Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Jun-2006, 20:38
Big Twin

Eccentric adjuster 180 degree out?

Someone help me!

Having a problem with my adjuster on my 996r.

A few weeks ago I got some track day bodywork (Barrys) and on fitting it I noticed the rear of the bellypan was very close to the rear tyre. It actually only had a few mm clearance. I noticed the gap on Lilys bike was much larger and her and JPM very kindly came round and helped me get it somewhere near right. Actually Lily did all the work and me and Jon stood round talking. Had a few test runs on the bike and no problems with fouling even though the pan was still very close to the rear tyre.

Yesterday I had another test ride and everything seemed fine until I noticed the exhaust where it curves down from the rear cylinder (near the forwardmost part of the rear tyre) was highly polished where the tyre had been making very light contact. Obviously not supposed to happen.

Got plenty of info of here and Ducati Oop North re the eccentric adjuster. The main info was that the eccentric should be at around 4 or 5 oclock in the swinging arm with the chain at correct tension. Now I have slackened of the pinch bolts and slackened and removed chain from rear sprocket. And it is possible to get the eccentric in the 4/5 oclock position but not with the chain on the sprocket. I must point out I have standard sprockets and chain with the correct (94) amount of links in place.

It seem to me that its impossible to get a full revolution of the adjuster as when you get so far the caliper plate goes up tight against the locating pin on the wheel side of the swinging arm stopping full 360 degree movement.

Is it possible that at some point the eccentric bearing holder assembly has been removed and replaced 180 degrees out? I've been scratching my head for the past hour or so and then realised that when playing with the adjuster that to tighten the chain I was having to turn the adjuster clockwise (viewed from sprocket side) and not anticlockwise to tighten the chain.

Do I just need to remove it all and replace it 180 degrees out?

Am I correct that its wrong or am I talking a load of tosh?

Ps, I have measured ride height before starting so I can reset to what it was later.
Old 05-Jun-2006, 20:45
Big Twin

Oh well, still struggling to get it sorted. Turned the eccentric far enough so its operating correct way ie anti clockwise to tighten. However with the chain way too tight the clearance between exhaust and rear tyre is still not that big (half worn tyre as well) The eccentric with chain way too tight still only comes to about 6.30 oclock when everyone tells me it should be between 4 and 5 oclock. (looking from sprocket side)

Any ideas anyone? Gonna order a new chain with 96 instead of 94 links in the morning as I cant think of what else to do.
Old 05-Jun-2006, 20:50
Big Twin

Thanks to Nelly for the quick chat earlier. I know youre busy and I appreciate the time you took to answer my queries. I did loosen all the exhaust system but couldnt get it any further away from the tyre.
Old 05-Jun-2006, 20:51
Montjuic

Hope you find the answer Martin, I have a similar problem,mines about 6.30, and I'm just about to fit a belly pan.
Old 05-Jun-2006, 22:44
Big Twin

Thanks, if it wasnt for the fact I fitted Barrys bodywork this problem wouldnt have come to light. The Bellypan is a good inch or so longer and hence further back than the standard carbon one fitted. On fitting the kit it was that close to the rear tyre that if I grabbed hold of and lifted the rear of the bike as the swinging arm dropped the tyre contacted the bellypan. A lot of messing about got the clearance ok where the tyre just missed by about 5mm. It was only on a ride on saturday when I was checking to see if the new bellypan was unscathed that I notice the polished section of the exhaust. Scary thing about it is that it must only be touching at high speed when the tyre grows in diameter with the centrigugal force.

I'm confused as to why its only seemed to be a problem now. The bikes just got 4000 miles on it but the chain must have stretched a little which would mean by adjusting it the rear wheel should be further rearward than standard and also there a few mm worn from the centre of the rear tyre. So a brand new tyre and standard (94 link) chain would have the rear tyre within a fraction of the exhaust.

You can get the chain tensioned in 2 points of the 360 degree rotation of the eccentric. One is correct at supposedly 4 to 5 oclock and the other is horribly wrong as it cause problems with the lower run of the chain running against the swinging arm and also the tyre will rub the hugger. When I sent JPM a pic the other week of how close the bellypan was he said that to him the wheel looked too far forward and close to the exhaust as well.

Going to order a Tsubaki gold chain with 2 extra links in the morning. Got one for the Multistrada last week and was impressed with the quality. Bit of a pain with those hardened links to fit though.
Old 05-Jun-2006, 22:50
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
The bellypan most likely (coming from Barry) will be the Corsa one which uses a longer swinging arm, hence it's closer to rear wheel on a road bike.
Old 06-Jun-2006, 01:32
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
I tried to send you a pic of th excentric but the site would not show your email addy , U2 me it and i will email the pic if it would help any ?
Old 06-Jun-2006, 01:40
Big Twin

Thanks Totto, I already have pics of the eccentric via Haynes manual and something Shazaam posted.

Felix, youre right that the bellypan is the corse one and is a good bit longer than standard. However its probably a good half inch nearer the rear wheel than the identical pan on Lilys bike.

I will see if I can get some pics up showing the exhaust where its been rubbing.
Old 06-Jun-2006, 01:42
Big Twin

You can see the shiny bit at the horizontal section of the pipe highest up the bike. If that makes sense?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eccentric 996r.jpg (79.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 06-Jun-2006, 01:45
Big Twin

A pic of just how close the bellypan was to wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bellypan.jpg (15.2 KB, 43 views)