Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 19-Jul-2004, 22:40
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Race Bike

In the interests of supporting my hypothetical costing exercise I have been trawling the internet for ducati race bikes or track bikes that could be raced. Apart from the 999RS04 on ebay!! unless you are wishing to donate

Looking for R's, RS's etc that have been raced, similar to the 748 that the Skidlids is selling but I'm looking for the 9** size engines.

This sounds a bit ****y and it's only a costing exercise so please bear with me.

So, if you know someone who has one can you let me know the spec and how much. Or, if you know websites where you can pick up racebikes from (packages with vans and gene's etc are of interest) please let me know as well.

Thanks for your patience.

TP
Old 19-Jul-2004, 22:49
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Simply buy Weeksy's!!!!
Old 19-Jul-2004, 22:52
500SD

Mood: head down
how much are you willing to part with????
Old 19-Jul-2004, 22:54
MotoGP God

I've seen Weeksy's price and know the spec so it's included in the exercise. But there is merit in Weeksy's arguments and being very slow I would need every advantage I could get = bhp.

I'm not ready to buy yet and Weeksy wants to sell now anyway ...

But hang on Tim, I was cruising through some old posts and saw a thread that you started about getting a track bike and were potentially interested in the very same things I've listed above - what did you end up doing?
Old 19-Jul-2004, 22:59
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally posted by nathanhu
how much are you willing to part with????

Thats an interesting question. I guess part of the exercise is to see what I can get for the money etc to see how much I would want to spend (sounds painful I know).

I guess it depends on the package (if a van is included with spares, WOW, gene, tyre warmers etc ...) but I wouldn't rule out £7k.

But if there was a package that was £10k that included an extra bike or was a just a bit different then I would look at it (being an enterprising sort of bloke when the sentiment takes me - I could sell one of the bikes or bits in order to make the deal work for me\fit my budget) - you get the idea.

Like I said above, please bear with me while I go through this exercise ... I need some hard numbers to have a realistic look at this otherwise the wife wil laugh me all the way to the doors at Tiffanies and spend all the money ....
Old 20-Jul-2004, 00:31
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Why don't you race yours?
Old 20-Jul-2004, 10:24
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix
Why don't you race yours?

Well that is an option. With the work Neil's done to it's supposed to make around 120bhp at the rear (give or take a couple) plus it has the lightened flywheel ...

But ... I would have thought that would have been the more expensive way to do things. I need a bike for commuting so I will need another bike anyway. I had considered turning mine into a race bike and buying a Multi for the road.

But then I would have to spend a fair bit of cash on mine I think. Slipper clutch (£500?); race bodywork, incl tank etc (£500?); spare wheels for WOW's and tyres (£500?), rearsets (£250?) plus whatever else you guys tell me I've missed. If mine is worth say £5500-£6000 then after I race it it's worth nowhere near as much and I've thrown a lot more money at it. If I was to buy a race bike that had all the trimmings (or as much as possible) then to my mind the purchase price of the bike is cheaper, you have the potential to get a lot more for your cash than I do currently with maybe picking up an RS or something that has already been raced and therefore not worth it's non-raced value (if you know what I mean). I hope you're following me here ...

Taking it through to it's logical conclusion ..

I could spend another say £2k on my bike getting it ready and buying spare wheels, gene, tyre warmers etc and then at the end of the racing the whole lot is worth drastically less, considering the road bike is worth roughly £5750 now.

Effectively I would have spent nearly £8k on the race package (realistically it would most likely go over) and still need to buy another bike ...

Or, if I keep mine and buy a race package what could I get for £8K? would it be a better bike than a MY 2000 996? I would have thought so. Therefore being worth more at the end of the racing (assuming it was purchased after already being raced) Or I could spend less depending on whats around etc ... for a 99* based race bike.

And this leaves my road bike alone and leaves it's value where it is. Does that make sense?

So, do you think I'm full of sh*te or what?
Old 20-Jul-2004, 10:30
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
Quote:
Originally posted by tp-996
[q
So, do you think I'm full of sh*te or what?

most definitely, what about sharing a race bike with someone?????
Old 20-Jul-2004, 10:41
MotoGP God

Thanks Dickie, bast&rd!

I've never thought of sharing a race bike but I bought a house with my brother once and that cost me dearly ...

Wouldn't you be wanting to race in the same classes? Hrmm ...

Individual setups of the bikes ... I can see lots of reasons why this wouldn't work, maybe I'm being a bit negative. Anyone have any experience of this? I could see how a TD bike would work but not really a racebike ..

You offering?

[Edited on 20-7-2004 by tp-996]
Old 20-Jul-2004, 10:47
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Costings

Bike like mine £2800 (could remove and sell 748SP engine)
955 Ex GSE engine, P8 ECU Harness 54mm twin injectors, airbox and 54mm Corse Exhaust £4000
Slipper clutch £500
Rearsets £150
Spare wheels and discs £300 for 3 spokes
Tyre Warmers and Geni £350

Then there is always

The Mag arm, Mag wheels, different offset yokes, Ohlins forks, Radial 4-pads etc, etc.

At the end of the season there are usually a few well sorted race bikes for sale, although some may need a engine refreash

CSC sold one of there 996RS's last winter for £12k, Les Liney has put one of his 996SPS's up for sale before at £8k ish

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit