Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 17-Apr-2011, 19:37
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Ghostie's Mallory

I should get Otei to write for me, but this is my rendition.

Well not being much of a liturgist, if that is the correct term. I promised I would write a review once I had something to sing about. I had been in the States for 3 weeks after Brands and only had 3 days before departure to sort the Brands gremlins, which I believe I had but the bike just sat in the garage untested.
I arrived back one week before Mallory and hoped to do Weds afternoon ACU, but work was too much so could not make it.

I arrived at Mallory Sat morn, first time I had seen the new surface as the Trannie travelled the tarmac to the pits. Lined up for untimed practice right at the back and was circulating on my own as the quick guys had long gone. I had a moment with a rider unknown to me at the time, at the slight left that leads to the hairpin. I was closing much quicker and had committed to go on his inside but he came right to the apex and I squeezed through on the rumble strip, he came and found me, but he was ok about it, sorry again Andy Turner.

I was happy with the gearing same ratio as Brands.
Timed Practice/qualifying came and I made sure I was around the Jolleyman and Kev Senna. During the session I was amazed how well Bradders was going and also Scott the Badger, could close them down but not easy to pass, well done you guys.

Flag out for end of session; I had achieved my first pole position on lap 3 of 9 with a 1:03.707 whilst Ron on lap 3 also posted a 1:03.764. But to put things in perspective the flying pieman Mr Appleby, puts a 1:00.386 in on lap 1, FFS, LOL. Ron Jolley had blown his engine and decided his day had to end, tough luck but it’s happened to me at Castle Coombe and Brands we all have bad luck from time to time. Hope it gets repaired at minimal cost Ron.

Well race 1 soon came and I decided to make the most of my pole position even though I was in slot six mixed in with the class A’s. I was holding the lead in class B at around lap 13 a couple of riders were down at Gerrards exit. A marshal was holding the red/yellow oil flag crossed with a yellow and a little confusion ensued. I wrongly thought the race had been stopped Kev Palmer came passed, the class A’s got going again, I was chasing Kev down he went over the line and I was about to do a move around the outside at Gerrards when the red flag did come out, bugger I gave it away, but Kev was the first to say to me he didn’t want a win like that. My cock up he read the situation correctly no hard feelings, well done Kev on your first winners pot.

So a second was had by moi. Alan Parkes (Sorted) was flying and grabbed a well deserved 3rd gaining the fastest lap also. Seems this DD lark is more suited to the more senior riders. Lol.

Race 2 was upon us with only a 45 min rest after race 1. I can’t remember if it was the first start or the second start but Steve Mason dropped the clutch and the bike went vertical, almost firing him off the back. But he went on to win class A. Race 2 was stopped after a couple of laps as Matt Lawson and Neil Appleby went down at the same place in separate and unrelated offs, Matt suffering a broken collarbone, GWS Matt, seen the x-ray pics you don’t need to be a surgeon to say that’s broken.

The restart was to be over 15 laps, with the demise of Neil and Matt, myself and Paul Baleta on my left had a clear circuit in front of us. I went balls out from the start trying to hang on to the class A bikes, Paul Baleta hit the large pebbles at the bus stop exit sending him wide and maybe damaging something, as he went out on lap 1. I kept hearing bikes behind as I braked for the hairpin but no idea if it was an A or a B bike. I felt sure the bike was slowing, but must have been paranoia setting in. For once in my races the back markers worked to my advantage. I just squeezed through knowing if anyone was close to me they would be held up for a yard or two.

The last lap flag came out and I’m talking in my helmet don’t f***kup. I was expecting someone to come by and steal my thunder at the last corner as I hadn’t a clue how close the next guy was to me. So my first win and to say I’m chuffed is an understatement I know it’s not Motogp, but those pots are not given away, they have to be earned.

So Mallory for me was a day to savour with a pole position, a second place and a race win, with a fastest lap on lap 2 with a 1:02.819. Close but no cigar, to Sam West’s lap record.
Thanks to all who help me out, my brother Rod and his son Dean, also to Jan my partner who doesn’t complain……..much, about dossing in a trannie van and almost getting a golden shower from a pint pot of p155 at Cadwell.

Most of all thanks to all the DD paddock, it really is a nice place to be. Almost forgot I won a prize in the raffle courtesy of Angry Challis pulling my number. I did say number, just re-read.

Last edited by Ghost : 17-Apr-2011 at 19:55.
Old 17-Apr-2011, 20:04
Big Twin

One word,

Respect.
Old 17-Apr-2011, 20:36
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wot Homer said.

Superb stuff Phil. Can't believe I didn't run into you but I guess snapping away meant less time to seek out peeps in the paddock. Was fantastic to see you win your well overdue first race though.

Report was good too. My future fee for "ghost" writing any others will be lessons on how to be that fast at your age!
Old 17-Apr-2011, 20:45
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otei
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wot Homer said.

Superb stuff Phil. Can't believe I didn't run into you but I guess snapping away meant less time to seek out peeps in the paddock. Was fantastic to see you win your well overdue first race though.

Report was good too. My future fee for "ghost" writing any others will be lessons on how to be that fast at your age!

I'm only 27 just had a hard life.
Old 17-Apr-2011, 20:58
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse SE, Evoluzione 2 ....

Mood: Dementor hunted by Foggy :)
Well done Phil, was great to be spectating

Hants - Meet Popham Airfield every 2nd Sunday of the Month @ 1pm

Ducati Snells of Alton : >>
848 Corse SE Evoluzione 2 : >>
Dementor Site :>>
Sponsor of DD Riders
Old 17-Apr-2011, 21:33
Mille

Great riding Phil, try as I may I couldnt catch you in race 2. You really own that track! Great work!
Old 17-Apr-2011, 22:15
DSC Club Member
500SD
Bikes: Badger DD A #50, Multistrada 1200s, Aprilia Tuono 1100rr

Mood: More chilled than a polar bear's d**k
Respect, nuff said.

Top step for a top geezer, well done!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog.
Scott #50
Old 17-Apr-2011, 22:25
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955SP
Great riding Phil, try as I may I couldnt catch you in race 2. You really own that track! Great work!

I kept hearing a squeal of brakes at the hairpin behind me and I thought thats Hugh with his Monobloc. Also knowing how that thing of yours goes I was waiting for an attempt. Good championship in the making I hope to be a good part of it.
Old 18-Apr-2011, 07:06
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
I kept hearing a squeal of brakes at the hairpin behind me and I thought thats Hugh with his Monobloc. Also knowing how that thing of yours goes I was waiting for an attempt. Good championship in the making I hope to be a good part of it.

I must say that I bought a cracking bike from Harriet, the engine is really great and even though I mucked around with the exhaust it still measured a healthy 52.2 bhp on the Mallory Dyno. Someone mentioned to me that you got a similar result Phil, that true?
Old 18-Apr-2011, 07:14
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
Good championship in the making I hope to be a good part of it.
I'm trying to look on the bright side.. And if everyone drops their worst results so far then I am still joint championship leader with you and Kev... Just need to ride some luck for the rest of the year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955SP
I must say that I bought a cracking bike from Harriet, the engine is really great and even though I mucked around with the exhaust it still measured a healthy 52.2 bhp on the Mallory Dyno. Someone mentioned to me that you got a similar result Phil, that true?
Remind me again why I convinced you to buy that bike?

Does that mean they have learnt how to use the dyno now?