Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 22-Jun-2006, 15:31
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Getting to and from the MotoGP

Have not been to Donny for MotoGP before but heard plenty of horror stories. So, anyone have any good advice on how to avoid the worst? Will be coming down the M1 from the (frozen) north.

Also, what's the crack with caravans and camper vans? Do they have designated parking for these or do park in the same area as general parking. Presumably, there are no hook-ups. Anyone done this before?

Cheers.
Old 22-Jun-2006, 16:13
Ducati Corse

Mood: Looking for a one way ticket to the 'Ring.
If you have already got tickets, by the sound of it not, they supply a map.
Mine says take junction 24A on M1 follow green route and you will be taken to Redgate bike parking area.
Lower down, both junction 24 and 23A take you via the blue route, south of track also to Redgate parking area.
As I have only parked in Redgate area before, I cannot recommend any other areas, but you will also see bikes parked at other spots so maybe someone else can advise here.
Old 22-Jun-2006, 16:32
Ducati Meccanica

I'll be in a 4-wheeled vehicle, I'm afraid.
Old 22-Jun-2006, 16:41
Ducati Corse

Okay then, make my life easy why won't you.
Also junction 24A, Yellow route takes you to car parks, NE of circuit.
Junction 24/23A Blue route will take you to car parks SE of circuit.
Allow plenty of time in the morning and just don't try to go after the Moto Gp race.
Sit back relax and enjoy the rain and other races, leave 5/6 ish and probably get home same time.
Old 22-Jun-2006, 16:51
Ducati Meccanica

Well, I do have a caravan that I could borrow...maybe go down Saturday. Anyone done it in a caravan or camper van? Where do you park one of them then (sorry, Jeff, it's getting yet more complicated!)
Old 22-Jun-2006, 16:53
Ducati Corse

Me and my son will be doing the Ride in on the Thurdsay on the Duke, I only hope one day he thanks me.
I'd have loved it if, I could done all this bike stuff as a kid.
Old 22-Jun-2006, 17:51
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix
Well, I do have a caravan that I could borrow...maybe go down Saturday. Anyone done it in a caravan or camper van? Where do you park one of them then (sorry, Jeff, it's getting yet more complicated!)

I'd call donington on 01332 810048 and ask them, just in case you have to turn up at certain times/dates, they can tell you if there is any space left in the camping area.
It may also effect the ticket you have to buy if your camping.
Old 22-Jun-2006, 20:34
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix
Have not been to Donny for MotoGP before but heard plenty of horror stories. So, anyone have any good advice on how to avoid the worst? Will be coming down the M1 from the (frozen) north.

Also, what's the crack with caravans and camper vans? Do they have designated parking for these or do park in the same area as general parking. Presumably, there are no hook-ups. Anyone done this before?

Cheers.
AFAIK there is a separate feild for caravans and campers,....dont think there is any hook ups tho.Monty has taken his motorhome before,he could advise better than me.
Getting in will be ok,just expect a long wait getting out,....unless you leave halfway through the race.
Me,I intend to be there fri,sat and sun,...travelling over each day.Great ride across country for me. Its become a bit of a tradition for Marko,Seb and I to have a day off work on the friday.
Wont bother with the Day of Champs thing,...done it once,...never again.
Old 22-Jun-2006, 21:21
Ducati Meccanica

Right, I think I've made up my mind. Will be there in a caravan setting up on Saturday and planning to have a BBQ dinner after the race while waiting for the worst of the exodus to be over. If anyone fancies a cold one before braving the roads after the race, feel free to stop buy. You won't be able to miss the grottiest caravan in the field attached to a blue Audi estate. It'll be proper gypsy stuff! LOL.
Old 22-Jun-2006, 22:56
Ducati Corse

Mood: www.suzukisportingclub.com the only place to be
Last time I went - 2 years ago - it took me 5 hours to get out of Donny and back to Surrey and that was on a bike. Had similar problems going to BSB there. Never again.