Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 12-Jul-2004, 01:29
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Thruxton NON Race report !!!!!

Today at Thruxton was a perfect example of why club racing has gone down hill as far as North Glos club is concerned, It is also a good example of why you shouldn’t bother racing a Ducati or any other Sound of Thunder bike for that matter.
The day didn’t start to badly, left home at 05:45am to make my way to Thruxton, arrived around 7am and parked up and unloaded the 916 in a light drizzle, next it was off to the A&R racing paddock support van to see Jay and get my race numbers, next was scrutineering which was no problem, then to signing on and get my practice pass. I was down for 2nd practice, which was due to run at 9:10am. As practice crept closer it continued with the light rain so I opted for a front wet and a worn rear wet, as I didn’t think it wet enough for a good rear wet.
Practice went really well and I came back in having thoroughly enjoyed myself.
Now everything had to stop for about a hour and a half for the church break
This is when Gordy turned up so I wandered down to the entrance to give him his ticket for getting in. When race 1 came up we were on the banking on the outside of the circuit which is when we were joined by Bradders and Everton along with his son. While waiting for my race other races were getting red flagged and then restarted due to accidents. With the weather changeable tyre choice was going to be a last minute decision. Eventually settled for a inter front and a Rennsport rear.
I was starting in 23rd position on the grid with most of the guys I know several rows in front of me. The sighting lap got better as the tyres warmed and I came around to take my position on the grid.
When the lights went off I tried for a lightning start that just didn’t happen as the clutch juddered a few times before biting I got passed by a few of the lads behind me, but now with the clutch engaged I got good drive and dived up the inside of a couple around the 1st right and then had a couple more around the left approaching the complex including Dr. Desmo himself (I was probably giving away 40bhp to him). Passed a couple more around by Church, things then settled down as I tried to close the gap on the RSV in front of me as we both slowly closed the gap on the bikes in front of him which included my old TL1000S (116BHP at the rear wheel). Then on the 4th lap after just the complex we came across a bike and bits in the track, at the marshal’s post the Red flags were out.
So that was it race over and I had finished in 20th place all of 3 places further up the grid for the 2nd SoT race, which didn’t happen.

Summary

1st race stopped after 3 laps after one lad crashed leaving his bike and bits off it in the middle of the track, started 23 finished 20th
2nd race cancelled due to time restraints at Thruxton, no race engines after 6:30pm
Big crashes in the 650-1300 Street stocks and Sidecars races that delayed things and as usual it’s the SoT guys that pay the price.
All this for a entry of £105, not what I would call value for money.

One very hacked off Kev
Old 12-Jul-2004, 01:38
MotoGP God

There were some good points, namely the familar faces and support of the DSC guys that made it along to Thruxton.
So thanks to Gordy, Dave, Paul, Craig and Nick who I hope enjoyed his day marshaling at the complex and probably has a report of his own
Old 12-Jul-2004, 01:44
MotoGP God

Steve If i have the money I have several New Era meetings I want to do that include 2 meets at Castle Combe, 1 at Silverstone, a 2 dayer at Brands and the 2 day Clubmans festival at Donington.
Old 12-Jul-2004, 11:33
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Sorry to hear your meet didn't go as hoped. I hear what you're saying about club racing. While at Croft this weekend, they shortened the afternoon's races to 4 laps because the sidecars had some major crashes. Probably lost bout 2 hours on Saturday due to this. Bann 'em I say!

At least they got all the races in and Sunday was fantastic! See forthcoming report in this section.
Old 12-Jul-2004, 13:44
Montjuic

Skidlids,

Have you been out with Bemsee by any chance? They're subject to the same crash potential as any other club of course, but slick organisation makes the best of the time available. Their supertwins class is a third or half of a full grid and is usually gridded with 'minitwins' (SV650's). One thing with Bemsee tho, oversubscription means getting your entries in early and preference being given to regular contenders.

Andy
Old 12-Jul-2004, 14:33
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
There were some good points, namely the familar faces and support of the DSC guys that made it along to Thruxton.
So thanks to Gordy, Dave, Paul, Craig and Nick who I hope enjoyed his day marshaling at the complex and probably has a report of his own

I gotta do a report???
OK, I'll see what I can knock up this evening.

I've not seen you race before kev, but from my vantage point you were looking like one of the smoothest guys out there - it was pretty obvious you were struggling with power though.

Visited your van at brekkie break for the promised hat.... the skidlids was nowhere to be seen! So I'll blame you for my sunburn!!

nb
Old 12-Jul-2004, 15:52
MotoGP God

Nick Blame Gordy as I wandered down to the entrance to give him a ticket to get in during the brekkie break. SORRY
Old 12-Jul-2004, 15:55
MotoGP God

Andy you don't want to know my views on Bemsee, views formed in 1998 maybe they have changed but not from what I have heard and I see NG currently heading the same way.
Old 12-Jul-2004, 15:59
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Never mind Kev, always next time. At least it wasn't your bike in bits on the track!
Old 12-Jul-2004, 16:16
MotoGP God

As you say Antony better luck next time, but this does happen far to often, far to many of the North Glos races are cut short.
and thankfully it wasn't me on the floor and the bike in bits, mainly because I usually try to ride within my limits leaving a bit in hand, costs me a bit on lap times but as I attend most race meetings by myself its something I have to think about, another price I pay for my Hobby and that is all it is a Hobby

this is from the Guy who crashed and is posted on the NG roadracing website

"Hi Guys, Nice to see a discussion on SOT. I was the rider who highsided at around 110 going through village whilst lying in 12th when the race stopped. All Ok but my back really aches and my 04 rsvr needs some TLC but well be back as soon as the bank balance allow (and the wife).

I agree that it would be so much more enjoyable if we had 1 10 lap race so you could really get the battles going but I guess we dont make the rules. Really be a shame to lose SOT but I guess we will just wait and see.

To any of the marshalls or Doctors who attended THANK YOU, good to know youre there.

Best Regards

Gordon 155 Aprilia"

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit