Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Dec-2004, 21:15
500SD

Mood: Corners like a Lego man
Multistrada tank bags

I have an Oxford Sports tank bagset up that worked fine on my old Monster but doesn't with the Multistrada since the tank isn't metallic so the magnets don't work !!

Has anyone else solved the problem of finding a tank bag to fit or can suggest a way of converting my existing tank bag to work on the plastic tank?
Old 05-Dec-2004, 21:38
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse SE, Evoluzione 2 ....

Mood: Dementor hunted by Foggy :)
Eamonn,

Thread below from www.multistrada.net

Cheers, Roy

------------------------------------------------------------------
Tankpack for the Multistrada?
Goto page 1, 2 Next

Multistrada.net Forum Index -> Multistrada forum

View previous topic :: View next topic
spike

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:40 am Post subject: Tankpack for the Multistrada?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok here is a good question; What to buy for a tankpack for the Multistrada?

The weird dirtbike shaped tank doesn't have a good flat spot to mount something conventional. The tank isn't metal so magnetic tankpacks are out.

The tankpack sold by Ducati is small, cheaply made, hard to get on and off, and butt ugly.

I had a nice Eclipse tankbag on my Paso and really got used to the convenience. Marsee makes some nice tank packs for Ducatis, but none for the Multistrada as of yet.

While I'm on the topic of luggage, where can I find a good (bigger) luggage rack for the tail?

Where can I get a good zippered dry bag for the rear, like a big gym bag type thing?

I'm trying to get set up to travel next year, any help/information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

NovaCoder

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:52 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't ever touch a tank-bag again due to the mess it made of my tank.

Someone told me that they can scratch your tank as they move about so I stuck some tape on first, this method worked great apart from when I got back from the trip and tried to remove the (week-old) dried on duct-tape...not easy.

I was left with dulled AND scratched paintwork....not happy Jan

Give me a -> MULTISTRADA 1000 S DS

Rocker

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:58 am Post subject:

Have you considered one of the Bagster range. These are excellent products which solve the problems that NovaCoda had

Steve B

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:39 am Post subject:

Spike, I've got a Marsee tank bag on mine that works just fine. I can't recall what size it is right now, maybe 15 liter? They may not have one that is designed specifically for the MTS, but I'm sure there are several sizes and models that would work. As far as scratching the tank goes, I always try to put a couple good coats of wax on the tank before putting the bag on and that helps a lot. I put a picture of my bike with the bag on in the accessories section.

Jantah
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:41 pm Post subject:

I always use a Booster mat onderneath the tank bag. Plus my tank is always waxed very, very well. The is no visible damage on the top of the tank, so I must be doing something right.

As a tank bag option, also check out the Famsa bag. There should be a couple of pictures in the accesories album.

rrichard

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:18 pm Post subject: Tankbag

I have a Wolfman XL strap type and it works great.
I have one big advantage, I have a Corbin seat which helps with the center strap.
Permanently attach one buckle to each side of the frame and remove the seat and wrap the strap around the tongue bracket a couple of times and put the seat back on. The Corbin seat installs like the old days, it pops off with a key.
Find Tank Slapper on the internet and that will solve the scratched tank problem.

leopolds

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:38 pm Post subject:

I agree with Rocker, I have a Bagster set which provide an excellent protection for the tank without any risk of scratches.
Just one point, as there is an opening in the tank cover to access to the fuel cap, when you fit the bag on top, and you have dust on the lower surface of the bag, it might scratch the paint of your fuel cap.
To avoid this, I had it covered with clear paint protection tape.

dartfrog

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:12 pm Post subject: Re: Tankpack for the Multistrada?

spike wrote:
Ok here is a good question;

While I'm on the topic of luggage, where can I find a good (bigger) luggage rack for the tail?

Where can I get a good zippered dry bag for the rear, like a big gym bag type thing?

Thanks,

Jim

For the rear, checkout the Ventura set up.. I'm going with this after already invested in the bags for my Sprint. It requires replacing the stock grab rail.

Charlie

MrDuc

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:24 pm Post subject:

I've got the bagster set as well. Works fine for me. I've put a picture in the foto album: http://www.multistrada.net/modules/m...hp?pic_id=1367

My own site with 3 pages in English (onderhoud, Multistrada en testbank). The other pages are "under construction".....

Steve B

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:37 pm Post subject:

A company called Luggage Locker (formerly Rocket Locker) makes some interesting products too. A friend has a 1100XX and uses the Elite Seat Sack. It's a very well made and useful product and the prices are reasonable. They don't list the Multistrada as available, but I wonder if some wouldn't work. See the other Ducati items here:

http://www.luggagelocker.com/ducati.html

spike

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:07 pm Post subject:

Thanks to everyone that responded to my question on tankpacks and other luggage for the Multistrada.

I did find some nice pictures of tankpacks mounted on bikes in the photo archives under accessories for anyone who is looking for more in formation on tankpacks, especially appearance.

Three primary brands have surfaced; Famsa, Bagster and Marsee. There were some other lesser-known brands as well. I am really looking for something specifically fitted for the Multistrada.

FYI, I am leaning towards the Famsa tankpack, but I have yet to see one in the flesh. I don't really like the way that the mounting straps go down over the seat, but this same thing is an issue with the Marsee bags as well. It appears that your legs will rub the straps (loosen the pack, scuff the paint, etc.), especially at stops when your legs are down. The OEM Ducati accessory tankpack appears that it might be made by Famsa, but maybe not.

The Bagster is just too much vinyl for me. It reminds me of those “bras” that people put on their cars. The Bagster will protect the tank no doubt. This said the thing is ugly and it looks like it will not come off in a hurry.

I am used to a tankpack that comes completely off in seconds, with all it's exposed mounting straps and all. There and then gone, leaving a clean tank, just like my old Eclipse tankpack did.

Oh well, I'm not whining mind you. Just trying to dial in my new ride!

Thanks again everyone for your time and the great info.

Jim

PS I’m not necessarily killing this thread. Anyone with more information please chim in!

Anyone have a source on good drybags for bikes, i.e., with lash grommets, quick releases, full length waterproof zippers, etc.???

Socalrider

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:36 pm Post subject: Tank Bag

Check out GIVI site, they have a new Tank Bag that has a suction cup mounting system, looks pretty cool and you dont have any straps hanging around, they have two differnt models.

Erik

Rocker

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:40 pm Post subject: Re: Tank Bag

Socalrider wrote:
Check out GIVI site, they have a new Tank Bag that has a suction cup mounting system, looks pretty cool and you dont have any straps hanging around, they have two differnt models.

Erik

Sounds a good idea but I would worry about the suction caps leaving marks on the tank if you didnt ensure both them and the tank were scrupiously clean before attaching them

Doc

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:18 pm Post subject:

Hi Jim,

From what you said, I suspect that you'd go for the OEM tankbag from Ducati if only it was bigger. If that's the case, then why not getting the Ducati bag that mounts on the passenger seat ? It's around 35 lt capacity and it can be on and off in seconds too (waterproof also).

Doc

Socalrider

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:43 pm Post subject: Tank Bag

Rocker,

I was thinking about the suction cups scratching as well, what I am going to try is using some clear vinal tape to mark the tank where the cups go, and then attach the tank bag. if that dosent work a propper cleaning and then apply suction cups, I think this is still better then any bag rubbing around on tank.

Erik

dartfrog

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:11 pm Post subject:

With a plastic tank, choices are really limited in fit function and personality.
The Famsa unzips from the mount. Expands, has a rain cover and overall I'm happy with the purchase.

ducatidave

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:14 pm Post subject:

Spike,
I did a 5 day 1500 mile trip back in July with the Famasa tank bag set. My only complaint with the set is that you have to completely remove the main tank bag, not the the side bags, to fill the gas tank. The zipper for the main tank bag broke when trying to lay the bag off to one side without completely removing it from the tank and that after spending $200+ US dollars for the tank bag set you don't get any literature with it, no instructions for care and no proper mounting instructions and no mention of the fact that you need to remove the tank bag to refuel in order to keep the zipper from breaking. The company that I purchased it from did send me a new base after I sent them the original, but it took 2 1/2 months to get the base back from the the time I sent it to them. That equals a slow boat from Italy.
Just my .02,
Dave

filastrada

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:15 am Post subject: Re: Tank Bag

Socalrider wrote:

Erik

I visited Givi.it site but couldn't find the bag you mentioned. Can you post
a link and/or a picture so we can share your impression?

Filastrada

Socalrider

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:01 pm Post subject: Tank Bag

Filastrada,

Try this link

http://www.givi.it/home/frame.asp

Erik

Socalrider

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:03 pm Post subject: Tank Bag

Then select

"vedi news" it is in (red) and thats where you will see the new Tank Bag.

Erik

filastrada

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:48 am Post subject: Re: Tank Bag

Socalrider wrote:
Filastrada,

Try this link

http://www.givi.it/home/frame.asp

Erik

Thanks Eric,

it was perfectly hidden
I like it very much but I have serious doubts that you can open the long oval tank lid of a Multi throug this round hole of the suction plate.

Filastrada

Socalrider

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:57 pm Post subject: Tank Bag

Filastrada,

I agree about the access to the filler lid, but I bet it is still easier then a normal Tank Bag whith the straps.

Erik

badger

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:01 pm Post subject:

For the rear, look at the Wolfman alpha or beta bags. I have the beta for my R1100S. Huge space, lots of tiedown straps, looks pretty good when packed too.

Old 06-Dec-2004, 02:18
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Eammon

I use the Baglux tank bag and tank cover and am pleased with it. The bag is only 12 litres i think but is very well made and has already been well used (been on for over 6000 miles so far). My last Baglux bag lasted for 10 years on a multitude of bikes so no probs with the quality. Its not cheap because you need the bag and the harness (but i can get it cheap if you want one).

The only possible complaint with the system on a Multistrada is because of the shape of the tank the harness should fit under the edge of the fairing but it does pop out at the front and a bit of muck can get under the harness, so needs taking of periodically so you can clean and polish the tank.