they the same?

Ta.
Old 17-May-2006, 00:46
GTL

Yes-the only difference on the latest centres is they have a steel insert where the shim washer goes -on the face between the posts-so it doesnt wear as quick as the old type-so totally interchangeable
Old 17-May-2006, 11:43

Did you see my suggestion in your first post? Get the sheared screw removed by spark erosion.

This involves an electrode discharging a spark onto the screw. This happens thousands of times a second and each time it removes a minute piece of metal... Last time I had it done it cost about £20 - much cheaper than a new clutch...

Hope this helps!
Old 17-May-2006, 22:28
500SD

Mood: YELLOW!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Stinkwheel
Did you see my suggestion in your first post? Get the sheared screw removed by spark erosion.

This involves an electrode discharging a spark onto the screw. This happens thousands of times a second and each time it removes a minute piece of metal... Last time I had it done it cost about £20 - much cheaper than a new clutch...

Hope this helps!

thanks, yes i had thought of that, but no doubt it will require the clutch to be disassembled? given my recent track record, i'm not sure if i fancy getting that 186nm centre nut off myself with the bike on a wobbly side or paddock stand on my higgley piggledy broken sloping driveway.

if the clutch has to come to pieces, i might as well have a new drum and basket fitted at the same time (the drum is only £60).

it needs all sorts of other stuff doing to it including chain and sprockets and the new seat unit also needs painting so i've booked it into tecmoto for the second week in june.

thanks for the advice though, it was appreciated.
Old 18-May-2006, 12:26

Nae bother!

Good luck
Old 18-May-2006, 12:30
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
I got a second hand drum on ebay for 30quid a while ago , might be worht keeping your eyes on Ebay
Old 18-May-2006, 14:01
Big Twin

The newer type drums (drums? I call it the hub) with the steel inserts are a better job, no doubt.
Old 18-May-2006, 14:05
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by moto748
The newer type drums (drums? I call it the hub) with the steel inserts are a better job, no doubt.

Yep and they are Alunmium as well , i got a Ergal clutch basket ,and will get some alu plates to go with it soon ,it all adds up