Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Jul-2011, 08:58
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
M696 Renthal Bar Conversion.

Having converted Cathy's M696 from standard bars to renthal's I thought I would put the information up for those that would also like to do it.

Why do it??,
It makes the bike more comfortable to ride in town and just an overall more comfortable ride all round, gives around 20mm higher and 10 15mm closer to the rider.

There are two way's to do it.
Ducati parts, new bars, and risers, not cheap.
Renthal bars, bar ends and Multistrada 620 throttle cable, a much cheaper option

Renthal bars code 754-01-SI.
Renthal bar end wheights black aluminium Code E193
Multistrada Throttle cable, Code 65610631A

You will need a drill and a good set of drill bits to drill the bars for the equipment locating pegs.

Make a note of where the controls sit on the bars, a photograph is is best for when you have to drill for the equipment locating pegs, the Renthal bars are made of pretty hard steel.

Once I had drilled the bars for all the locating pegs I clamped the bars into the riser clamps using the correct torque settings.

The throttle cable needs to be routed slightly differently to standard as it is slightly longer than needed, it just needs dropping down to the left of the righthand fork leg, but then takes up the same route as the original. You can see it's new positioning in one of the pictures.

One of the electrical leads from the right hand bar needs taking out of its mount on the right hand side of the frame and repositioned a bit higher in the frame so it does not pull to tight when the bars are turned lock to lock.

The choke cable needs to be altered by winding out the adjuster at the throttle body end of the cable so as to lengthen it and also the inner cable needs to be moved through the clamp so as to lengthen it as well.

You will also need to adjust the lock stops so as the bars do not hit the tank, this makes for a smaller turning circle when pushing the bike around, but is fine when out riding on the road.

Cathy did a 50 mile round trip at the weekend with the new bars on and found it a more upright, comfortable and a more relaxed riding position.

Many thanks to Terry at ItaliaMoto in lincoln http://www.italiamotoltd.co.uk/ for the parts and allowing us to take pics of one of there M696's as I had forgotten to do the before pics

I have added a few pics below of before and after the conversion.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Full lock before_1.JPG (84.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Full lock after.JPG (101.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Head shot before_1.JPG (101.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Head shot after.JPG (113.9 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by chris.p : 05-Jul-2011 at 20:05.
Old 05-Jul-2011, 09:00
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse

And a few more pics, I will do a few more showing the cable positions etc and post them up later.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Riders view before_1.JPG (88.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Riders eye after.JPG (86.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Shot with old bars.JPG (99.7 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by chris.p : 05-Jul-2011 at 20:07.
Old 05-Jul-2011, 20:05
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse

Three pics of the routing of the throttle cable, right hand switch gear cable & connector and finaly the choke cable at the injector end.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1810_1.JPG (77.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1813_1.JPG (79.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1806_1.JPG (39.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 22-Jul-2011, 00:01
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Fitted the same bars as on my 750 Monster

Where as my M1100 and my 800 S2R both came with the Alloy Fat-bar versions as standard., all of which are better than the chromed steel ones fitted to some bikes as standard

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook