Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 15-Dec-2004, 20:50
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Quote:
Originally posted by Rattler

Nick - not sure I agree, if it was any road tyre, then I could use soft Supercorsas (my preffered choice) if it was very dry and then D207RRs (or similar if it was damp) - I'd then need 2 sets of wheels.

Unless you're suggesting that one type is selected by each rider and then he (or she) has to stick with that tyre - but difficult to police.

Steve M's idea of 3 different tyres that you could chose from is more viable I reckon as this would be a predefined list created by the organisers and would probably be a single type of tyre from Bridgestone, Dunlop or Michelin (perhaps).

Tim

yeah, I was sort of thinking out loud really.

I reckon the best suggestion so far is a small selection of similar tyres which would be not significantly better be it wet or dry, therefor eliminating the need for spare wheels.

But let's see what the powers-that-be come up with.
Old 15-Dec-2004, 22:04
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Right, at the end of the beer soaked day I'm signed up so sit back and cop me .02p worth between the eyes ... (and enjoy it!)

I will be happy to use whatever everyone else has to use, as long as it's the same. If it's down to road legal tyres then you won't catch me anywhere near a Dunlop, I'll be on Pirelli's the same as Tim. SC's thankyou. I ran D207RR's on my 996 and I hate them. They take 20 years to warm up and they scallop.

If tyre warmers are allowed I'll have some, if they're not I'll still have some but not use them - bugger. But whatever.

So, if it's a control tyre (single make) then my vote goes towards Pirelli's, if it's all the same and it ends up with another manufacturer then so be it, I'll cop it on the chin and hten make every excuse under the sun (or your cloud ridden pathetic version of the same) as to why I fell off. Including Antony's promise to bump me off at lunchtime - ask Chi, he was there!!!
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
I'm quite happy to go with the No warmers and No Wets rule. (haven't ticked a voting box, I consider this Free tyres - no warmers)

Streetstock rules that I have raced under before state that tyres must be Road legal (No wets not even Avons road legal wets)

My trye preferences are the Pirelli and Metzeler range and with no wets the Diablo Corsa would be a sensible choice, I'm not keen on Bridgestones a few years ago it took me forever to find a setup for my CBR600 after I switched from Dragon Corsas to BT58s and the bike never was as good on the Bridgestones.
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Hmmmm-"But let's see what the powers-that-be come up with."-I guess that's me then.
Interesting list Weeksy-
"208's (standard)
Pirrelli Diablo
Michelin 012's
Avon AP49's(i think)
Metzeler MEZ4"
MEZ4?? that's a touring tyre isn't it??
Not a Bridgestone to be seen-any particular reason??
Bearing in mind that I am not competing, just one of the idiot's who chose to open this particular can of worms this is the thinking so far.

We were asked by New Era if we had considered a control tyre as they had a manufacturer (Bridgestone) who were keen to get involved with a series, and 'one make' fits the bill.
From my point of view a control tyre makes sense as it means that the biggest performance difference will be the rider, which should give us a level playing field and better racing. I would still prefer to have wets available since they DO make a difference when it's wet funnily enough-however you would be surprised how fast you can go on road legal tyres in the wet on a racetrack. Don't forget on track there are no diesel spills, manhole covers, overbanding etc so grip is fairly constant. I don't believe that you need warmers, especially as you will be using moulded tread road legal tyres, but if one uses them then everyone needs them. If we are going to start having a list of 'legal' tyres then it is just going to make policing this that much more difficult-what am I supposed to say-'sorry mate you can't race, you've got the wrong tyres on'...............?
Basically if we go control tyre it will be one type + possibly a wet unless the overall concensus is that you don't want a wet. As to whether we go Bridgestone-well Ducati are now using them in GP's for 2005 which gives us a nice synergy. If the vote says NO to Bridgestone but yes to control then I am prepared to approach another manufacturer but we may not get a deal, in which case you will end up with the restrictions of a control tyre without any of the advantages.

Here endeth the lesson-for a while at least I hope!

John
Old 15-Dec-2004, 22:15
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
Quote:
Originally posted by tp-996

Including Antony's promise to bump me off at lunchtime - ask Chi, he was there!!!

For some reason "skittles" keep popping into my head!

I've not met anyone who didn't like Pirelli Diablos (in any flavour). Like Ali, I would prefer to run one set of tyres that are decent in both wet and dry - mainly because I look really stupid riding around with a pair of spare tyres around my waist!

If the decision is made to have separate tyres for wet and dry, will there be someone at the races that will be able to change them on the day?
Old 15-Dec-2004, 22:25
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
If Bridgestones are the preffered choice - then I'd be happy to use those.

Presumably we'd get a preferencial rate on the purchase of these too?

What's in their range? BT012SS or similar?

http://mc.bridgestone.co.jp/en/produ...ry/onroad.html

I haven't used Bridgestones before, so don't know what's good or bad in the range.

Tim
Old 15-Dec-2004, 23:47
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
I'll be more than happy to run Bridgestones as, like I said up there, this is my preferred choice of tyre.

I've run BT010s on the 748, which have been superb, and now have a set of 012SS on there, although have yet to run them properly. They are also superb in the wet.

The idea of cheap tyres and a one-make, no tyre warmers is very appealing to me from both the "level playing field" perspective as well as the cost issues associated.

I guess it depends on what everyone else wants - level playing field? cheap tyres? your own choice?
Old 16-Dec-2004, 01:40
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
if you are going for a control tyre you may as well forget wets, kind of defeats the object of lower cost re wheels etc for me pirelli's and tyre warmers. but if someone wont give us a deal.....use someone that will. i think this will be a growing series and as far as im concerned the sponsors that get in first will benefit most. their choice.
Old 16-Dec-2004, 01:43
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
This is a extract from a U2U I wrote earlier

As for tyres I would rather pay £30 to £40 more to buy tyres of my choice than have cheaper Bridgestones, I trust my life with Pirellis and I don't with Bridgestones.
Secondly my other bikes are on Pirellis so I have a feel for them, and may well race my R6 or 916 in other races at the same meetings and do not want to be riding on different makes, hopefully this may also apply to others later in the season as one or two others may want to enter there bigger Dukes in the SoT so I feel we should all be able to ride on tyres we are happy with.
Thirdly some of the 600s will also be peoples road bikes so again they may prefer their own tyre preference.

Kev
Old 16-Dec-2004, 10:47
Mille

After some thought I have voted for control tyres no warmers. But if we go ahead with this I think the entrants should have a say in the tyre make/type.
In my case I hate michelins 2 very fast front end washouts have left me with absolutely no confidence, dunlop 207rrs are cheap but I have found them unpredictable when cool, I have never used bridgestone tyres due to 2 friends highsiding on coldish tyres.

May I suggest a further Italian link and go for diablo corsas which are nearly a s good as supercorsas/rennesports( my prefered tyre) but still have adequate tread for wet weather, and apparently are grippy even when cold.

dave

this could be due to the fact the bike I am getting is already shod with new corsas