Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Jul-2006, 18:29

Front Wheel - Spacers ?

Just had the front wheel of my 999 (2004) off for a tyre change, upon putting it back on I've noticed that there is one spacer on the left hand side (nut side) of the spindle and nothing on the other, unfortunately I can't remember whether there was one on the right hand side or not when I took it off - I'm worried that it may have been stuck to the wheel and come off at the tyre fitters

Could someone please have a quick look at theirs and let me know whether there is a spacer or not

many thanks
Old 30-Jul-2006, 18:54
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Nope,just the one spacer on the left.The spindle comes through the forks on the right to take up the differance.
Old 30-Jul-2006, 18:58

That comes as a relief - thanks for checking
Old 31-Jul-2006, 08:33

Mood: busy!
Exclamation wheel spacer!!!!

There is a spacer that fit inside the r/h seal between the bearing and the axle....it usually doesn't fall out that easily so it might still be there.

have a look at the parts catalouge here: http://www.ducati.com/bikes/service/...delName=200 4

If the wheel is re-fitted without the spacer the discs will probably foul the calipers. Worth rechecking it's there!

Good luck
Old 31-Jul-2006, 17:50
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 749R 2004

Mood: luvin' bein back out on the 'R'
I did the same this weekend, the one that sits in the r/h seal fell out at the fitting place, lucky I spotted it on the floor !
Old 31-Jul-2006, 20:13
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchc
There is a spacer that fit inside the r/h seal between the bearing and the axle....it usually doesn't fall out that easily so it might still be there.

have a look at the parts catalouge here: http://www.ducati.com/bikes/service/parts/2004.jhtml?family=service&node=parts&modelName=200 4

If the wheel is re-fitted without the spacer the discs will probably foul the calipers. Worth rechecking it's there!

Good luck
Yep,I knew that,its just as you said,it does'nt usually fall out easily.
Only time mine came out is when I overtightened the spindle clamps and ovalled the spindle.
Old 31-Jul-2006, 22:24

Thought I had it sussed, but have read the last posts and also had a look at the parts catalogue, and could just do with some reassurance ! - I can see a black seal covering the bearing which leaves it pretty much flush with the hub of the wheel on the r/h side. It has about 1 inch of the spindle is visible now that the wheel is back on - does this sound right. The l/h side obviously has a much larger spacer that leaves it about an inch proud of the hub of the wheel

Thanks
Old 01-Aug-2006, 05:56
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonB
Thought I had it sussed, but have read the last posts and also had a look at the parts catalogue, and could just do with some reassurance ! - I can see a black seal covering the bearing which leaves it pretty much flush with the hub of the wheel on the r/h side. It has about 1 inch of the spindle is visible now that the wheel is back on - does this sound right. The l/h side obviously has a much larger spacer that leaves it about an inch proud of the hub of the wheel

Thanks
Sounds about right to me.As I said before,I never mentioned the r/h spacer because it very rarely comes out.I think you will find if it was missing the spindle would'nt seat correctly against the wheel and the alignment would be way out.
Old 01-Aug-2006, 06:31

Great - I think it's okay then
Old 01-Aug-2006, 09:02

Mood: busy!
er, if you have any doubt whats so ever, why don't you take out the wheel again to check. It only takes a few minutes or so.

Peace of mind and all that!!