Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 20-Aug-2006, 13:35
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Domski's Donington Park race report (a week late!)

Pasted from me web$hite...

I extended my lead in the DesmoDue series at Donington Park last Sunday. I have now achieved eight consecutive 1st or 2nd place finishes and surely now have one hand on the Championship crown - Hopefully!!

Qualifying at the British Grand Prix circuit was a wet event but my good form ensured my fifth front row start in succession. Pole Position was won by Glenn Graham on his Direct Works Ducati, with Pete Yates achieving his best ever qualifying result in second place. I was in third place with Oulton Park runner-up Tim Howard on the Cornerspeed Ducati completing the front row in forth.

The weather remained overcast and showery. However, once the event was underway and machines were continuously circulating, the racing line remained dry. This proved a huge relief to all the riders, as Donington Park is notoriously slippery in wet conditions.

My growing reputation for quick starts was further reinforced as I led into the first turn for the seventh occasion this season. Glenn followed closely in second spot, shadowed by Antony Espindola who had come through from row three.

Glenn and I steadily pulled away from the chasing pack, and had soon built up a six second advantage over the battle for 3rd place which was now between Tim and my teammate, Kyle Hinton, who was riding at Donington Park for the first time in almost 5 years.

Glenn eventually passed me for the lead and we started to lap the backmarkers. I settled in behind the new race leader and was comfortable running the pace. I planned a passing manoeuvre for the final lap as I had more speed down the back straight and felt I could pass Glenn into the chicane (that's what I thought anyway!). Everything was going to plan as the laps counted down, however, Glenn made a mistake at the start of the final lap, which forced me to take the lead - there goes my plan!

As we approached the final chicane, I defended the inside line but Glenn had other ideas and bravely rode the outside line which left me unable to defend my position. As a result Glenn was triumphant for the first time this year, with little old me taking the runner-up stop. Kyle made it another double podium for the Louigi Moto/OD2 Racing squad as he cruised home in third place following an earlier mistake by Tim.

I now lead the series by 86 points from Ian Leah (or 58 from Andy Johnson should he make a comeback) with just 140 points remaining.

I need two 5th places at Snetterton to secure my first motorcycle racing championship. I think I could be a tad nervous. Fingers crossed!!

Not pasted from my web$hite...

Well done to Otei for storming through to 6th place (from 22nd on the grid!!). Did I ever mention how good I think KRC is, and I think you should seriously re-think doing DD. You're not ready yet *cough*