Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Apr-2004, 21:01
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Marchesini - Update to first post

Well...its not really Marchesini's fault.

Its mine for my Ducati inexperience and innocence I guess

Middle of last year I bought a Front Marchesini for my 93 900ss - It was advertised as being for the 93 to 98 models and in good condition. I paid quite a bit for it and it did arrive in very good nick. I checked it over briefly and noted that the bearings were nice and smooth but the outer seal was missing as was the speedo drive ring.

Now that I am finally getting down to getting a new pair of tyres and have sourced a pair of discs. I thought I'd better really check the condition of the bearings properly to see if they needed changing.

So...track stands in and .... blow me cant get the wheel spindle out for starters (I remember struggling last time) - so a trip to the local auto store and a set of 1/2" sockets with Allen heads are bought even though I only need a 14mm for the spindle!

Sorted...works a treat (Halfords sell individual sockets I seem to remember).

However, offer the shiney new wheel up and - ITS NOWHERE NEAR FITTING !!!!

Surprise, surprise - the wheel has been built up to accept a 20mm spindle not the 900ss 17mm (I think it is anyway, using my cheapy vernier) spindle thats on my bike

So, even though I was probably going to change the bearings, I now have to renew all the wheel internals to just make it fit my bike - this makes me think....

Are all Ducati Marchesini (of the same rim size) made basically the same and only made to fit different bikes by the fitting of different internals/bearings?

If this is the case I think I could of saved quite a bit of money as there are many more 7** and 9** Mag wheels out there than are advertised for the older bikes.

Many thanks to JHP for sorting me out once again.

Lesson learned I think.

Hee Hee - anyway roll on Cadwell

=====================================

Update

Finally got all the internal parts I needed to complete the rebuild and guess what ????

THEY DIDNT FIT CORRECTLY!

The only bits that do (hopefully) fit correctly are the bearings.
The inner spacer tube looks like an amature had fabricated it in alloy (OK for a D.I.Y.er but I certainly hope Marchesini didnt make it or they will have gone even further down in my estimation).

The OEM part supplied to me is the same lenght but the washers/discs that mesh into a support ring inside the wheel were too wide and not quite in same horizontal placement (eg - Marchesini didnt cast it exactly the same as Brembo for example).

The difference was only about 1mm across the diameter. I was going to get it machined but then remembered my handly 'Dremmel' drill I bought and set to work.

(OK ... I can imagine you all going 'Ohhhh Nooooooo' - stop it please...this is a happy ending)

By only taking tiny bits off at a time I managed to get to an almost interference fit, so was quite chuffed.

Next, light lube - bearings chilled overnight in freezer. Bearings and spacer tube installed a treat.

*** Speedo drive ring - Guess What !!!!

DIDNT FIT !!!

Had to machine the locating lugs and a little off the outer ring to make it drop into place.

*** Speedo drive seal - Guess What !!!!

DIDNT FIT !!!

Again had to machine some of the outer edge away.

Finally got everything to fit nicely around 1am this morning and NO!!! I wasnt at work before anyone mentions

I think I'll put a piccy at the bottom when I get chance as I'm quite proud of my DIY accomplishment. Shouldn't have to but its good to overcome an obstacle.

In hind sight (!!!) since the 20mm bearings that were installed already seemed OK it might well have been easier to have a 20mm version of my Axle maufacturered by a local engineering company.

We live and learn

[Edited on 23-4-2004 by Iconic944ss]
Old 05-Apr-2004, 23:07
WSB Hero

Oh Dear !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just raked through my hard drive and found the copy of the original German advert for the wheel (embaressed blush coming on here).

The poor guy did try to say it was a 20mm spindle in his own way.....the translation reads:

"Knock out 20mm diameter"

I should of sussed it out...oh dear !!!

I'll get my coat + bearings + seals + tubing
Old 05-Apr-2004, 23:10
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
SS's have had 3 different axle sizes over their lifetime. The early ones came with 17mm, then 20mm and finally the hollow 25mm one from the SBK. So even if you had bought a 9*6 wheel you'd have had to change bearings and stuff.

To save you any hassle I could take it off your hands for, say, £50...? Only as a favour to you of course.
Old 05-Apr-2004, 23:18
WSB Hero

Done Sir !!!!

The only condition is that I bring it over to you and of course, the buyer pays ALL transport fees

Dont worry my friend, its a good wheel and I'm sure I'll get good use out of it !

Frank
Old 06-Apr-2004, 08:01
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
Frank,

You say you only bought a front.....

Is there any danger in running an odd set of wheels?

I know we all try to run matching tyres and keep things in synch, but what effect would a standard Ducati rear and a Marchesini front have on the bike's handling, if any?

Cheers
Phill
Old 06-Apr-2004, 14:07
WSB Hero

Hmmmm, I didnt really think about that Phil....

I assumed that as long as the front is going to a lighter wheel and appropriate suspension mods are made then, I'd be better off????

As the rear is fixed and (hopefully) does not turn from side to side I dont think the same gains would be made. However I understand the point and can see some potential for acceleration etc....

needless to say I have my eyes on a lightweight back wheel already but this would mean scrapping the track school I'd hoped to go on

Decisions, decisions.....

Frank
Old 06-Apr-2004, 15:19
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
Go on the track school Frank, go on the track school. That rear Marchesini is mine....!
Old 07-Apr-2004, 07:11
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
Good thoughts Frank.

I've been thinking about lighter wheels for my 750ss - but then again I am always thinking about all sorts of mods. However, most of the things I have purchased so far - cans, hugger, Ventura rack - I'm hoping will be easily switched to a 900 or 1000ss when I buy one maybe next summer! Wheels wouldn't be quite the same switch as they're different sizes (as you've found out just from different 900s years).

What track school are you thinking of? I was also pondering whether to do one this year. California Superbike School has eben recommended in a few quarters. Do you have different thoughts?

Phill
Old 07-Apr-2004, 07:41
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Frank,

Is it a mag or ally wheel? I didn't think the ally wheel was much lighter than the 3 spoke. Whatever you have, it'd be interesteing to confirm the actual weight savings.

Thanks

Rob
Old 07-Apr-2004, 08:17
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Go on the track school Frank. It'll make far more difference to your riding than the marginal benefits of a rear Marchesini.

And if you ever get a different bike you won't have to flog you track experience on ebay 'cos you can take it with you