Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Sep-2006, 08:40
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
Angry ST3sABS v WondaVFR v Trumpet Sprint ST

Okay I am going to try and post the results (resumé) of the latest test in the german mag "Tourenfahrer" September issue. (last time I tried a big post on the forum this new site spit me out - very frustrating after loads of work!!!!!!

In their opening comments they state that:
"Ducati - delivers a stable chassis, light clutch n gear change, and a wonderful torquey engine - a celebration".
"Wonda - proven but now old hi tech engineering with a smooth as butter gear change - a pleasure - but does it have charisma?"
"Trumpet - brings goose pimples to your neck - marvellous - intoxicating"

Bike Weights: Full Tank plus Max Permitted Luggage
Ducati 235kgs 185kgs
Wonda 253kgs 191kgs
Trumpet 249kgs 207kgs

Engine Stats:
Ducati 992cc 107PS @8750 98Nm
Wonda 782cc 109PS @10500 80Nm
Trumpet 1050cc 125PS @9250 104Nm

Speed Stats:
50 > 120kph (in 5th gear) 0 > 100kph Top Speed
Solo Two-Up Solo Solo Two-Up
Ducati 6.0s 9.0s 3.7s 240kph 227kph
Wonda 10.1s 12.4s 3.7s 243kph 221kph
Trumpet 7.1s 8.8s 3.4s 262kph 246kph

Fuel Range & Economy (distance/100lts)
Lts Tank+Res A Roads Motorway Range: A Roads Motorway
Ducati 21 6 5.3 5.9 396kms 355kms
Wonda 22 2 5.9 6.5 372kms 338kms
Trumpet 21 4 5.3 6.1 396kms 344kms

Braking Stats:100Kph>>>0. Time (Mtrs/sec) & Distance(Mtrs Traveled)
Ducati 11.16 34.6
Wonda 9.23 41.8
Trumpet 8.98 42.9

Headlamp Quality (Night Riding Safety)
Ducati Beam only gave narrow visible road to 17mtrs
Wonda Reasonable 30mtrs of good beam spread
Trumpet Fanatastic clear road excellent beam spread to 50mtrs

Panniers: Size Overall Width-(on bike) Costincluding fixing brackets)
Ducati 30lts 930mm Euro 738
Wonda 35lts 975mm Euro 784
Trumpet 32lts 1013mm Euro 728

Costs: Including ABS on all Models (Euro in Germany)
Ducati 12,695
Wonda 12,640
Trumpet 12,460
All have a 2yr guarantee

Servicing: First Thereafter Kms + (Average Official Workshop Time)
Ducati 1,000kms 10,000kms**** 3,5 > 8.0hrs
Wonda 1,000kms 6,000kms 0.8 > 5.7hrs
Trumpet 800kms 10,000kms 1.15 > 4.30hrs
**** Note: From model Yr'07 Ducati increase service interval from 10 to 12,000kms and have stated that the service time will be 50% less. This theorectically brings Ducati into line with Wonda and Trumpets much lower service costs - however it does not apply to current bikes.

Spare Parts Costs:
There are too many to list individually so I have put them all in a basket (as if you were shopping at Sainsbury Tesco Asda etc) these include: Brake pads front n rear, chain, oil and air filter clutch plates, indicators front, rear view mirrors, brake and clutch levers, handlebars.
Ducati Euro 708.93
Wonda Euro 665.79
Trumpet Euro 618.32

Critique:
Ducati - Worst Headlamp for Night Riding and high ownership costs
Wonda - Heavy and stale design - old (but very good) bike of no character
Trumpet - Worst Pillion Comfort and too wide with panniers fitted.

Overall Rankings:
1st: Honda - Nothing really wrong - very good all rounder in every department and nothing seriously wrong as a tourer.
2nd: Ducati - Let down only by the higher servicing/ownership costs and a very dangerous headlamp if you travel at night.
3rd: Trumpet: Despite a fantastic motor, very good bulid quality, reasonable servicing costs, and best-in-class headlamp by far, this was a tourer test and the very high and cramped pillion facility let the bike down. So if you only ride SOLO, the the Trumpet wins hands down and the Duc is Third.

Sorry but I cannot translate the whole article it would take far too much time and posting - but if you want it in german I am happy to photocopy it and mail it to DSC Members Only.

Otherwise go onto the mags website: www.tourenfahrer.de (sept edition) - the headlight test pictures are frightening if you are a Ducati ST3 rider (or ST4).
Old 04-Sep-2006, 08:52
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
Great post Athelstan! Thanks for the info. I seem to remember a recent UK test that had the Triumph winning the Sports Tourer class by a long way. Interesting to see a different result in a different country.

As for the headlight, the one on my 900ss is pretty much rubbish too. I find riding at night, on unlit roads, takes immense concentration and in the wet probably isn't very safe. Perhaps it's a general Ducati fault. Wonder if it can be fixed with an aftermarket bulb or something.

I'm considering a Spors Tourer as my next bike. I really don't like the way ST2s and ST4s look. But the ST3 has potential. I was even considering buying British and getting the new Sprint ST (it's not 4 cylinders you know!), but the comments about the cramped pillion position has now put me off.
Old 04-Sep-2006, 09:17
Ducati Corse

Mood: Looking for a one way ticket to the 'Ring.
It's interesting to see that even on the newer style lights, they say the are no good.
I've always thought my st4s were beyond no good, more dangerous!
On anything other than full beam, at night down a country lane you taking your life in your own hands if you want to hustle along, I've had a few wake up calls and have been made to slow, down even on roads I know as the lights are sh*te.
As of yet I have seen no aftermarket kits to improve the older style lights, please someone find one!
Old 04-Sep-2006, 11:11
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
Question ST - Better Headlamp Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff st4s
It's interesting to see that even on the newer style lights, they say the are no good.
I've always thought my st4s were beyond no good, more dangerous!
On anything other than full beam, at night down a country lane you taking your life in your own hands if you want to hustle along, I've had a few wake up calls and have been made to slow, down even on roads I know as the lights are sh*te.
As of yet I have seen no aftermarket kits to improve the older style lights, please someone find one!

There is a replacement unit available in the USA (they will ship to Europe) - I do not know anyone who has fitted this so cannot comment, BUT, the web site does have customer testimonies and pictures of before n after. If anyone gets one fitted I'd be interested to have their views, not only does it work, but, the overal quality of finish and fitting instructions - see:

http://ducatidesigns.com/
Old 04-Sep-2006, 11:49
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff st4s

Very good, based on Hella lamps....but pricey!

http://www.ducatidesigns.com/home

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 04-Sep-2006, 14:28
Ducati Corse

Mood: Looking for a one way ticket to the 'Ring.
Thanks Athelstan and Jools, I'll look into getting some at the end of the year and have them fitted when it's due for it's service, fantastic results shame about the styling, only down side of old ST is ugly lights and these don't really improve the situation, but hopefully I won't be wearing a tree at night for personal decoration after fitting them.
Old 04-Sep-2006, 16:08
Montjuic

Intersting stuff. To comment further about the lights, I'm glad it's not just me (I thought it was my ageing eyesight letting me down).

To my mind, the spread of light (from my 1998 St2) covers all the right areas except up in front. It just hasn't got the power and I agree it is bordering on damn dangerous. Therefore, it would seem that uprating the wattage of the bulb would be a cheap, simple and easy option.
But the reason I daren't do that is two fold:
The cheap and nasty Italian wiring can't be trusted to carry the extra current without melting a wire or a cheap connector block, and the extra strain on the charging system is another thing I wouldn't like to try.
But remember that my model (98) has a particularly bad charging system, and all models since have been better (allegedly).