Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Oct-2006, 21:43
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Talking Dzus fairing fasteners.......

Having ummed and aaahed for the past three years or so I've finally gone & converted my ST fairing to dzus fasteners.
With a bit of a dremelling to the mounting points on the centre panels and the use of a snazzy strip of stainless steel ( sourced from Desmotimes for just over £20 the pair ) each side, it now means that I can remove the side fairings in one piece for tinkering without removing the top fairing so instead of half an hour pulling bits off, it's 6 twists, one 5mm bolt and the panel is off!
Don't know why I didn't do it sooner.....
Old 04-Oct-2006, 22:03
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Unless pictures, plans and a guided step-by-step 'how to' guide are featured in the next available Pronto, I won't be responsible for my actions*

*the actions in question will probably involve seeing a grown man in tears as he wrestles with his ST fairing for the umpteenth time

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 04-Oct-2006, 23:17
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

pleeeease do the decent thing and do as Jools said step by step guide, autoCAD drawings and photos on a CD for all ST owners
Old 04-Oct-2006, 23:40
Big Twin

I'll do my best to sort something out over the next few days......
Old 05-Oct-2006, 08:28
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
Better still - do the decent thing:
Offer to convert all DSC ST4s's at a rate of one bike per week over the winter months, with mine being the first. It is the only respectable thing for you to do for your fellow Ducati ST comarades.

Failing that, this none engineering dimwit would appreciate an "idiot guide".
Old 05-Oct-2006, 09:45
Ducati Corse

Only problem is that the man who makes them only does them when he has enough advance orders. I originally asked him for them about six months ago.
Old 05-Oct-2006, 20:46
Big Twin

We have the technology to replace them... in fact it would work without the brackets just as well..... watch this space.
Old 06-Oct-2006, 00:22
Bikes: Multistrada 1200S, ST4s

If you're a member (or sign up to) the yahoo ST2_owners group, there's a folder with step-by-step instructions at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...0Fasteners%29/

HTH
Richard
Old 06-Oct-2006, 21:20
Big Twin

OK then, the fairing mods..
As mentioned there is an excellent source of info on the ST user group on Yahoo which can be used.
The problem I had with this method was that it was too complicated & replaced fasteners that for my needs didn’t really need touching.
I wanted a simple and cheap way of doing the job and one where I can easily get hold of replacement fasteners if needed.
The parts I used are a total of 12 standard 748 / 9** fasteners & receptacles from any Ducati dealer.
You can get a set of 14 from Ebay for less than £40.
The two stainless brackets can be used but to be honest it will work without them.

Pull your fairing apart…remove the welnuts from the top of the centre section & the bottom of the lower section ( small plate & v-piece. )

Take the centre section & look at it from above… you’ll see the two tabs where two screws hold it on to the side of the bike. Now take your dremel and cut them off! You’ll need to finish up with something like the picture below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fairing 1.jpg (82.0 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by Rushjob : 06-Oct-2006 at 21:35.
Old 06-Oct-2006, 21:22
Big Twin

OK, you’ve done that… now you have to do a similar cut this time to the leading edge of the fairing where it tucks behind the air dam at the front… be sure to leave a tab around the mounting hole where this section screws to the bottom of the air dam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fairing 2.jpg (58.8 KB, 98 views)