Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 06-Oct-2009, 21:28
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Gbyte666 Cadwell 2 Race Report

Gbyte666 Cadwell 2 Race Report

Grab a coffee for this one

I did it, I’m a racer.
I had 4 Aims for this year as a Novice Racer.
· To finish every race
· Not to come last
· To have fun
· To beat Skids
My tickets and paperwork never arrived for Cadwell so Nick B and I set off a little late on Sat to fight our way through the traffic with the M40 closed off and the M1 turning into a car park. We arrived to a windy downpour with tents and awnings racing around the paddock about an hour before the Desmo race and quickly set about getting new rubber on the bike and scrutinized. The bike passed OK as normal and I left it in the bay to go into the office to sign on. Rushing out of the office to get the bike back to the van so I could watch the Desmo, DOH I’m sure I parked it here. “Aint seen it M8” the marshals say. So there I stand looking around for my bike? Running back to my van to find Nick I was more than relived to see her parked up. Errr thx for that Nick.
Race one was a ball to watch as usual and I could not believe how close Tim was riding off the back of Andy, it was like he had he shoelace caught in the back of Shep’s wheel. Then armed with the camera waiting for Andy to come into focus Tim comes flying into shot where he had flew into the lead. Absolutely gutted for you when we heard over the speakers that you had pulled off the track with bike problems. But then you were back in the race and pulled a third place, impressive. I quickly rushed off to the local video store to rent you a movie to watch that night as it might help you relax for the Sunday races. I hope it helped.

Dave Holland Party

Now that was just fantastic, Holbeach did a great job there. Those massive trophies that were awarded earlier sure could hold a lot of beer. I was relived to be told by Ross that he had packed a pair of pants in his sporran in case he had a go on the bucking bronco, kept my camera well away from Ross that night as he sat there legs a kimbo and people lifting his kilt expecting me to take a photo. NOOOoooo
The fireworks were a fantastic part of the party.

Race Day

I had entered the Allcomers race to scrub my new tyres in and to try and dial in for the Desmo qualifying. 1:57 was my fastest lap round Cadwell at the last race so I really wanted to equal that or better. I gingerly made my way round on new tyres whilst the 125’s screamed past and around the corners for three laps before picking up the pace. My gear changing was all wrong through the woodlands and lines were everywhere. I felt like I just got it right when the chequered flag came out. I had managed a miserable 2:05
Out for Desmo qualifying I kept an eye on my lap timer going down the back straight as I needed a decent time for a good place on the grid. Each time round I saw a 1:58 then a 1:57, brilliant I had reached my best race time in qualifying. As I went past the chequered flag I waited until I was down the back straight again, big deep breath and looked down. 1:56 Brilliant.
I was not going to do the Allcomers race as it is usually a bit manic with the mix of different classes but Nog persuaded me to go out and have some fun. “I’ll just do a few laps and some mingers over the mountain for a laugh and then I’ll be pulling in” I told my wife.
I had a great start pulling a decent wheelie most of the way down the straight but keeping it pinned and before I knew it I was having a ball chasing close behind Skids and Steve hands. All three of us were exactly matched down the back straight but Kev was last to break and turn in each time. The last two laps I think it was Neil Appleby who had gone on the grass earlier cut into me ( fair move ) at Park so that I took park a little tight causing the rear to step out as I powered it round still lent over to try and take it back. I lost it for a bit and dropped back ending up racing and battling with a Honda 500. Thanks David for talking me into going out. Loved it and managed a fair 21st out of 33
Today was Nick Boustead’s birthday and Manda & I had arranged a surprise get together in the paddock for Nick with some Cake/candles and bubbly. I managed to gather most of the paddock together in the short time. ( Now I know how hard it is for Trudie )
Happy Birthday Nick and thanks for all of your help this year.

Race One

I was really up for this race with my best place on the grid all year and on the left hand side. It was now or race two to tick off one of my uncompleted aims for the year. Beat Skids.
He is a hell of an experienced racer and I had tried and tried all year to get him. I got close a few times but that was it and the time I passed him laying under his bike at Mallory didn’t count. My start wasn’t the best as I lurched just before the lights but I managed to pull through and hold on going into Charlies. Steven Hands managed to get past me so I set my sights on chasing him, as we got onto park straight we were in a drag race side by side all the way up to Park corner. Oh no who’s gona break first. I just about managed it but it was a close thing as I pushed wide onto the rumble but it stuck. For the rest of the race I could hear Steven on my tail each time I reached chicane and the hairpin. He showed me his front wheel a few times but that helped me push harder. Chequered flag was a welcome sight and I had finished my best 15th with my fastest Cadwell lap of 1:55
Then I realised I had done it, I had finally managed to beat Kev in a straight race and he gentlemanly congratulated me by holding out a hand down park straight. Would I be able to do that again race 2 ?
Race Two

As we sat there waiting for race two the skies darkened. Lots of DD’rs looking skyward and a few not bothered if it rained, a few turning into weather experts and convincing everyone it wasn’t going to rain. This was countered by Dallas declaring he was an outside builder and knew it was going to rain, thoughts of taking my leathers off set in but I couldn’t end the season missing this one race. Arghhhhh
Just as we lined up in the holding area spits of rain could be seen on my tank and visor and as we set off on the warm up lap it was clearly visible all over my visor. Going through Charlies two I thought sod it just pull in before the mountain. As I went down Park I looked left and right to clear the rain from the visor and by the time I got to the mountain there was still no new drops on the visor. Race on then.
This had to be the best start I ever had when the lights went out I shot up the left hand side and went up to something like 8th place going into the left hander. Wow
Second Lap and I was holding a 14th place but then Phil ( Ghost ) came flying past me on the breaks into Park corner and on a mission, I set about chasing him when a little later Dean came past and then to be honest thought its my last race I really really do not want to finish my season on my arse. I tried hard though to keep my place when Steven Hands and Steven Klee came past as well. At least I still had Kev Ellis behind me. Last lap flag and as I come into woodlands hairpin BANG Skids comes in on my right sitting me up. I had left the door wide open again ( lesson for next year ) and he piped me across the line.
I had done it, every single 2009 DD race entered and finished.
The prize giving at Trudie’s Paddock was special this time. As there was a massive crowd ( you don’t see any of the other classes getting together like we do ) We had two 2009 Champions Class A and B Andy Sheppard and Sam West, Race Winners Tim, Sam and Dominic. Steve Hambrook trophy winner Chaz. Class a Novice champion Tom Parkes it at Halls Bends and Matthew Lawson. And special to Me picking up second place Novice Champion class A. Andy you really do not know how special that made my end of season as a novice.

DD has been one of the best things I have done and I am only sorry that I did not do it sooner, I as all of us newcomers have found the paddock sprit one of the strongest attractions to Desmo Due and I have made so many new friends. Too many to mention but you have ALL been great people.
I like to say a massive thanks to Pete Burchet who co owns #34 and did all the mechanics for me this season. She never missed a beat all season.
Gigantic big it up and thanks to Nick Bousted for everything, Mentor / Jedi Knight / Spanner / being there and great company. Could not have done it without you Nick. I know how hard you worked and committed as well as spannering with the Knight Race Team with hardly a weekend to yourself. Next year maybe we can get one race where we race each other. Assen ?
Biggest thanks by far go’s to my three loyal supporters. My Wife Manda and two sons Jack and Ben. They came to and supported every single race. They gave up so much to allow me to race and I need to do something really special to make that up to them. It feels my heart with tears of joy when your son calls you a hero after a race or when they all meet me at pit lane after my first race at Donnington cheering and waving. I had to flip my dark visor down as I was crying. GOLDEN Moment.
Next Year ?
Damm this racing lark is addictive.
Anyone selling a class B bike
Craig #34
Old 06-Oct-2009, 21:36
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
well done mate, you've thrown everything at it this year in terms of commitment and enthusiasm
Old 06-Oct-2009, 21:58
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Really well done Craig, love reading the posts and seeing the great pics you take. But love racing with you most of all, I had to work hard to make that pass.
Old 06-Oct-2009, 22:16
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse SE, Evoluzione 2 ....

Mood: Dementor hunted by Foggy :)
Well done Craig, a fantastic first year M8

Hants - Meet Popham Airfield every 2nd Sunday of the Month @ 1pm

Ducati Snells of Alton : >>
848 Corse SE Evoluzione 2 : >>
Dementor Site :>>
Sponsor of DD Riders
Old 06-Oct-2009, 22:18
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
Great read Craig and very well done!

It'd be interesting seeing you out there on a Class B bike next year, dont thinks it been done.

All the best

Andy
Old 06-Oct-2009, 22:30
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Sweeeeet - great report and a great year, nice one mate.
Old 06-Oct-2009, 23:00
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
Holy Shizzle!!

There aren't too many things that makes me laugh properly out loud...but that picture was superfly belly laughter...excellent!

It's been great to see your progress, both as a rider, and as a personality within DD. This is what makes DD special, the people. The racing is amazing and sooo important, but entirely secondary in my opinion.

Nice report Craig (again)..I'll have to keep on my toes!
Old 06-Oct-2009, 23:01
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
Oh yeah, I think you should stay in Class A...there's plenty more to come from you on that bike yet.
Old 06-Oct-2009, 23:08
Mille
Bikes: 999 bip zx6r DD

Well done Craig a great achievement mate!
Old 06-Oct-2009, 23:35
GTL

Mood: Faster!!!
Well done craig! nice work!