Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Apr-2005, 00:05
500SD

Mood: PENSO POSITIVO....SEMPRE!!
pilot power for trackday..

..on my 05 999 ... are these tyres Ok for track days?
They are great on the road (and still with chicken strips.. but this is not tyre fault..) ...just worry about temperature after three, four laps and sudden - I do not know why I am in the gravel -
I am a rookie (at least in UK..) and surely not able to push them at the limit, but determined to see what the bike ( and the pilot) can do on a track..
Any suggestions from more experienced UK riders and track users?
Thanks
Old 21-Apr-2005, 02:32
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
I don’t think you will have any trouble with them on your first outting
get out there and have a great day
Old 21-Apr-2005, 20:53
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Just give them plenty of time to warm up completely. especially on the side that gets used the least. I plus a few others that I know have all come a cropper on these tyres, even a well known WSB champion.
Old 22-Apr-2005, 13:05
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
They are a great tyre for road/ light/moderate trackday use, I used to ride to Croft on my old SP2, do a track day then ride home. Managed to get them sliding once when they were really warm but only after a slightly longer than normal session. Take first 2 or 3 laps steady as they wil be cold but they aren't as bad as the older design Michelins. Even with a 999 having more power than the SP2 I don't think you'll cook them in 3/4 laps. . you could also go for the new Michelins which are meant to be even better for track days but according to my mate who works for Michelin the Pilot Power is the better option if you are going to use the same tyre on road and possibly in the wet on road. if you are fitting a tyre just for a trackday then go for the Power race as it will have more grip. I've just orderd a pair of Pilot Powers.
Old 22-Apr-2005, 21:48
500SD

thanks guys.. let's see if I can get the most out of these tyres..
Old 30-May-2005, 03:24
500SD

Well after two track day at Brands indy, the results is great.
The tyres inspire confidence, and I was able to grind my knee sliders (only on the right side..Druids and Clearways - see avatar) with not too much efforts.
On the road, and especially on the wet, they are great. In my other Ducatis in Italy I used Supercorsa, and while (as other people was saying..I didn't try them on the track..) great on the track they were a total nightmare as soon two drop of rain were on the ground. Well in Italy rainy days are not so often as here and it was not a big issue.
I am really happy with the pilot power.
Now the point is the original dilemma. How long they will last before they cooked off and let you go on the track?? You guys used to track days... Should I try the power race , keep the pilot power for also road use or the faithful supercorsa? scheduling Silverstone the 7th of June.. and probably I will have to change it before Donigton, Cadwell, Brands over 26/27/28 and Brands again 4 July..