Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Jun-2004, 13:52

900SS \'Red Line\'?

I have a recently aquired 2001 900SSie. Can anyone clarify what the max rev limit is for this bike assuming cam belts etc are in good order. The handbook says 7500 on one page but on a diagram on a different page shows a line through 9000.

I know that revs are not necesarily the name of the game with this particular engine but equally don't want to be wasting that last bit of 'pull' in each gear by short shifting unnecesarily all the time.

Cheers

Andy
Old 28-Jun-2004, 14:17
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
My rev limiter comes in at 9250 rpm.
But I find 8500 is about the best point to change in full on mode!
Old 29-Jun-2004, 17:28

Thanks for your reply Steve. That gives me a bit more than I've been using up to now.

Though I have had no trouble whatever with either my previous 620 or the current 900, I am new to Ducatis (though now sold on them for life!) and am aware of their reputation among some folk as being a bit fragile if pushed too hard.

Guess all will be fine given proper and timely servicing tho'
Old 29-Jun-2004, 17:34
Big Twin

These engines are fine just so long as they are properly looked after and nothing too silly is done tunning wise.
happy to help
Old 29-Jun-2004, 22:33
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
I'm on my second 900 and have always revved the nuts off 'em when necessary

I spoke to Neil at Sigma about this t'other day, as he does flywheel lightening. When combined with lighter pistons/rods, this means a drastic loss in moving mass, making it much safer to rev higher.

Unfortunately it also means the loss of the deep duke throb that's all the character in a 2v, so I'm not too sure about getting it done. Probably easier to buy a weekend rice rocket...

Cheers,

Ali
Old 29-Jun-2004, 22:51
500SD

Mood: Blooo Duke gets red heads
Hi M8
Ive tried to get the best from the engine, before and after various external and internal mods
I find the desmo "coughs" at between 8,500 and 9,000 and I always think that Im not gaining power after abaout 8,250
Trackdays I do pull 9,000 now and again but best to shift up at 8,000

Ive changed the front sprocket to 14 tooth from 15, hi comp pistons and a few other mods, but recommend changing at 8 1/2 thousand
try it and see if it helps, 9 thou seems ott to me
btw mines a 900ssie
rgds
mort
Old 29-Jun-2004, 23:21
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Smiley and waiting for the sunshine
I know that mines a 750s but mines around 9000...that's when he starts complaining...
as mort says about 8250-8500 is about the max that I would tend to take him before changing...
Old 30-Jun-2004, 06:19

Mood: ..runnin on fumes....
Hi

I've always taken them (900's x 3) to 9000 if they were up for it at the time - all 3 have been fairly stock engine wise but they're deffo up for it - over revving would be a different story but up to the red line they've been fine... no.. wait.. that's not right - they've been feckin marvellous

.. if you could stick it on a dyno and see the torque curve that would be your change point ..the way to get the best from these is to ride the torque lol... when it tops out.. change up ... I'd say it was probably more shoddy maintenance than a glass jaw as far as the engine rumours are concerned - if you treat em right they're bulletproof ..and Mr ducati says where the red line goes.. good enuff for me hehehe

Cheers

Dano

(slight clarification - mine's a '91 and the red line is marked at 9000 as were the others... from rereading your original post I got the impression that it's not marked ? - my handbook gives max power output at 7000 rpm, and max revs as 9000)

[Edited on 30-6-2004 by DanShapotsky]
Old 30-Jun-2004, 10:30
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
Quote:
Originally posted by ali

I spoke to Neil at Sigma about this t'other day, as he does flywheel lightening. When combined with lighter pistons/rods, this means a drastic loss in moving mass, making it much safer to rev higher.

Unfortunately it also means the loss of the deep duke throb that's all the character in a 2v, so I'm not too sure about getting it done. Probably easier to buy a weekend rice rocket...

Cheers,

Ali

Fitting a lightweight FBF flywheel was the second best thing I did for my SL (After changing the rear sprocket to a 41t). It made the bike much more rideable and fun. It still has that "lumpy" V-twin feeling but it just gets everywhere in its rev range more quickly.
Old 30-Jun-2004, 10:40
Big Twin

the engines in the injected bikes have quite a few changes including things like a lighter crank etc, so they already spin up a bit quicker than earlier ones - bit less bottom end though.