Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 12-Oct-2006, 11:11
Ducati Corse

Mood: Looking for a one way ticket to the 'Ring.
Popped my offroad cherry at the weekend

As part of my Enduro Africa trip I'm doing this November, we were sent along to LLandovery in Wales to meet up with some guys who are doing next years event for a bit of basic offroad training.
The guys have links/ran GB motorcross team, Enduro events etc. So they were well experienced. Up turns 24 individuals, half of whom had no or very little offroad experience. After 2 days and 5 different bikes (1 aching groin from kicking over this KTM 400) I'm a little bit more eperienced now.
Would I do it again too right, am I thinking of getting an offroad toy.............. too right, what a blast.
For those that have not done it before give it a go, as long as you have the equipment it's ok to fall off.
One guy had knee protectors and road boots, was ok for the first day, on the second day he caught a forward facing branch and it skewered him in the leg between the gap of his low boots and knee pads, removed a nice slice of skin, and off to hospital he went.
So what did I learn, well I'm too old and slow to react to peaky race tuned 2 strokes, the on/off of the throttle was a bit severe, would get a 250 4 stroke if I was going to ride technical stuff in the woods or a KTM 400 if it was fast open track based.
It was fantastic of these guys to turn up with their own bikes for us all to practice on, one guy brought a 250 2 stroke that won the UK championship, it was renamed the ASBO as everyone that got off it alive was taken back by it's speed.
Old 12-Oct-2006, 11:38
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Glad you enjoyed it, i've raved about off road for years, so much fun.

Bet you experienced something like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adv17.JPG (123.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 12-Oct-2006, 11:46
Big Twin

Amen...amazed more riders don't try it, althoug with the new limited access laws in place now...stringing a good ride together is proving difficult.

You've wetted my appetite now, going have to fit the dirt wheels to the DR and get dirty this weekend!!!

A couple of pics from last year...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic4.jpg (60.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg pic5.jpg (67.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg pic6.jpg (124.8 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Harv748 : 12-Oct-2006 at 11:48.
Old 12-Oct-2006, 11:53
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDG
Glad you enjoyed it, i've raved about off road for years, so much fun.

Bet you experienced something like this

Fortunately I only had 2 offs, they were the commedy slow speed ones, front wheel dug in and stopped the bike then fell off into a bush.
Old 12-Oct-2006, 11:57
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv748
Amen...amazed more riders don't try it, althoug with the new limited access laws in place now...stringing a good ride together is proving difficult.

You've wetted my appetite now, going have to fit the dirt wheels to the DR and get dirty this weekend!!!

A couple of pics from last year...

The last one of the muddy lane was more like it.
We were in this private wood that was also used for the Welsh/UK Enduro championship events with some savage decents, that we stayed away from!
We either had fast open gravel roads or muddy lanes with deep water filled ruts or technical tree lined climbs/decents through the woods.
Went to Wales for 2 days and no rain.
Old 12-Oct-2006, 11:58
Ducati Corse

Harv your 3rd pic reminds me of what we're doing this weekend. Trail riding from MAnchester upto Northumberland, stay overnight, then trail ride back, yeeha and the weather forecast is good as well
Old 12-Oct-2006, 12:05
Big Twin

Your gonna have fun...those pics are from our little trip last year (or was it the year before???) anyway, great fun.

I plotted the entire route on a garmin GPS prior to leaving and just trusted it the entire way. Only had to look at the map once on a 250 mile trip, virtually all off road. Great bit of kit.

Planning on doing it again later ths month hopefully.

Don't forget to take some piccies and post 'em up here.
Old 12-Oct-2006, 12:06
Ducati Corse

WHere did you go on your trip Harv?

Don't worry i'll be taking the camera
Old 12-Oct-2006, 12:11
Big Twin

From home in Oxford, headed South West...to Salisbury Plain...nearly got shot...camped for the night...and then a different route back.

We didn't go till Late October last year...and with no lights, we had to be stopped by 5.30 ish.

We planned on doing a much longer 3 or 4 dayer this summer...the thought of 12 hours in the saddle had me grinning from ear to ear...but it just never happened due to work/families etc...next year maybe.
Old 12-Oct-2006, 13:44
500SD

Mood: Out with the grey....in with the satin black
Jeff.....sound's like you had a great time & I bet you can't wait 'til your Enduro Africa trip.

I've got a 200 2-smoke KTM for the on/off throttle response you mentioned.....great fun, but then I grew up racing 2-stroke crossers from 6-16 yrs old! I've been doing some enduro races on it this year, but I've discovered I don't bounce or heal as welll as I did back then though!

Harv....your avatar cracks me up every time I see it!