Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Nov-2005, 09:40
500SD

Mood: Not sure
Hi,

I have a S4r and think it's a fantastic bike, but as already mentioned the motor is a bit lumpy around town and the clutch can get quite heavy if your stuck in alot of traffic. I have fitted a different clutch slave cylinder and 14 tooth front sprocket which does help.

I'd seriously consider the 800 S2r though as it has all the looks of the S4r but smoother motor, wet clutch and a bit more punch than the 620 to keep you happy, also a bit cheaper to service than the 996 motor.

Darren

[Edited on 3-11-2005 by LesPaul]
Old 03-Nov-2005, 21:28
Mille

The thing that swings it for me towards an S4r is that big rad. Silly i know so as much as i love the S2r it would have to be the big 'un.

Found a deal for a 2005 749 in red,£7999,£799 down,36 months at 0%. Cant argue with that,but how would that be as a commuter?

Am i totally barking up the wrong tree with an sbk?

(sorry for all the newb questions)
Old 03-Nov-2005, 22:10
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
Ive always like the S4r for the rad to found the 2v motors to little/naked. Even the S4r motor is small when people ask how big the engine is they dont believe u

Yep 749's are cheap now, I had a 748 before my s4r and found it uncomfy round town not so much on the wrists but the seat used to dig in and give me dead leg or pins and needles and the head down position is not good for filtering. I did try a 749 that was more comfy than a 748.

Also the thought of binning the 748 was a worry where as i now have crash bungs on the s4r which hopefully save a lot and theres no expensive fairings to worry about

Tricky decision still you have hhmmmmm
Old 03-Nov-2005, 22:14
Mille

I know! Thought i was almost there with a decision then saw the 749 offer,and im rubbish at making my mind up at the best of times!

Cheers though.
Old 04-Nov-2005, 09:58
500SD

Mood: Not sure
Try getting a ride on both, I know it's an obvious answer but it's the only way you will know which suits you best.
Personally I swapped a 749S for a S4r and find the S4r as much if not more fun on the road without the wrist pain.

Darren
Old 05-Nov-2005, 16:19
Mille

Right,mind made up.

I was searching for around half an hour in Covent Garden yesterday for a space in a bike bay and ended up having to move a couple of Scooters to wedge myself in. This seems to happen more and more lately and the thought of a 749's fairing amongst all those footpegs makes me wince,so S4r it is.

Gonna go for the black and white with white wheels,which will probably end up black. (as i like the look of mine so much).

Next newb question. What to do with the exhaust? (as i hope to get it done before i pick the bike up.)

Am i right in thinking i can

a) get a whole system in order to get rid of the cat,or

b) get slip-ons and keep the cat?

Lee,what was the price of your Akrapovic? That keeps the cat,am i right? Also is it road legal,as i'll be on the bike everyday and would prefer to be (just) legal?

Only really had a brief look at Termi's,these seem to be the norm for S4r owners. What sort of money am i looking at for those?

Thank you all (again)

Nick
Old 05-Nov-2005, 17:58
Big Twin

Hi Nick,

Good choice the best if you plan on using it a lot for commuting sbk's are just scary for the thought of dropping them (price wise i mean lol)

Not seen a black/white one yet but bet it looks good, the white wheels are a pain but do look so nice

there are a few full systems termi one which is 50mm i think but mega dough i dont wanna know how much!!

The spark one on spare shack is about 800 or so but not road legal. If you keep cat first like i have it still stops some of the sound, it can be replaced with a spareshack pipe that looks much neater then you can add any slip ons u like. Termis are around 1k i believe but you get the ecu etc to.

Termis are normal Ducati brand but i prefer arrows or the akrapovic i have.

I got the akrapovic cheap at 400 its about 650 normally, all ti thru out and i love the twin inlets and outlets, best of all theres 2 baffles which are removable with 2 bolts and an E mark legal stamp so if plod pulls me

I had probs with set up with the stock ecu being set to rich but now seems to be ok pulls a lot better, most seem to think u dont need to fiddle with it, but depends on how rich it is running stock to.

I want to get the spareshack pipes to later to replace cat and hear the full rumble!!

I think the 2006 S4r is the last one is to be called s4r final edition, red tank frame with black wheels and strip looks quite nice seen a pic of it, no extra bling or anything though!

[Edited on 5-11-2005 by Lee1980]
Old 06-Nov-2005, 23:37
Big Twin

Heres a pic of the 2006 s4r final edition

Worth a look for the black wheels alone
Old 15-Nov-2005, 20:53
Mille

Quote:
Originally posted by KeefyB
Hmm,S4R,..lovely bike but has got that lumpy old 996 motor...bit of a handfull around town,I imagine.Now add on a grabby clutch when hot,....
I would stick to what you have got for commuting.

TBH i dont exactly find mine 'smooth'. Would the S4r be a lot worse?
Old 16-Nov-2005, 07:23
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Have a read of this......