Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Apr-2005, 15:51
Big Twin

Nosecone with Powerbronze airflow screen fitted. Rather nice I thought.

Just heard about a chap in Grantham who imports classic Dukes and also does paint spraying. Might go and find him this afternoon to see how much he'd charge for a red paintjob!
Old 22-Apr-2005, 15:56
Big Twin

So .... pretty ugly isn't it? I've heard it said that none of them really fit very well, but I have no idea whether that was "bah humbug" or what? I reckon you pays your money and takes your choice.

The Race Products kit was the right price, apart from being unpainted. It looks alright though (see Avatar). Fairing including nosecone was about £200 (just over), seat was £80 and front mudguard that I did not use was £40 (couldn't get the original out with the wheel in, so left it). I used the stock seat pad as I have a Sargent seat for road use, and I just got the seat pad thingy from Italia for £12-50.
Old 22-Apr-2005, 16:02
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
For the money I guess it's a good deal, but you shouldn't of had to hack away at the belly pan or at least not to that extent... Hmmmm decisions decisions.

I can get a kit in black (pre-preg) for £325 cash (no seat unit) or get this for £200 or so and then have to butcher the bellypan and then get it painted

My head hurts
Old 22-Apr-2005, 16:10
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by JPM
For the money I guess it's a good deal, but you shouldn't of had to hack away at the belly pan or at least not to that extent... Hmmmm decisions decisions.

I can get a kit in black (pre-preg) for £325 cash (no seat unit) or get this for £200 or so and then have to butcher the bellypan and then get it painted

My head hurts

Frankly, I'd go for the £325 deal. This seemed like a good option at the time, and time was something I had little of. I had booked my first track day with 4 weeks notice and only then thought about how I was going to prepare the bike. RP make the fairings to order and supplied within 2 weeks. They were very apologetic about the belly pan problems and have sent me a new one (with the sides left longer as they thought that might help - it won't). I only found out the other hassles about the battery carrier after that conversatio with them. Normally I woudl have hit the roof over this as it clearly does not fit the bike it is intended for. They only thing they could have done was a refund and then I would not have had a fairing for my first outing. Hence the "cut and shunt and live with it" approach.

My head hurt for the following couple of weeks too whilst I got up the courage to put and angle grinder to it. Useful tool that ... I was still hacking away 2 days before the track day, hence "no paint"
Old 22-Apr-2005, 16:12
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
based on how much hacking we have already done for your bodywork i reckon paying a bit extra is worth it and also means that its coloured ready so no hassle getting it painted up etc.
Old 22-Apr-2005, 16:13
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Henry I assume the seat unit fitted OK, all apart from being a mono not Bp etc?
Old 22-Apr-2005, 16:20
Big Twin

Yep that fitted fine. All the holes line up ...

Doesn't quite cover the bip subframe loop but I'll live with that.
Old 22-Apr-2005, 16:44
Mille

Mood: One day I'll be allowed out to play......
Quote:
Originally posted by HW
Oh, on the subject of painting .. I will get aroudn to it, but I will do it myself. £38 for 1/2 litre pack from RS Bikepaint and a mat'es compressor. Need thinners, etch primer etc but better than the £350 I got quoted!

I get car paint from several sources - a local car bodyshop suppliers in Hemel, but try www.paints4u.com - you'll need single pack paint, respective thinners and lacquer should come to about 30 quid all in, add another 18 if you need primer and thinners (different from the paints thinners)

Don't know what 'magical paint' you're getting, but 38 squidleys is rather a lot for 1/2 a litre, unless you're going down the colour-shifting paint route

Hope it helps
Jas
Old 22-Apr-2005, 18:02
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by hooley
Quote:
Originally posted by HW
Oh, on the subject of painting .. I will get aroudn to it, but I will do it myself. £38 for 1/2 litre pack from RS Bikepaint and a mat'es compressor. Need thinners, etch primer etc but better than the £350 I got quoted!

I get car paint from several sources - a local car bodyshop suppliers in Hemel, but try www.paints4u.com - you'll need single pack paint, respective thinners and lacquer should come to about 30 quid all in, add another 18 if you need primer and thinners (different from the paints thinners)

Don't know what 'magical paint' you're getting, but 38 squidleys is rather a lot for 1/2 a litre, unless you're going down the colour-shifting paint route

Hope it helps
Jas

I must admit that is for colour matched (the tank and mudguard are still original parts) - from RS Bikepaint. It's a 2 part pack. I've just been trying to track down this chap in town who is a Ducati single enthusiast and bodywork resprayer. Sounds like a useful bloke to meet!
Old 22-Apr-2005, 18:55
500SD

Mood: Out with the grey....in with the satin black
Quote:
Originally posted by JPM

QB carbon fibreglass bodywork can be colour impregnated.

http://www.worldofqbcarbon.com/produ...99products.htm

I've not got their kit, so can't say how easy it is to fit but it might be worth giving them a call.