Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Jan-2009, 23:06
Mille

Mood: fair to middling
Angry will 748/9xx bars fit?

My bike blew over in the bloody wind and my lovely Kamna alloy bar took the full brunt of the fall. I've already straightened it once and am loath to do it again in case it gets too weak.

So...that's the question - will a pair of bars from a 748 etc fit a carb'd SS if mounted right at the top of the fork tubes? Anyone tried? Are the fork tubes even the same diameter?? I like the downward slope of the Kamnas and don't want to go back to standard high SS bars, even though I can probably pick up a pair quite cheaply.

Cheers ears.
Pete
Old 17-Jan-2009, 23:38
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
748/916 fork tubes are 53mm, whereas all SS forks are 50mm, but all bars are the same at 22mm!

They're also very cheap if you hunt around, I use this guy:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=390024572112

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 18-Jan-2009, 10:45
Mille

Or you could buy a length of bar and chop it up and have replacements available in the paddock!

Come to think of it, I think ID has a length of bar ........
Old 18-Jan-2009, 11:33
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Not sure which SS it is you have as the late injection SS modes came with two differernt types of clip-on over the years they were produced, in both cases mounted above the top yoke. If its a Carb'd SS with the old steel bars that fit well below the bottom yoke then I certainly wouldn't go back to those.
All are 50mm diameter which is common to alot of bikes from R1 to ZXR400s so there should be a fair bit of choice.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 18-Jan-2009, 13:27
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Suzuki GSXR also use 50mm clip-ons, which are a cheap source as there are plenty about.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 18-Jan-2009, 15:59
Big Twin

I fit 996 clamps on my DD bike. I got a friend to make a pair of collars up with an internal diameter of 50mm and 53mm external diameter. Theres a slot in the collar to allow it to compress as you tighten the clamps bolts. I know of one dd bike that had the same clamps fitted without any machined collars, they got 2 strips of 1.5mm aluminium and basically just bent it round the forks before fitting the clamps. They didnt have any problems all last year. I prefer my way though.
Old 23-Jan-2009, 21:40
Mille

Mood: fair to middling
Thanks for the replies fellas. I've been considering using the larger size brackets with some sort of collar. I like the fact that the tube can be replaced on its own. My bike is the carb'd version. Saw some original steel bars on ebay but couldn't bring myself to go back to that style. I was never happy with the angle.
Old 23-Jan-2009, 22:05
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Bad luck mate, don't worry though as ebay has loads on it. Just get them to email you a search for "50mm clip on" and some'll turn up soon enough. I bought 3-4 alloy pairs over the years, all for less than £50, even a pair of Harris GPs.

If you dont fancy that why not bend the bar back and then slip a piece of solid rod up the middle to add some strength? Not sure what the ID of your bar is but sure someone can help.

Ali