Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-May-2006, 17:02
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
Agree totally mate... bbut don't you think some people are assuming the guy who made the contact or even nearly did in the examples above are giving the impression that they thought the guy was in the wrong automatically and should be thrown off..

People make mistakes, it's that simple... you come into a corner and think 'OK, i've got a huge gap here' then the guy on your outside lets off the brakes and turns in 10m earlier than he did the previous lap.... well, obviously you've then got no-where to go....

As for the people T-boned.... Jesus, at times it's the easiest mistake ever to miss braking points, you wouldn't believe how many BSB boys were doing this at Fulstons last week at Oulton. It's all about trying to get a little bit closer to the limit.
Old 03-May-2006, 17:34
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Interesting discussion-from a TDO's point of view-if no one tells me they are having a problem with someone overtaking-I won't know.
So the rules for Cadwell this year are clear-if you are having a problem-tell me or JohnnyB or one of the other instructors and if possible we will sort it. If you cannot identify the culprit it will be very difficult to do anything about it-and I know that on the Monday we will be riding dukes so that's another problem. In the 6 trackdays I have run so far for the club, and the other part days we have organised, I have had very few people approach me to say others are giving them problems. There were a couple of close passes last year with the DD boys that were reported-which is why I have said that this year they are all in the fast group if riding their DD bikes. It's your club and your trackday so hopefully everyone will treat others the way they would wish to be treated.

Here endeth the lesson-phew!

John
Old 03-May-2006, 17:39
Big Twin

John,

how about doubling up on the Marshalls, as 'watchers' and large numbers on fronts of bikes to allow 'reporting' from the Marshalls ?

Increase the number of instructors with strict instructions not to 'ride and teach' but as 'viewing' type instructors to keep an eye on people ?
Old 03-May-2006, 17:45
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Monty,

Might be worth a reminder of this at the briefing - I know No Limits (especially John's!) briefings include this, but pointing out that there's nothing wrong with "having a word" with the instructors on the day about anything you feel uncomfortable with. The instructors can then talk to the perpetrator in confidence, to ensure that they are aware of the problem - perceived or real. This also acts as the first stage of someone getting the boot if they continue to behave like a dick.

I've never heard it put in these terms, so it would be nice if it could be explanied in a "non-grassing-up-your-mates" kind of way!
Old 04-May-2006, 17:20
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Quote:
Maybe there should be an obligation enforced by the insurance that all ACU holders are only permitted in the fast group on a commercial track day? I know that won't SOLVE anything, but surely it's the right direction?

I dunno, its no fun on a 49bhp DD bike when you have to be in the same group as guys on 170+bhp IL4s on slicks, the speed difference is huge, especially when approaching braking points.
Even when everyone is riding sensibly its scary tipping it in when you know there could be a guy braking from 50mph faster who is aiming at the same spot but with more grip.....
Old 07-May-2006, 01:08
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
yeah but hes talking about the dsc trackday

im sure most dd'ers wouldnt complain about being in the fast group, yuo are racers after all
Old 07-May-2006, 02:30
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Hello

not sure what to say, as there are alot of good points raised here.
I only started doing track days a couple of years ago, after riding/getting used to the bike on the road (mostly solo riding then on DSC rideouts) To be honest never really gave TD's a thought, but started with Rockingham with the DSC in the wet, and really enjoyed it which was strange, but I kept thinking this would be great in fair weather.

Then went to Cadwell with the DSC and was very nervous, (more so the fact I new I could go as fast as comfortable and many would pass me from all different angles) and for a while kept worring about holding people up. Then I thought as long as I try and take the line that I felt comfortable with (as explained in the briefing. sighting points) the rest of you buggers can go under me or round me, and on many a corner this happened, which for me was a buzz, as I could start to see what lines other people were taking.

I did however have some scarey moments and slowed down to take a breather, but for me personally thats part and parcel. I show respect I get none so be it. . . we do what we do.

The DSC trackdays for me are a must, more so because there are enough instructors within the club to give you advice and instruct, if you need advice ask, if you want to complain . complain make a point!

Outside the DSC well if you dont ask you dont get, in all situations you can get help, and well we all need help:P

I am well aware that we all have different stories to tell, but for me I was very dissapointed that as a club we could not fill the DSC track days.

I would be more than happy just to do DSC trackdays 2/3 a year and continue to go on the occasional ride out even if its raining.

regards

TopiToo
Old 07-May-2006, 21:34
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by TopiToo
I am well aware that we all have different stories to tell, but for me I was very dissapointed that as a club we could not fill the DSC track days.

I too was also disappointed in the turn out for DSC trackday, i'm as guilty as the next person as i was only signed up for Cadwell, not Brands or Oulton... BUt it was a real shame.

For me personally it's the fact that non Ducati/DSC bikes are not allowed which stopped me from riding them. Much as i have friends in the DSC, i have more and closer ones outside of it. My TD's are all about the social side of things and was a huge factor in my decision.

Not that i'm saying they should not be DSC/Ducati only, that's a great plan... ut doesn't necessarily fit with eveyones 'ideal'
Old 09-May-2006, 21:26
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
or fit within everyones costs, for me its more expensive to get to most places than it is to pay for the day so i need a mate to share fuel costs
Old 20-May-2006, 15:16
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
Quote:
Originally posted by twpd
Racers don't have much choice but to use trackdays as ACU test days are becoming rarer

Racers and trackdays don't mix well.

You're right, Mr.trackday bod takes offence at your pass and then rides beyond his limit trying to keep up or pass back then makes a mistake.
I'm not saying all racers are fast but on the whole they are quicker than trackdayers, the trackdayers then try and keep up with predictable results