Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Oct-2003, 23:05
500SD

fng has a exhaust question

hi, only had my 748 2 weeks and am a bit confused with regards to fitting race cans to it. once i get some do i need a chip and a co test ? have seen ART do a pair for approx £350, are these ok ?
Old 27-Oct-2003, 23:18
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Welcome...

....you'll need a chip to get the best out of them.

You can always benefit from getting fueling set up etc, but the chip should be done at the same time as you fit the cans.

Tim
Old 27-Oct-2003, 23:44
Big Twin

The make of cans you decide on are down to you and your tastes/cash flow!

Many Duke owners would not think of putting anything other than termi's on the pride and joy. There does seem however to be a growing number of suppliers willing to produce similar products for a fraction of the cost italian carbon! Check out places like tecmoto or JHP for alternatives...or look in the weekly/monthly mags for second-hand units. Place a post in the market section of this board...second-hand termis are often traded about for good money.

As for the chip, I'm no expert, but if you buy termi's, they should come with a chip...in fact if you buy a different make from any reputable outlet, you should get a chip with them (I know you do with JHP or Arrow cans). You may find that the bike 'appears' to run fine without changing the chip...but it may well be running a little lean(?) and may be doing some unseen damage even if it appears to be running OK.

Some find that even after changing the chip over, the bike still does not run smoothly, and the only way to really get over this is to take it somewhere to someone who knows (ie JHP/Conerspeed(Nelly)) and who can spend time and has the diagnostic equipment to sort it.

But definately do it...the sound is sublime

[Edited on 27-10-2003 by Harv748]
Old 28-Oct-2003, 07:36
Mille

Quote:
Originally posted by uncle porry
have seen ART do a pair for approx £350, are these ok ?

Have had ART zorst on a previous bike and quality and aftersales support/service was not too good - so would second previous advice of having a look at some others to compare before buying - Termis, JHP, Tecmoto, Arrow etc.
Def get the corresponding chip for the pipes.
Old 28-Oct-2003, 16:14
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
I`ll 3rd that advice, there are loads of people on here who can offer very good advice on pipes and who have experienced all the various ascociated problems so I would suggest you listen and learn.
Good luck.
Old 29-Oct-2003, 11:10
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
As said before, if your going to fit some pipes you really need to fit the appropriate eprom and get the bike set up to suit.
It may run OK without touching anything but you will not get the benefit, other than the noise, without.
Worse case could be that the fuelling goes too weak and damages the motor.
Unless you get a chip supplied with your choice of cans, best VFM are JHP's chips. £30 or so.

ART aren't that good. Definately at the budget end of the market.

Termis are the general choice but expensive. Arrow, Ackroprovic are other quality names.

If your interested I have some 50mm Termi "copies" that are pretty good. Mail me if you'd like more info.
Old 30-Oct-2003, 00:06
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Uncle porry if your thinking of buying new then checkout the better known Ducati outlets see if they have what you want, then find out how much you can have them for with DSC discount and if figures add up it makes club membership a good investment.