Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Sep-2005, 19:59
Ducati Corse

I think that although the 916 is "Iconic",it also brought Ducati into the mainstream,so everybody wanted one either because of the name,kudos or whatever.The shape has now been going for 15 years and i think people are bored with how common it is(in all it's variances) and are therefore looking for the same performance in a less common form.I.E the 888's.You then get back to the original format of rarity,desireabilty and brutal(not softened) v-twin power.I have had an 851,an 888,an SP4,then a hiccough with the 748/853 and now the SP5,the 888's are just everything that Ducati means to me(including the little "fire"!!).
Old 27-Sep-2005, 21:07
Big Twin

Mood: This is a carbon free zone!
This is true,I was so close to selling mine after not riding for a while with my neck problem and one thing and another.But soon as I rode it again I knew I would regret it if it went.
Old 27-Sep-2005, 21:17
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Ner Ner..told you so mate...:P

Nat
Old 27-Sep-2005, 21:25
Big Twin

Mood: This is a carbon free zone!
Guilty as charged
Old 27-Sep-2005, 21:30
Mille

I have to admit as much as I think the 9** series bikes are drop dead gorgeous they are quite common in all honesty . I have yet to see another 851/888 since getting mine so I,m looking forward to the DOCGB 851/888 run out and hopefully I,ll see some of you guys at Cadwell on the 9th .

Paul
Old 27-Sep-2005, 21:39
GTL

Mood: I want to come home ::(:but then
Quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
I think that although the 916 is "Iconic",it also brought Ducati into the mainstream,so everybody wanted one either because of the name,kudos or whatever.The shape has now been going for 15 years and i think people are bored with how common it is(in all it's variances) and are therefore looking for the same performance in a less common form.I.E the 888's.You then get back to the original format of rarity,desireabilty and brutal(not softened) v-twin power.I have had an 851,an 888,an SP4,then a hiccough with the 748/853 and now the SP5,the 888's are just everything that Ducati means to me(including the little "fire"!!).

I have to ever so slightly disagree. I think the 851 put Ducati Back on the map. They kind of lost it for a couple of years. The success of the 851/888 series gave Ducati the spring board to release the 916. When it was released it, as the 916 later was, far beyond it's years. The Japs are only just now catching up with the 916
Old 27-Sep-2005, 21:42
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Agree with all of the above. I've had my 851 for 9 years ( And my Katana for about 13 years).

I have ridden a 916 but felt like I was hanging over the front wheel ( I'm 6ft ) whereas on the 851 I feel as if I'm '' in '' the bike and feel more involved.

As to values, they seem to have bottomed out now at £2 -£2.5 k. I just wish I had a spare five or six grand to buy an SP as well.

Phil
Old 27-Sep-2005, 22:50
Mille

Mood: He's not happy {:o( He's back at sea!
Woooah spookie, Phil you got a Katana too? Me also.
GSX 1000 SZ, the 32mm Mikuni slide carb version from 1982 but on a Y plate. I've had mine since Jan 1985.
Going in for a refurb' this winter, on the road next spring.

At the time t'other arf said she wanted kids, we agreed if she got pregnant I could get a 1000cc bike. Jess' was born July that year on Live Aid day.

Ains.
Old 27-Sep-2005, 23:07
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Class!

Mine's an 82 1000 too. Mikuni smoothbores and yoshi pipe. On the dyno shows 100bhp at rear wheel. She's pretty scruffy as was daily transport at one time and has sat at the back of garage for about 4 years now.

Do you want to hear another spookie?

My wife wanted another baby ( 3rd ) and I said '' Not unless I can have an 851. I fell over when she said O.K. and dragged her off to the bedroom. Three minutes later I was on the 'phone to my mate who was going through an expensive divorce and just happened to be selling an 851 and ten minutes after that was writing him a cheque. Heaven!

Just one question - Do you have arms like a gibbon and a bad back from the solid rear end on the kat? I know I have
Old 27-Sep-2005, 23:34
Mille

Mood: He's not happy {:o( He's back at sea!
Wooooooo! A bit parallel that or what?

Just one question - Do you have arms like a gibbon and a bad back from the solid rear end on the kat? I know I have.

Definately race horse ride position in it... The back end was sorted with a braced Metmachex swingarm and Koni shox with tri-springs, but even at 6' 1 it was a bit of a reach.

Got a grip like a Russian shotputter from holding those blo*dy carbs open 70 miles a day for 3 years then 6 months Wigan to Biggin Hill through London each week and back as well.

Pipe on mine is the Black Harris 4:1 with race baffle. LOUD. Got the original zorst and swingarm stuck up in the garage rafters.

Ains.