Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Apr-2006, 13:21
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Heck how did that come up three times

I think the message that is trying to be put across is that as a track day, it is supposed to be as SAFE but fast enviroment, well as safe as it can be made, the golden rule should be that YOU are responsible for the rider in fronts safety, a little bit of forethought can save a lot of agro, if you want close passing in the middle of corners etc, get an ACU licence & go racing or do ACU test/practice days, there are plenty about.

Chris.
Old 28-Apr-2006, 22:11
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
i thought the whole idea of trackdays were for people to ride their road bikes/cars/tractors on a race track in a safe and controlled enviroment. im never sure why you need a driving licence and not your v5 ???

i've only done 4 trackdays myself but have spent some hard earned cash on tyrewarmers etc just to get value for money when at a trackday. i wouldnt call myself a racer by any means just a guy who likes to ride as fast and safe as he can that day as i dont want to bin my bike although i feel i ride faster and more dafter when on a local road. at my last day in silverstone last month i deliberately went in the intermiadete group as i thought there would be too many ACU guys using it as a pre season test session so thought it safer to step down a group.

most of my t'days have been with FE and i have no real compaints with their services offered just the amount of people in a group, last august there was over 80 people in the novice group, i was told to go up a group but there was no space in inters so i ended up in the fast group for the afternoon of my first t'day which was a eyeopener but a experience i was happy with and learnt from especially as i was quicker through the corners than most of the gsxr1000 boys there that day.

going back to weeksy point about what TDO to use for me is a choice of dates and prices. most of mine have to be sundays or bank holidays and within a sensible distance from home. i'd like to try a no-limits day but can never find a date to suit me and a mate, FE seem to have the market share with a trackday nearly everyday now through the summer, the cirucit owners are obviously happy with them or they wouldnt give them the circuits

as for the dsc days i'd love to do cadwell but its a 3 day trip for me and well over £100 in juice for the car alone let alone all the other expenses. if all dsc days were opened to members with non duke bikes you may get more people going as im sure theres more members like myself who'd like to do more but appreciate the 50% of the fuel costs a mate brings.

well i cant think of anything else to add
Old 28-Apr-2006, 22:16
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
Oi Deej, i need someone to split the juice with and van hire with for Cadwell.
Old 28-Apr-2006, 22:48
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
yeah but i still got the 150 miles each way to you and with what happened to my van at silverstone i doubt it'll make 1.5 miles without breaking down, if things change in the next few months then i'll definetly give you a shout, are you doing 1 or 2 days up there
Old 29-Apr-2006, 08:21
Big Twin

2 days mate. Van we can hire and split 50-50.
Old 02-May-2006, 20:45
Mille

Mood: just love my slipper clutch
ive been doing trackdays for about 4 years on suzuki gsxr 1000 aprilia rs250 no problems apart from 1 crash at cadwell no one else involved just me and the tyre wall i would love to do more track days on my 999r but for some reason people seem to think they can only go home happy if they can pass a ducati and they dont seem to care about their own safty let alone mine
Old 03-May-2006, 11:19
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Clint,

You might well have a point there, rarely get peeps carving up the inside going into or on a corner on me old '96 CBR6 road bike, different story on the 998, just as well I take the mirrors off or they'd get knocked off!!

Ray
Old 03-May-2006, 13:12
Montjuic

Quote:
Originally posted by chris.p
Quote:
Originally posted by razz

OTOH on the continent the attitude seems to be "after you, Claude". I know which I prefer! I've always put it down to the "social" side of days abroad - you all stay in the same hotel and drink together and the anti-social riders just don't seem to attend.

Sorry. must disagree, just got back from doing a track day at Oscherslaben in Germany, probably the worst organised track day I have ever seen there was total nutters in all four groups, club racers & National riders, Dark Dog Kwak 600 team to name but one. Even when one member of our group who was in group 1 complained that they had been clipped in a corner, the organiser was not bothered, just gave them there money back & said off you go
It was the first time I have felt intimidated even in group 3, & as an ex club racer I would not call my self slow, but even I bailed out of the last session (as it was a free for all ) when some local racer on a Duke as well, brushed my left leg with his as I peeled into a right hander, & I was close to the edge of the track.
Apart from that it was a fantasic day, many thanks to my brother Paul ( Bionicle) for organising it & letting me use his new track day bike (ex 996 race bike).

Chris.

Ah, perhaps I didn't make myself clear. When I said "on the continent", I meant trackdays organised by English companies at foreign tracks where most of the riders are also English. With respect to continental days with continental riders then I agree with you. The local mad-men turn up! I've done a very scary day at Spa...
Old 03-May-2006, 13:21
Big Twin

i just don't get it you know lads....

Local mad men ? what do you mean? they were quick ? Jesus you can't get much quicker than some of the UK riders.... you play with club racers and BSB class racers, they will be going quick.

I've had 1 time in god knows how many trackdays of a person overtaking me a little close in middle of corner.... that's 1 time in serveral thousand laps.

If you're getting people stuffing you every corner, maybe you're in the wrong group ? or the wrong game altogether ?

Track riding IMO is about allowing for closer overtaking etc by removing completely all the other factors to consider like traffic, walls and kerbs etc...

I honestly don't see where most of you are coming from....
Old 03-May-2006, 15:32
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
There's so much open to interpretation on this topic,

one persons "near miss" is anothers "close pass no problem"

One persons "circuit nutter" is anothers "quick rider"

One thing that isn't open to question is when contact is made.

Different riders react differently, the same pass on different riders can cause different reactions........."hmmm, quick rider" to "shite I need to pick the bike up and head for the gravel"

The crux is knowing how the person you are passing is going to react, i.e. are your actions gonna cause a problem for the person you are overtaking. Difficult, but not impossible and where you choose to pass and how close is a big factor IMHO,

Ray