Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-Jan-2005, 01:57
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

Well, suspension is a step down. No Showa in the front or Ohlins in the back. I put an Ohlins on the back of my SS and that was worthwhile, but only after I had put some miles on the original. WOuld be nice to have so you can adjust for rider load. Not having it in the front is a negative point, but not something you can't live with for awhile. A swap in the future is possible, if you really feel the need....best thing about it is the ability to adjust for a variety of riding styles and venues....track days, touring, sport riding, wheelies (LOL) etc., but not having it is not lethal and shouldn't spoil the fun of having a Ducati.
Old 25-Jan-2005, 10:19
Ducati Corse

MDB is right, suck it and see. Jools has done the Calofornia Superbike school on his ST2 and most folk would have a job keeping up with him on road or track. If you're not happy with the fork after doing some miles get Maxton to 'personalise it' to your exact requirements for £200.
Old 25-Jan-2005, 12:21
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by Henners
MDB is right, suck it and see. Jools has done the Calofornia Superbike school on his ST2 and most folk would have a job keeping up with him on road or track. If you're not happy with the fork after doing some miles get Maxton to 'personalise it' to your exact requirements for £200.

Ooooh! Only just read this thread. That's a very nice thing to say about my riding Henners, but it's not just me...my riding buddy Glyn is just as quick as me (if not quicker) so it's either something about the BHC region that breeds quickish blokes on ST2's (could be that we get to learn from some really good riders), or the ST2 is really a very under rated bike indeed.

I think it's a bit of both, but more down to it being a very good bike than it is down to the rider. ST's really do handle very well indeed, although my 2001 bike has fully adjustable forks - I think ST2's switched to 'pre-load only' sometime around 2002 and that carried over to the ST3. If you're really concerned about adjustable suspension then fork legs come up on eBay all the time, but to be honest the adjustability of forks and suspension only serves to confuse most people anyway, so I would be inclined to stick with what I had if I had an ST3 and get it set up by an expert company for my weight and riding style. The Desmodue series racing bikes also have non-adjustable forks and as Neil Spalding at Sigma says, you'd be surprised at what you can do with different spring rates, thinner or thicker oil, more or less oil etc.

The ST2 might only put out 85-ish bhp, but it's very, very useable power. You can use most of it all the time instead of being worried that it'll suddenly come into it's powerband and spin up into highside city. It's also just about as much power as most people can sensibly use on the road, unless you're a straight line point and squirt merchant, although it could probably do with another 15-20 bhp and breath a bit better at the top end - just like an ST3 in fact.
Old 26-Jan-2005, 00:30

RBW,

I have an ST3 for the last 8 months. Just going in for its 6k service in a couple of weeks. It takes about 1k to fully loosen up. Reliability has been 100% so far. Had it over in Scotland and Wales this summer and intend to do France his year. The standard suspension settings have proved bang on for solo riding. Had plenty of Jap machines before a dedicated Ducati dealer opened in Dublin. None are a patch on the Duke. Tried out an S4. More powerful at the top end but not as easy to drive in town. Suspension was better at the back end on the 4. I commute every day by bike so I went for the ST3. No regrets and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Mick
Old 26-Jan-2005, 01:05
500SD

Mood: Happy again with Numptystrada
What is life like with a Ducati you ask. I have just finished my first year with a Ducati and here are my findings
1) It is great fun
2) It can be frustrating
3) it is not cheap but is worth every penny
4) It can improve your biking social life. well at least one of the 2 clubs can. I will leave you to decide whiich one I mean
5) You have to get used to telling people the clutch is meant to sound like that
6) You have to explain to your non biking workmates that they don't all cost at £17000
Old 26-Jan-2005, 01:29
500SD

Mood: 2 for 1 mmm :)
Its a Fact Ducati's make us look younger, thats why we buy them.

lol im only 24 dont need to try and look young unlike the average age of this place (*cough* 60)

/ian
Old 28-Jan-2005, 20:04

Thanks for all the feedback, I've been away for a couple of days, and very interested in the recent replies about suspension and the ST3.

Hopefully I might bump into one or two of you up at Cornerspeed one weekend, although I might wait until the weather improves a bit

Cheers all.

RBW