Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Sep-2006, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconic944ss
Finally got around to taking some pics today - I'd almost forgotten how good the old trooper feels, a bit more mid-range poke now too from the spaghetti headers as well I think.

Other pic is of the fuel filter mod (prompted by Derek) that moves the filter outside of the fuel tank - it seems ok zip-tied where it is...

Regards - Frank
DSC Webteam
So I found this thread referenced on Ducati.ms, and thought I'd come along and join.

This looks like my kind of mod! I can't really remember what it looks like inside my tank, though. Frank, would you be so kind as to tell me exactly how you "patched up" the lines inside the tank so that you can house the filter externally?

number9
--------
1995 Ducati 900SS/CR: ZeroGravity windshield, Scorpion slip-ons, Napoleon bar-end mirrors, Hein Gericke luggage...
Old 22-Sep-2006, 18:11
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Hi Number 9 and welcome to the board, I'll have a Jim Beam and coke which seems appropriate

Tank mod was easy to tell the truth, I simply replaced the filter within the tank for a piece of hose and clamped it at both ends.

Then, I replaced and lengthened the feed hose to the carbs from the tank and inserted the filter, clamping that as well.

Good luck - Frank
Old 22-Sep-2006, 19:14

Thanks mate... I'm actually an Aussie by birth and have spent a lot of time in London, so it only seems appropriate that I'm here.

So just to clarify something: inside the tank itself there's the filter, and it has short hoses on both ends. And those hoses connect to the ports on the underside of the tank? Or is it "hard-wired" in there, without a hose?

Oh, and what kind of hose did you need -- just a couple feet of EFI hose?

Last edited by number9 : 22-Sep-2006 at 19:16.
Old 22-Sep-2006, 22:04
WSB Hero

I wish I'd taken some photo's myself but my skill just aint up to the mark really.

The post that started it all on Ducati.ms

http://www.ducati.ms/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=supersport&Number=1960 21&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

in the last pic shows the clamps at the rear that hold the fuel pump in place.

A short piece of hose comes from the front of the pump, into the filter and then the filter connects to the outlet of the tank and the fuel tap with a 2nd short hose.

At the top of this post here is a pic of the METAL bodied filter I've zip-tied to my breather hose - I'll check but I think the hose is just 6mm petrol.

I'll try and get the number for the metal bodied filter as well as the one inside my tank as OEM is plastic.

Worthwhile mod in my book - especially with the POR liner overhaul as well.

Maybe I should start my own tank refurbish centre

Cheers - Frank
Old 22-Sep-2006, 22:22

Doesn't sound like a bad idea champ

Would you be able to use your Microsoft Paint skills with this image:

http://www.ducati.ms/pp/data/3030/59...5-med.JPG?9539

To give me an idea on where the filter & pump all sit? I can't even get the filter out! Also, I have no idea how that guy actually took photos of the inside of his tank
Old 22-Sep-2006, 23:22
WSB Hero

Thumbs up

I think we can manage a little better than that.....

(17) is the rubber sleeve that the fuel pump (16) fit inside of and then presses into the four 'clips' visible in the photos you saw previously.

19 & 37 are the small hoses either side of the filter (20) that all get replaced with a longer section of hose, if moving the filter outside.

The diagram is a little confusing as most parts around group 30 are OUTSIDE the tank while the other stuff is INSIDE.

Getting things out can be hard if the hose is perished - I'd disconnect the hose clips and get the small hoses out if possible.
Then, I found that the four clamps had bonded to the rubber filter housing and needed prising back with long nosed pliers before the pump wanted to come out.

BEWARE - the pump electric connections are phased, so mark one pair up correctly if pulling EVERYTHING to pieces!

Frank

Last edited by Iconic944ss : 22-Sep-2006 at 23:28.
Old 25-Sep-2006, 20:55
Bevel Head

Nice bike shame about the fence!

Agree with everyone that is a lovely bike!
Old 25-Sep-2006, 21:47
WSB Hero

Many thanks...

Horrible fence or Shiney Ducati = No Contest!!! - LOL.

Still got plans for more Mods over winter as well

Frank
Old 25-May-2007, 22:51

Frank, from the look of my research two sizes of petrol lines are used: 5/16" (7mm?) within the internal tank itself, and 1/4" (6mm?) from the tank externally to the carbs. Doesn't that mean, once you move it, that the filter is expecting a 5/16" hose to connect to it but you're now using a 1/4" hose? Did you use a reducer, or are the lines too similar for it to matter?
Old 26-May-2007, 00:05
WSB Hero

Blimey!

Good detail sire - to be honest I cant remember last month nevermind last year.

I think the reason around the pipe change is that I'm using a non-standard metal filter outside the tank instead of the plastic filter than normally resides inside the tank.

I've had no problems at all with the filter mod - the hardest part for me was trying to work out where to clip/retain the metal filter to, fortunately on my bike the breather hose quickly became an obvious choice.

If going into the tank to renew the filter or do other work I'd recommend moving the filter outside if it can be mounted in a stable way - likewise the POR lining looks the same as when I finished the overhaul.

Cheers - Frank