Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 24-Jan-2005, 16:50
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Knackered clutches & dinged wheels??

Hi All,

Couple of minor(?) issues with the SS, wondering in anyone's been through this before.

1. Clutch is biting just before the lever is completely released.

I assume this means the clutch is on its last legs. Has anyone replaced a clutch on a wet-clutch duke?? I'll be changing the oil soon and reckon this could be the best time to do it, but what do I need to look out for, and what needs to be ordered in advance (just plates, or springs, etc)??

2. Front wheel has a decent size ding in the rim

The ding is about 8cm long, and the edge of the rim is about 8-10mm out of line, but there's no cracks on the paint. Looks like it's hit a big pothole head on. Tyre doesn't seem too fussed about it at road speeds. Will it pass scrutineering? Anyone know where I could get it straightened reasonably cheaply?

Thanks in advance,

ali

ps: site down while it's moved to a new server.
Old 24-Jan-2005, 16:51
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Might just be worth looking out for a new wheel - I know my mate Neil picked one up off ebay for £25. They're all the same size I believe, so should be plenty about.
Old 24-Jan-2005, 21:42
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by ali
1. Clutch is biting just before the lever is completely released.

I assume this means the clutch is on its last legs. Has anyone replaced a clutch on a wet-clutch duke?? I'll be changing the oil soon and reckon this could be the best time to do it, but what do I need to look out for, and what needs to be ordered in advance (just plates, or springs, etc)??

That's how I'll be setting my clutch up. I'm no expert, but I would say that the closer to the bar it bites, the more worn out it is, but then that all depends on how it's been adjusted up in the first place.

One advantage of having the clutch biting when it's almost fully out, is that you only need to pull it in half way (ish) to change down gears, rather than tugging it all the way in.

Many millionths of seconds saved there!!

HTH (If I'm correct!)
Old 24-Jan-2005, 22:49
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Quote:
Originally posted by domskidue
One advantage of having the clutch biting when it's almost fully out, is that you only need to pull it in half way (ish) to change down gears, rather than tugging it all the way in.

Many millionths of seconds saved there!!

HTH (If I'm correct!)

Very good point! Just a bit concerned about it giving out mid-season (or mid-race), but will almost certainly leave well alone now.

Cheers,

ali
Old 25-Jan-2005, 00:35
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Hi Ali,

What a poignent post as I was just in my garage today (during a hailstorm ) and wondering about if I really should get my polished front wheel repaired. At my last MOT my bike actually failed on rear wheel bearings but the test mentioned a warning about the front wheel which he said was slightly buckled - Blow me but, I can't see it while rolling the wheel.

I might mount it on a spindle in a vice or something and have a look BUT....

it all reminded me of a guy near me who repaired an Alloy BMW wheel for me YEARS ago. He maintained that his 'repairs' had been tested by X-ray and were as sound as anyone elses BUT when I asked him HOW it was actually done I remember him saying "You REALLY don't want to know!".

Hmmmmmm.

I think the guy is still open for business as I remember seeing an Ad in MCN for him a little while back (cant find him after searching their website - great value advertising !!!)

BUT I remember seeing the Ducayi's he mentions on his website some 10 years ago - but I will phone up and see if he is still doing repairs:

http://www.thersbygroup.freeserve.co.uk/index.html

Sorry - was I waffling ?????
Old 25-Jan-2005, 02:24
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Roy Thersby, I remember him having a stand at the BMF rally in or around 1981, first person I ever heard of repairing cast alloy bike wheels
Old 30-Jan-2005, 09:29
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

wheel repairs....a quick search through the fave weekly....

Hagon Products (Essex)
http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk

Maidstone motoline (Kent - surprised!)
http://www.motoliner.com

Roy Thersby (N.E. England)
01642 612784

ST Motorcycle engineers (Grantham. Lincs)
01400 281703
email: townsendsf@aol.com

Good Luck - Frank