Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Jul-2006, 18:51
Mille
Bikes: 998Bip

Mood: Carbonara
Anyone using wavey discs?

A question for anyone who is using wavey discs with 4-pad calipers.

Do you find that the wavey discs feel any different from ordinary discs?

Specifically, when braking do you get any buzzing or vibration, at the frequency of the indentations on the edge of the disc?

I've just glued some of these discs on to mine, and I am a little perturbed as the results. It would be nice to know it's normal.

Spin
Old 30-Jul-2006, 19:58
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinoli1
A question for anyone who is using wavey discs with 4-pad calipers.

Do you find that the wavey discs feel any different from ordinary discs?

Specifically, when braking do you get any buzzing or vibration, at the frequency of the indentations on the edge of the disc?

I've just glued some of these discs on to mine, and I am a little perturbed as the results. It would be nice to know it's normal.

Spin
Not using wavy discs myself but I get a few vibrations and odd noises from my new EBC pads.
The brakes are bloody feirce tho!You can really feel the pads gripping the discs.

Last edited by KeefyB : 30-Jul-2006 at 20:23.
Old 30-Jul-2006, 20:51
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
Had waveys on my 996 but hated the way the lever pulsated when pulling hard on the brake. I changed back to original discs and............... Sorted.

I thought it may have something to do with either the pads in my four pad brembos being small and picking up on the edge of the waveys or the fact that the waveys discs were just Sh*t to start with. I run a radial brake master cylinder with goodridge lines and 4 pad 4 piston Brembos.

I will try the waveys discs on my track bike as it has the older 2 pad brembo calipers.
Either way I think it may be a case of if it aint broke, dont F**ck about with it as the brakes were pretty damn impressive as they were!! LOL.

DC.
Old 31-Jul-2006, 09:56
Mille

Thanks DC - your symptoms sound the same as mine. I've read on the 998 board of a user getting the same buzzing with both his 2 and 4 pad calipers - on one of them it knocked the pads out???! (didn't whether 2 or 4 pad).

I chose these discs as I needed a spare set for my track wheels, and the price was right. The braking performance seems similar, but only track time will tell.

I'm not a bling chaser, but I must admit the discs do look very pleasing.

However, the buzzing will take a little getting used too, and it would be nice if the pads stay in.

Spin
Old 31-Jul-2006, 16:24
Bikes: 749S

Did you de-bur (sp?) the disks before fitting them? There was a free DVD with one of the sportsbike mags a couple of months ago showing how to fit various bits of bling, PCIII etc. One of the first things the mech did after getting the wavey out of the packet was de-bur every hole with a small grinding stone in a Dremel. No idea if it makes much difference, but seems sensible to me as the edges can sometime feel a fit rough....

T.
Old 31-Jul-2006, 16:52
Mille

Mood: Meditating
I really liked my wave disks on my Ducati. I used rotors by a manufacturer called (simply) Breaking. For two years I ran 4 pad 4 piston Brembos on a Brembo radial master cylinder with Goodridge dual lines on my race bike.

I have yet to find another system that could match this set-up either for outright performance or for feel.

I guess some of the more radical designed wave rotors with huge cutouts may well cause issues.

For me the wave disks reduced the problem that I suffered on fast tracks of the fluid boiling and performance fading rapidly.
Old 01-Aug-2006, 09:39
Mille

thanks for your responses guys,

I look into the de-burring route - seems like a lot of hassle that should been addressed by the manufacturer - but then again the price was pretty good.

I am gathering some interesting feedback from the various boards I have posted the question.

Seems like the buzzing is common, but not inevitable.

If I get a definitive answer I will tack it into this thread for anyone who is interested.

BTW - the supplier of the discs says that he is sending me a set of replacement discs immediately - if this is the case, I am impressed with his service and I will post his details here when I receive them.

Spin