Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 22-Jun-2005, 15:39
Mille

Help a duderhead with his gearing!

Up until now I've simply slapped a big-bore on my SS (well, had someone slap it on there for me!!!!), ripped off the original bodywork and lovingly dressed her in the sexiest carbon race-wear I could muster, and then simply swung me leg over #99.....and then CANED THE ARSE OFF IT!!
Wandering round the paddock all I have witnessed is feverish chat about "teeth" and frantic activity changing sprockets etc, so I think it about time I had a go at this mesel'. To that end I'd appreciate any help or advice to stop the continuation of the great tradition of me being thoroughly burnt-up on the straights!

I'm currently running standard gearing, with a front sprocket of ( I don't know what, as I've not looked behind the cover!!!!!!!!!!!) and rear of 41. I assume that I'll need to go a couple less on the rear (sounds impressive?...no?) to stop it over-revving down the long straight.

Assuming that is correct does anyone know who I could contact in order that I could get the thing in time for the meeting?

Any help very greatfully received!

Andy #99

p.s. Sorry my Avatar still isn't working...my computer "lacky" (The Chairman!) is being slothful!
Old 22-Jun-2005, 15:41
Dibble

www.bandcexpress.co.uk are very very quick to deliver, usually next day if ordered before 4 O'clock .... and excellent value ....
Old 22-Jun-2005, 15:45
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
I'd love to help mate but you really need some help from the SS boys. Phil and Ali were running VERY different gearing to my 620 monster.
Old 22-Jun-2005, 15:55
Mille

Quote:
Originally posted by TP
I'd love to help mate but you really need some help from the SS boys. Phil and Ali were running VERY different gearing to my 620 monster.

I thought you did mate...I'm still scouring the "factors" for a 73-tooth rear, but may have to have one 'specially made!

Andy #99

Old 22-Jun-2005, 15:57
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
I still have a 41 on the back with a option to go to a 40, I 'm not sure what my 583 will pull in the way of high geraing alot will depend on wind strength & direction , Senna3 has fitted a 39 rear to his 675 which is the smallest he can go on the rear without using a shorter chain.
Old 22-Jun-2005, 16:03
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy#99
Quote:
Originally posted by TP

I thought you did mate...I'm still scouring the "factors" for a 73-tooth rear, but may have to have one 'specially made!

Andy #99

Did I say 73? I meant 93!

You may need a bigger chain to run a 93 rear!

Most of the SS boys seem to run a 40 or 41 and I just don't think my 620 would pull gearing that tall. We must have very different gearbox's. The smallest rear I've used on mine is a 45. I ran 14/45 at Castle Combe but it's slightly too short for Snet. I have a 44 on order which reminds me, I need to ring B and C.

Otherwise I'll go to 15/46 and see what is better on the track day.
Old 22-Jun-2005, 16:05
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Snetterton should be fine with standard (15/41) gearing.

I bought a range of sprockets from B&C Express - rears are £17 each and a 14 front (about £12 I think) doubles your available ratios.

Go for one either side (say 39 and a 43) and a 14t front and you should have plenty to play with.
Old 22-Jun-2005, 16:10
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
agree with ant..! its a question of buying a few and trying them out..it must be said it is hard to get it " right " for all parts of the circuit its finding the best for " most " of the circuit...............

maybe buy a few to try out at snetterton track day.?

Phil
Old 22-Jun-2005, 16:16
MotoGP God

Well, Renthal don't really believe that Monster sprockets are as important as Gixxer sprockets etc. I ordered a 44 rear over a month ago and it wasn't going to be here until August.

Well that order is cancelled.
Old 22-Jun-2005, 16:44
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
I ordered a couple of sprockets from B & C on line just before Castle Combe and they arrived next day. they were a 40T and a 42T to go with the 41T and 43T I already hav, the 40T was to replace the one Chris Woods appears to have hijacked off me when I lent it him at Cadwell.
Can't trust these DD guys