Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 06-Aug-2013, 11:30
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Best money I ever spent was sending the suspension away (to Racing Lines) and having the fork springs and shock spring changed, forks and shock serviced (new oil, seals, etc) and setup properly for my weight.

Everyone that rode it said it was the best handling bike they'd ever ridden!

It's amazing that some people still don't even change their suspension to see what effects they feel, let alone have them setup properly.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 06-Aug-2013, 15:20
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
I sent my class b bike off to race-lab and it was awesome, my class A bike HM racing rebuilt and sprung my shock, but no set up, I did it my self, probably not very well though.

for my new class a bike I kept the forks from my old bike and used the std road shock which didn't work for me, my new shock is pretty cool.
Old 06-Aug-2013, 21:47
500SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonye
Best money I ever spent was sending the suspension away (to Racing Lines) and having the fork springs and shock spring changed, forks and shock serviced (new oil, seals, etc) and setup properly for my weight.

Racing lines have done a lot of stuff for me this year. Great bunch of guys and hoping to get the bike back in there at the end of season to get the suspension sorted.

Mark
Old 06-Aug-2013, 23:00
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
You fall off
Old 07-Aug-2013, 11:22
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
You fall off

when you accelerate you get weight transference to the rear which causes it to squat. I read somewhere years ago, that you also get 'anti-squat' caused by the torque of the engine pulling the chain against the rear sprocket which pulls the rear wheel forwards and pushes the swinging arm downwards, (have you ever noticed the rear of the bike lift up on the dyno) if you raise the rear ride height you change the angle of the swinging arm changing the squat and anti-squat. which may cause you to fall off so 10 out of 10 bradders..

just what i've read,,,, I know not what i'm talking about,,,, I should fit in the paddock quite well
Old 07-Aug-2013, 12:55
Mille
Bikes: DD class B, Street Triple, Tiger 1050

[quote=mat2hew]when you accelerate you get weight transference to the rear which causes it to squat. I read somewhere years ago, that you also get 'anti-squat' caused by the torque of the engine pulling the chain against the rear sprocket which pulls the rear wheel forwards and pushes the swinging arm downwards, (have you ever noticed the rear of the bike lift up on the dyno)QUOTE]
So does the squat and anti-squat cancel each other out
Old 07-Aug-2013, 13:11
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by banger san
So does the squat and anti-squat cancel each other out

it shouldn't 'coz you want a curtain amount, there should be more squat than anti squat,

I recon that somebody who knows what they are talking about should answer that.
Old 07-Aug-2013, 13:54
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Keith Code (of CSS fame) says that the rear increases in height under acceleration due to torque acting on the pivot of the swingarm.

This makes sense, and he challenges those who don't believe him to put the front wheel against a wall and try accelerating to see which way it goes!

The reason behind him telling you this is to back-up his rule about weight transfer and positive throttle through a corner; by keeping a positive throttle through the corner you maintain your weight balance as well as improving ground clearance.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 07-Aug-2013, 19:21
Big Twin

now,,,, in reverse to that,, when you pull the front brake the weight transfers to the front and the front goes down and the back goes up, which is pretty obvious but what happens when you use the rear brake? why? and how can we use that to our advantage?
Old 07-Aug-2013, 21:05
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat2hew
but what happens when you use the rear brake? why? and how can we use that to our advantage?

Does that not depend on how your rear caliper is mounted
usually 4 options
Fixed mount above the swingarm
Fixed Mount below the swingarm
Floating mount above the swingarm
Floating mount below the swingarm

any of which will act as anti wheelie and ideal for rotating the front to land the back edge of a table top jump correctly

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook