Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 23-Jan-2005, 21:44
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

DomskiDue\'s Race Diary

What a year it's been already...

I had my heart set on riding a CBR600 Steelie with Derby Phoenix this year. It was all coming together too. AJ Racing was sorting my engine, I was mad buying bits off Ebay (that I didn't really need), the suspension was all ready to be re-fettled, I had my race licence and DP membership organised. I was ready with a capital 'R'... Then, Weeksy (you can blame he) pointed out that Fil2 was going to race a 600SS with DSC. "Eh? What? There is a 600 Ducati series going on?" I was clearly startled!! "Why have you waited until now to tell me this?". Weeksy was (and probably still is) against me doing it, but as soon as I read about it, I just HAD to get involved.

Back in 1997, before I started a short racing career (more on that later), I was the very proud owner of a '94 900SS, and it was a stonking bike. I could regularly break the lap record from my dad's house to work. That was until someone pulled out on me, whilst on a 'hot one', and that was the end of the 900SS - and my road riding for a couple of years!

Sooo, back to the point... My early love for the SS range made me very excited about the new Desmo Due series. Thing was, I had just spent over a grand on my CBR engine and the whole bike was gunna be one of the best in the Steelie series. Talk about dilema!!

This did my head in for over a week, as I REALLY wanted to do the Desmo Due (but didn't have a bike), but I had a CBR which owed me way more than it was worth (but had lost interest in that series)... What to do??

I spoke to my mummy, as she's always been right behind my racing and I guess she knows me better than most people (I should hope so), and she said "If you really want to do the Ducati thing, then go for it. Life is too short, and you'll only regret it if you don't do it". Wise words mum

I started putting stuff back on Ebay, to try to raise enough cash to buy an old M600 or something ratty, and that would let me keep the CBR which was by now, EXPENSIIIVE!!!

Then I get a phone call from Weeksy... "I've got someone to do your engine dude", "Eh?" I said, "Yeah, I've got someone to sort your engines in return for a website"... SWEET, I thought. So, I rang this fine gentleman up, and sure enough, he was happy to build my engines for a website.

I was on a roll now, and I started texting and emailing all the 'bike' people I know to try to source a cheap or even free M600. Someone must have an old shed lying about somwhere, and besides, I don't need one with an engine either.

However, the very next day I had to text and email everyone back to say "Forget it". I had got an email from the 'engine' bloke to say that had been thinking about or conversation and he wouldn't be able to do the engine anymore!!

Instead, he wanted to build me a WHOLE bike, and all I had to do was ride it (and build the website, of course).

RESULT OF THE CENTURY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So that's where I am at the moment. This weekend I sent off a load more cheques for memberships and registration, and spent the best part of 20 odd hours trying to build a homepage which resembles something professional.

Roll on 2005, it's gunna be a stormer!!!

[Edited on 23-1-2005 by domskidue]
Old 23-Jan-2005, 21:51
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Cool post, Dom. Makes me want to re-think what I'm doing with my life!
Old 23-Jan-2005, 23:09
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

That means a lot big man :P

Quote:
Originally posted by weeksy
i'm not against it fella... not for one second. Keep it sane and go with what you heart tells you is right....

Lets face it, i couldn't respect you any less than i do already :P:P:P:P:P:P
Old 23-Jan-2005, 23:31
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Loz
Cool post, Dom. Makes me want to re-think what I'm doing with my life!

Yup, you're right about life. Sometimes a good look outside the box is all you need.

Better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't. Life is too short, I've lost 3 mates in 5 years, all under 30.

How many clichés was that? LOL