Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 08-Aug-2005, 12:01   #1
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
Donny - Virtual Lap info please?
All,

Just booked Tue eve. at Donny for a first time visit, any of you 'race legends' want to talk me round in my head before hand.

Obviously a great opportunity to take the **** and use your comedic? skills, but try to resist.....this is serious.

At least I will be getting more than a 10 minute qualifying/warm up before the racing.....

Top 10 or bust......
Old 08-Aug-2005, 12:43   #2
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Yep, tape up the throttle full on and ride her on the kill switch!!!!
Old 08-Aug-2005, 12:57   #3
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
In the spirit of actually trying to help!:

Redgate is way slower than you think, brake hard at the end of the blue cross-hatching by the pit exit, turn in later than you think. On, or just after, the apex gas on, run right to the small curb then hard left to hold the left side into the old hairpin. Full throttle from just before the apex all the way up the hill, down one for Macleans, hold the same gear all the way to Coppice (?), turn before the brow and power on all the way to the chicane. Down two, don't run wide, gas on after the first apex.

What Phil says is bang on, get Redgate right and the rest just flows.

Cheers,

Ali
Old 08-Aug-2005, 13:00   #4
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by ali

Redgate is way slower than you think, brake hard at the end of the blue cross-hatching by the pit exit, turn in later than you think. On, or just after, the apex gas on, run right to the small curb then hard left to hold the left side into the old hairpin. Full throttle from just before the apex all the way up the hill, down one for Macleans, hold the same gear all the way to Coppice (?), turn before the brow and power on all the way to the chicane. Down two, don't run wide, gas on after the first apex.

Cheers,

Ali

......and don't forget to breathe!!!!!
Old 08-Aug-2005, 13:04   #5
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
Quote:
Originally posted by ali

Cheers,

Ali

just goes to show how much lower my corner speed is..............................down 2 for mcleans and down 3 for the chicane!

[Edited on 8-8-2005 by dickieducati]
Old 08-Aug-2005, 13:11   #6
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Dickie you've got a 6 speed box though, it might be different for you.

I'm down two into the chicane as well.
Old 08-Aug-2005, 13:22   #7
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati

just goes to show how much lower my corner speed is..............................down 2 for mcleans and down 3 for the chicane!

Nah, I'm just happy going round at 3,000rpm! Actually, I can't really remember how many I go down for the chicance, but I know it should be two. I seem to remember going down three on a couple of occaisions, but it was probably to avoid running into the back of someone.

Just out of interest, can someone please confirm that the MCN guide is off it's head when it says you should be braking after the GP circuit Melbourne Loop section for the chicane? I tried a couple of times but found I'd run wide if I braked any later than halfway across the gap where the GP circuit hangs a left....

Cheers,

Ali
Old 08-Aug-2005, 13:25   #8
MotoGP God

Nah, I couldn't brake that late ... I'm a little way before that.
Old 08-Aug-2005, 13:36   #9
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
yeah i brake WAY earlier , but then i'm **** at braking.

i was braking so early i even had people coming past me from the next track session !
Old 08-Aug-2005, 13:45   #10
MotoGP God

There's a rumble strip on the right hand side of the track as you come down into the chicane, I'm still pushing mine back but I'm getting towards the end of that. Which finishes a little way before the section that heads off to the Melbourne Loop.

Is anyone holding it completely flat from Redgate all the way down to the old hair pin? Once I've picked up the apex of Redgate I'm on the throttle and grabbing gears all the way down but the change of direction to the left is difficult to turn the bike. I'm finding that if I roll off the throttle a little bit (about a third) it weights the front and lets me turn it easier. Then I'm straight back on. Might try counter-steering a bit harder through there with the throttle pinned ...